Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 4/Coupe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
What is the most popular Sports car? Mustang
What is year in year out rated as one of the best driver’s cars? BMW M4
What comes to mind when you think about a muscle car? Camaro ZL1
What comes to mind when you think luxury sports coupe? Lexus LC
What comes to mind when you think of fine engineered coupe? Audi RS5

I understand that coupes are somewhat niche and or less popular now than a few years ago. However take all the cars above and add other coupes and you get a large number. Tesla Could easily/inexpensively develop a Model 3 coupe as a Model 4 that could challenge them all.

While the Roadster is going to be the halo I still feel Tesla need to offer a sports car type for the masses can actually afford. I also believe that it would make a great on road ambassador/advertisement for Tesla. It would get people’s attention more than the sedan/SUVs do and help drive Tesla awareness.

I am biased and don’t care for or need a sedan. I hoped against hope that when the Model 3 was unveiled that there would be a coupe version. So for now I bought an ELR (unicorn) to help get me by and looking for any sign of a coupe. Seems odd that there has been little to no talk about wanting a Tesla coupe.

For those that have never seen an ELR. It is an extended range/serial hybrid Cadillac EV that was far over priced and a total failure in the market. Only about 3000 of them were made.

IMG_4466.jpg

I like the category (owned a G37S), but at this point Tesla needs to be making only vehicles which will guarantee a profit. Sport Coupes are really rare now. The Model Y is probably the most important thing for them next. In fact, given the market, I would have personally built the Model Y before the Model 3. The small CUV market is still expanding like crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and spectrum
I personally hoped the new Roadster would have been a more attainable sports car, built on a Model 3 platform. Maybe with a mid 50 starting price, or something like that. I definitely would have bought one to replace my 330i coupe.

But now I am not hoping for a Model 3 coupe soon. Like @Xminus6 mentioned, the Model Y is more important in terms of sales and the new Roadster in terms of ego project. Maybe at some point in the future, after people have gotten a truck that can carry a truck, we might get a cool coupe.

I'd also like a wagon, but Tesla consistently ignores what I want...

Completely agree and understand that Tesla NEEDS the Y and even the Pickup. These are the high profit high demand vehicles. One could even argue the Y should have come before the 3.

My point is a 4 coupe could be relatively easily built on the same line using most of the same parts as the 3. Also a coupe can be more profitable than a sedan. Just look at Ford. They plan on dropping all cars for SUV's except the Mustang. I believe Ford sees the value in keeping a sporty car on the roads in masses wearing the name plate vs a sedan.

I just believe Tesla and ME (and R.S.) would benefit from a 'poor man's' Roadster.

Also keeping with Musk's original nomenclature. :D The eventual city car could be the Model 2 (or the Roadster) and the pickup the Model U.

2 S3XY 4 U :eek: :eek:

I really, really would like a Model S coupé. I'm not sure on the headlights on the 3 for a coupé. Basically I want a replacement for my Peugeot 406 Coupé that I got rid of (so pretty - Pininfarina design based on the Ferrari F360 dimensions) and haven't been able to find anything I like to replace it with ever since.

hyDlPHK.jpg

The thing is as your post points out, your car was a sales failure. So was mine. I can fully understand why Tesla is going for Sedans, SUVs and Crossovers.

Last edited:
I really, really would like a Model S coupé. I'm not sure on the headlights on the 3 for a coupé. Basically I want a replacement for my Peugeot 406 Coupé that I got rid of (so pretty - Pininfarina design based on the Ferrari F360 dimensions) and haven't been able to find anything I like to replace it with ever since.

hyDlPHK.jpg

The thing is as your post points out, your car was a sales failure. So was mine. I can fully understand why Tesla is going for Sedans, SUVs and Crossovers.
should have kept it - nice lines

Reactions: Lasairfion

hyDlPHK.jpg

How about the new 504 show car? e-Legend