Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, and they are still reporting the price as $30,000 instead of 35

Maybe. But Franz was quoted as confirming the Gen III is officially the Model E. We'll see if he later says that he was just joking too. I don't see why not though. Model E is a perfectly good name and no one has freaked out about the S - E - X reference. It goes along with the occasional whimsical/entertaining touches that are put into the car like the music going to 11.

Oh, I suppose that by 2015 the "MSRP creep" will have nudged up a bit, just like the $50,000 Model S rather quietly went to $70,000.
I expect that we will start hearing "$30,000 ... after rebates" and that little qualifier should soak up $7,500 of price inflation without customers waiting in the wings to go ballistic.

Let's face it -- it will still be worth it.

-- Ardie

Oh, I suppose that by 2015 the "MSRP creep" will have nudged up a bit, just like the $50,000 Model S rather quietly went to $70,000.
I expect that we will start hearing "$30,000 ... after rebates" and that little qualifier should soak up $7,500 of price inflation without customers waiting in the wings to go ballistic.

-- Ardie

I have a mental target. If it doesn't hit that target I think I might cry (and wait for Gen 4).

-- Ardie

Yea, I got suckered in by the promise of a $50k Model S, and had to bail when I discovered what it was really going to cost me. Let's just hope Gen III comes in at a workable price.

I guess that also in the case of Gen III, as it happens now for the Model S, it will be possible to have several choices and the cost will be in a range that will be much lower with respect to the Model S. The cost for Gen III will be lower not only for reasons of size but mainly because in 3 years (when Gen III will be produced) the EV technology will be both improved and cheaper. In particular the cost of the battery pack will be much lower. So I think that we don't have to worry too much about this matter of the price of Gen III.

Rebates might be gone or on the way out by then, once Tesla hits 200K cars sold.

Between Model S and Model X, I anticipate all the Tesla rebates will be gone by the time Gen III hits the market. Maybe the first few Gen III owners will get lucky, but the rebates will definitely not be available for long if they are at all.

My plan is to simply budget $40-50k for either a used Model S or a nicely equipped Gen III, whatever is available at that price point when my Volt lease is up.

Rebates might be gone or on the way out by then, once Tesla hits 200K cars sold.

This has come up before so here is a re-post. The number of people who can get at least some tax credit will depend on how many cars Tesla makes in the year after the 200k car is sold.
Either way when people realize this the crush to place an order will be huge. My order goes in on the first day. I'm figuring $50k and that still won't be the most expensive Gen3/Model E configuration.

http://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-48_IRB/ar09.html

Section 2. BACKGROUND

Section 30D provides for a credit for certain new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles. The credit is equal to the sum of: (1) $2,500, plus (2) for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. Under § 30D(b)(3), that portion of the credit determined by battery capacity cannot exceed $5,000. Therefore, the total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500. The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period. After December 31, 2009, a vehicle that qualifies for a credit under § 30 does not qualify for the credit under § 30D[/QUOTE]

This has come up before so here is a re-post. The number of people who can get at least some tax credit will depend on how many cars Tesla makes in the year after the 200k car is sold.
Either way when people realize this the crush to place an order will be huge. My order goes in on the first day. I'm figuring $50k and that still won't be the most expensive Gen3/Model E configuration.

http://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-48_IRB/ar09.html

Section 2. BACKGROUND

Section 30D provides for a credit for certain new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles. The credit is equal to the sum of: (1) $2,500, plus (2) for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. Under § 30D(b)(3), that portion of the credit determined by battery capacity cannot exceed $5,000. Therefore, the total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500. The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period. After December 31, 2009, a vehicle that qualifies for a credit under § 30 does not qualify for the credit under § 30D
[/QUOTE]

Elon Musk stated on multiple occasions and most recently on last earnings call Gen III pricing is WITHOUT Government Incentives. So, Tesla does not plan on the incentive to be available and is planning accordingly. $30K is $30K. Discussion here: Gen3 @ $35k without any government voodoo

Also, I'd speculate the fully loaded Model E with all the bells and whistles will be in the range of $50,000 to $54,500.

Whether Elon's pricing is with or without incentives wasn't the point of my post which came from the thread you mentioned. Some people will still be able to get some or all of the tax credit. However, it won't last long. Unless something has changed it doesn't stop as soon as they reach 200k in sales. The incentive gets reduced for another year just at a lower credit. 50% for six months than 25% for six months. Then the federal credit ends completely.

Well, no one really knows what the price is going to be, and maybe not even Tesla knows for sure at this point.

You are correct, but in the past year of interviews, Elon and others have started using the $35,000 number when it was 30 two or 3 years ago. It would be nice if the journalists would at least keep up with what's being said, even if it is a best guess right now, so they don't lead the general public to believe something that is not.

You are correct, but in the past year of interviews, Elon and others have started using the $35,000 number when it was 30 two or 3 years ago. It would be nice if the journalists would at least keep up with what's being said, even if it is a best guess right now, so they don't lead the general public to believe something that is not.

Elon and others have used with increasing frequency that it will cost half the cost of the Model S. Using that approach will make even more sense when it is finally available and adjusting for the increasing cost of cars in general over the next 2-3 years.
Current base price for a Model is $71,070 without the tax credit and $72,240 with destination & regulatory doc charges.

Like others, I take the "$35K without government voodoo" as a starting point - just like how you CAN get a $71K Model S but would be all angsty over NOT having the 85KWh battery and superchargers.

I fully expect *my* Model E to be well into the 40s and you better believe I'm ordering ASAP to take advantage of the tax situation.