Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, here is another article that says it's around $30,000, which is wrong, it's $35,000. If they use E for Economy, everyone better be ready for the nay-sayers to say that's wrong and they are manipulating the term. I'm assuming they would be using the term like for an airplane, meaning general/everyone, but not everyone can afford a $35,000. I'm not going to get on my soap box again, but they are playing with fire here. Now if the price was in the mid to high 20s, that would make sense.

Where would you draw the line? Many people can't afford a $20,000 car either. $35,000 compared to the $80,000 or so Model S seems like an economy car. It is all relative. There will always be naysayers no matter what they do so no need to worry about that.

Where would you draw the line? Many people can't afford a $20,000 car either. $35,000 compared to the $80,000 or so Model S seems like an economy car. It is all relative. There will always be naysayers no matter what they do so no need to worry about that.

Yeah, I get that, makes sense. I'm just going off the price of the other affordable EV, the LEAF. It seems to sell pretty good with that range.

I think auto companies like coming up with letters that sound good - and may or may not mean anything. S - could be Sedan or could be like the S class of Mercedes. E could be Economy/Everyone/Excellent or E class like of Mercedes. I suspect it is the latter.

Yeah, I kind of agree with this. Nobody asks what the S and E stand for with Mercedes, although they did originally stand for something: E for Einspritzmotor (fuel injected) and S for Sonderklasse (special class). However, I'm really surprised that it isn't the Model C, since it will be competing with the C class (as far as I know, the C doesn't stand for anything, it's just part of the A-class, B-class, C-class progression). Or if you go by Euro-segments, then Gen III is more likely to be a D segment than an E segment. There's always a chance that this trademark isn't in fact for the Gen III, but something else. I assume they have a grand naming scheme in mind, but it's hard to say what it is.

Last edited:
Yeah, I kind of agree with this. Nobody asks what the S and E stand for with Mercedes, although they did originally stand for something: E for Einspritzmotor (fuel injected) and S for Sonderklasse (special class). However, I'm really surprised that it isn't the Model C, since it will be competing with the C class (as far as I know, the C doesn't stand for anything, it's just part of the A-class, B-class, C-class progression). Or if you go by Euro-segments, then Gen III is more likely to be a D segment than an E segment. There's always a chance that this trademark isn't in fact for the Gen III, but something else. I assume they have a grand naming scheme in mind, but it's hard to say what it is.

I agree the association with the S and E classes of Mercedes is very important since they are among the best known global brands that define the market Tesla is selling in. I think the model E is probably better positioned if associated with the E class since that's upscale of the C (and about the same size). The fact that they are targeting under 35k in North America which may be more comparable to C doesn't really change this. In Europe and China Tesla prices will be considerably higher because of import costs and tariffs and while this will in fact be Tesla's entry level model it is better positioned as comparable to a "better than entry level" Mercedes.

It may also be a little bit of Tesla humor... I'm sure many had wondered if the next car would be named the Model T, so he picks E which rhymes but upends expectations (and avoids people calling Tesla presumptuous). Personally I prefer the sound of Model C, it also rhymes, and fits with the car being third generation.

Could Model E just be a ruse out of frustration with trademark squatters (just joking).

I have applied for Trademarks before and it is my understanding that you cannot "sit" on them.

The goods or services that the mark applies to must have been used in interstate commerce once (even in test) to show it is a legitimate "product".

As such, I don't understand how Gen3 could be Model E, unless it's further along than we've been led to believe OR that maybe the "E" is a variant of the S; perhaps the moniker for 4 wheel drive S or even a convertible?

Any IP lawyers care to add?

Are you buying them now at $165,000,000 or do you expect TSLA to tank sometime before the GenIII reveal? :tongue:
Ha-ha. That would be a helluva thing for sure.

"TSLA clearly distracted. Rumors of Gen3 reveal likely to disrupt Model X development."
"TSLA Model X at risk. Skipping ahead to Gen3 to save company."
<brianman buys the stock for pennies>
"Woops, we were wrong."