Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 6, Six Seater - long trips and 2nd row comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
We went and drove all the teslas yesterday and are having a tough time deciding between the X 6 seater and S.

We are a family of 4 (no car seats). Our needs:

- Long range
- Comfortable first and 2nd row
- Potential to fit in some bikes in the rear

Questions:
- Is it practical to put in a bike inside the S and X without having to remove the front wheel and NOT having to fold down 2nd row?

On the X:
- The biggest issue we seem to have is we are not sure if our kids will be comfortable on the 2nd row because there are no arm rests and there is no longer a center console option. Are there 3rd party additions that can offer an arm rest of some form for the X 2nd row? I searched around quite a bit and the only option I saw was an electric cooler...

Thank you.

Reactions: dailo
answers:

bikes:
i don't recommend putting bikes instead the X. i actually did so yesterday with my daughters little bike for a quick test. as that did fit, i was very careful not to jack any interior fabrics, etc. i much rather not do that again. my recommendation is buy a nice tow hitch bike rack and ensure your X has the tow package. the bike rack i have for the 2" tow hitch is one from one up USA (Products – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE). it is the best bike rack out there, beyond stable and awesome for loading/unloading bikes. its modular so you can expand as needed. i can post a older pic of the rack with my Yeti bike on it if needed (it was with our older Acura MDX).

6 seats:
we have a 6 seater X. granted it does have the center console which again is great for kids, so they can put their small things in there and have an arm rest. i'm not sure i personally would want an 6 X without the center console. however, without it, if you use the 3rd row alot, kids can slide through to get back there without too much issue. i have 3 kids and don't mind moving the 2nd seat(s) forward for getting access to the 3rd row. so to sum it up, you may want to look at 2018 X's as i believe that was the last year the center console was offered; though im not 100% on that.

Hi,
We went and drove all the teslas yesterday and are having a tough time deciding between the X 6 seater and S.
- Long range

Questions:
- Is it practical to put in a bike inside the S and X without having to remove the front wheel and NOT having to fold down 2nd row?

On the X:
- The biggest issue we seem to have is we are not sure if our kids will be comfortable on the 2nd row because there are no arm rests and there is no longer a center console option. Are there 3rd party additions that can offer an arm rest of some form for the X 2nd row? I searched around quite a bit and the only option I saw was an electric cooler...
Thank you.
My vote is X by a lot for many reasons. I have an X and put a bike in a short while ago but had to remove the front wheel. It'd probably work with the 7 or 5 seater that has a 'bench' for the 2nd row that folds.

I doubt the kids care about the arm rest? Did they think they would? I have a the electric cooler and it is outstanding for roadtrips. Kids would love that benefit for both needs. The fridge option allows you to take it out if you are hauling the kids and 1 or 2 of their friends around (access 3rd row quickly between 2nd row seats). I have the 35 fridge listed below:
Renewing the debate on the best Fridge/Freezer for 6 seater MX

Probably consider a bike rack. There is not much room even when you take the front wheel off for extra things due to angling bike plus I think I had to push 1 or both 2nd row seats forward. Just saw this bike rack review:

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Hi,

- Long range

Questions:

On the X:

Thank you.

Had 6 seater 2019 LR Model X. 2 kids age 15 and 10 complained of no arm rest and uncomfortable 2nd row seat on long drive.

It's because the independent 2nd row seats recline like an "L" - that raises the seat under your lower thigh and reclines the back part (but not much to be comfortable on long trip).

We opted for a Model Y when we had a chance to replace the X. Ys 2nd row seats are more comfortable - can recline a lot more vs X 6 seater 2nd row, and does not dig under lower thigh. Middle back folds down as an arm rest. My kids liked the seat compared to X.

You can also order the Y with tow hitch for bike rack.

I know OP is asking S v X, but might want to test drive the Y, and compare seats.

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Very helpful. Some notes:

1. Yes, I do think my kids will need some place to keep their arms, especial for 3+ hour drives - this is looking at how they use rests today - we have a lexus and a mercedes sedan and their arms are always on the middle arm rest on trips

2. The fridge option is, well, an option for sure. It would have been nice if they offered a version which had a padded arm rest on top. I can see the utility, of this approach.

3. On the Model Y, it is sad to know their seats are more comfortable! I mean, happy for the Y, but it's odd that for a 100K vehicle, some of these basic amenities are not accounted for. Back to the Y, we looked inside, both the 3 and the Y were too spartan for the look we wanted. We are used to better looking interiors, to be very honest.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Here is the 'arm' heights of the 35 fridge I mentioned above. I bought the exterior wrap for it and the picture just shows it with the side flipped up. It is normally loosely down.

Obviously you could wrap the top however you wanted. The lid lifts up from the right and is hinged on the left in this picture. ie. driver and front passenger accessable.

s0Qp9Zd.jpg

Didn’t know they stopped making center console. Is there a reason why? I got it with my 2018, it makes it look like a van without it. Hopefully you can find a decent aftermarket one

Attachments

• 13F951BE-2130-4714-B694-5A07A2DE8751.jpeg
    13F951BE-2130-4714-B694-5A07A2DE8751.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 6,626
Thanks - the 35 does look like a reasonable alternative that I can haul in and out.
do you think it makes sense to wait till later this year? I keep reading posts that the X may have interior upgrades this year? I'd hate to spend 100k and and have a new model out in 2-3 months that just might address some of my core needs better. Is there a schedule on when new design updates may be announced?

Between those two, the 6 seater X is the choice.

We have a 2020 that we got in March. The second row is super comfortable and I am glad to have the space between the two seats since we have 4 kids.

that being said you should take family and see how they fit in a 3. If it is good or a bit tight it may make sense to try a Y... hitch rack for the bikes.

• Disagree
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
1. Yes, I do think my kids will need some place to keep their arms, especial for 3+ hour drives - this is looking at how they use rests today - we have a lexus and a mercedes sedan and their arms are always on the middle arm rest on trips.

Hi,
You should check with Tesla about the 2nd row center console. I just had my MX 6 seater center console installed after purchase of the vehicle for just under $800. Car came from factory without console as it was no longer available to order configured from factory.
Best addition to my car, same concern for added comfort.
Screenshot_20200518-094808_Drive.jpg