TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model D, Driver Assist, Model X and Model 3 Test Drives

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jackl1956, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

Thought I would fish for information on test drive availability (time frames) for the Model D variants, the Model X, and the Model 3. I realize that much of this will be speculation. Any thoughts?

2. Seattle

Seattle Member

I spoke to my sales rep and they said maybe a month, but they have no real info.

3. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

Since the media is overwhelmingly biased regarding TSLA, and the stock market is beset with a fossil fuel "endowment effect", I am growing increasing convinced that TSLA price action is/will be driven by test drives. They cannot negatively spin the reality of a test drive.

4. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

we should then maybe see test drive articles in December. Maybe late November?

5. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

#5 Curt Renz, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Here's my favorite video of a test drive at the D event. First there is screaming and then a man in the car asks, "Where do I put my deposit down?"

6. AlexT

AlexT Member

So will there be retrofits available?

7. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

No.

Buy a new one.

Sell your car.

Possibly Tesla will trade in yours.

8. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Indeed, those are a consumer's options when any manufacturer improves its products. At least in the case of a car, the trade-in option is viable. With most other products, the older version just hits the trash bin.

9. pz1975

pz1975 Member

Just to be 100% sure, I specifically asked my local SC if I could retrofit either the autopilot or the dual motor.

The answer was no - no retrofits available for either.

10. jhm

jhm Active Member

What's the "endowment effect"? I'm not familiar with that term.

11. amzng_ev

amzng_ev Member

Model X rides will probably begin after the first batch of Signatures went out, as like the S. The first time getting behind the wheel may be another 3 months. And Model 3 has yet to be announced officially, so probably 2017, at the point when they get into at least beta models.

12. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

It refers to the predilection of people to value more highly what they already own, rather than an alternative that may seem to others to be of equal or greater value.

13. jhm

jhm Active Member

Ah, thanks, I have heard of that. I guess it's one reason why people need to at least test drive a Tesla; otherwise, they may think the car they own is really terrific.

14. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

I originally started this thread (in the investment section) because I felt that test drives were/are/will be the driving force behind tsla price action. Apparently, the mods saw it differently.

15. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Hi, Jack: regardless of how you saw the thread evolving, it went its own merry way down a different path. Best to give a thread a good hard shove in the direction you'd like to see it take by (a) titling it to shape the directions, e.g. "Effect of new model test drives on TSLA" and (b) crafting the first post to reinforce that direction.

16. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

And there is an Inverse Endowment Effect regarding the D Version versus the plain ol' oh-so-dated P85 Model S...at least for this pitiful, woebegone, drooling consumer. Who has an unlikely ally in his wife, as she thinks the safety features of autopilot are spectacular....

Poor OP Jack - too much fun taking this thread off in all directions...