Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW 3 Series 2013 Gran Turismo with a base price of about $50k is similar to what I think Franz will come up with. It has lots of storage that Elon loves and reasonably attractive. Fran of course will do a better job.
14" shorter and 6" narrower than the Model S. 12" longer though then the regular BMW 3 Series. Split the length difference between the regular BMW Series 3 and the Gran Turismo, keep the hatchback and Tesla will have a great car.
A recent review was very positive with the only negative comment was the Gran Turismo didn't have true 3 series handling. Not a problem for Tesla.

bmw gran back seats down too.PNG

bmw gran side view.PNG

bmw gran front.PNG

Last edited:
Yeah, and they are still reporting the price as $30,000 instead of 35

I _still_ haven't seen a direct quote from Franz (or anyone else at Telsa) that states the Gen III = Model E. Yahoo is quoting an AutoBild article, but if you go to that article and translate it he does not make that statement.

http://news.yahoo.com/tesla-model-e-debut-detroit-2015-113747314.html

points to this one:
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/tesla-chefdesigner-von-holzhausen-im-interview-4485757.html

Does anyone else have any direct quotes from Tesla staff that equate Gen III to Model E?

Just have to wait since I don't believe there is anything official.

Maybe. But Franz was quoted as confirming the Gen III is officially the Model E. We'll see if he later says that he was just joking too. I don't see why not though. Model E is a perfectly good name and no one has freaked out about the S - E - X reference. It goes along with the occasional whimsical/entertaining touches that are put into the car like the music going to 11.

Yeah, and they are still reporting the price as $30,000 instead of 35

During Elon's fireside chat he says, again, that trademarking Model E and Model Y is a joke.

Elon Musk: Tesla Motors CEO, Stanford GSB 2013 Entrepreneurial Company of the Year - YouTube

At 39:00.

BMW 3 Series 2013 Gran Turismo with a base price of about $50k is similar to what I think Franz will come up with. It has lots of storage that Elon loves and reasonably attractive. Fran of course will do a better job.
14" shorter and 6" narrower than the Model S. 12" longer though then the regular BMW 3 Series. Split the length difference between the regular BMW Series 3 and the Gran Turismo, keep the hatchback and Tesla will have a great car.
A recent review was very positive with the only negative comment was the Gran Turismo didn't have true 3 series handling. Not a problem for Tesla.

View attachment 38144

View attachment 38145
View attachment 38146
I agree with you on the appropriate size for the E, but Franz has got to knock it out of the ballpark on styling. Yes, the Gran Turismo is "reasonably attractive" now, but it doesn't come close to the level of styling that Tesla owners will expect. When the Model E arrives in the market, the Gran Turismo will be grossly out of date. Tesla needs to be 4-7 years ahead of the styling curve!

I _still_ haven't seen a direct quote from Franz (or anyone else at Telsa) that states the Gen III = Model E. Yahoo is quoting an AutoBild article, but if you go to that article and translate it he does not make that statement.

http://news.yahoo.com/tesla-model-e-debut-detroit-2015-113747314.html

points to this one:
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/tesla-chefdesigner-von-holzhausen-im-interview-4485757.html

Does anyone else have any direct quotes from Tesla staff that equate Gen III to Model E?

This is covered in the first post of the Gen III summary thread - Gen III - summary

Name: GenIII Sedan will go by the name Model E - source: Entry-level Tesla will be called the Model E - report , James Chen of Tesla at Virginia Supercharger opening (3:10 in the video) - Tesla Richmond Super Charger - James Chen, Tesla Motors - YouTube

Third generation Tesla - Half the price and smaller ?

Hi,

The article in CBS This Morning by Tesla that Elon Musk announced the third version of Model-S which will be released in 3 years will be smaller and half the price...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-mu...recap_nc01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

Does anyone have more info on this?
Is there a picture model anywhere of what that car will look like?
Anyone think its worth waiting that long to get a Tesla at half the price??
Will it be close to the standard Model S has set or more of an economical version?

Thanks!

Hi,

The article in CBS This Morning by Tesla that Elon Musk announced the third version of Model-S which will be released in 3 years will be smaller and half the price...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-mu...recap_nc01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

Does anyone have more info on this?
Is there a picture model anywhere of what that car will look like?
Anyone think its worth waiting that long to get a Tesla at half the price??
Will it be close to the standard Model S has set or more of an economical version?

Thanks!
Click through this very thread and this one:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22982-Gen-III-summary

Some interesting info and comments on this article that was originally posted on 9 to 5 Mac, apparently there was some further talk about the apple rumors in the linked video.

http://insideevs.com/videos-elon-mu...e-battery-cell-costs-energy-density-and-more/

Hadn't heard the 48kwh battery number for Model E before btu if they can get 200 EPA miles out of that size of pack that would be great. that number may also speak to some different styling (in comparison to Model S at least) to get the Cd way down.

Some interesting info and comments on this article that was originally posted on 9 to 5 Mac, apparently there was some further talk about the apple rumors in the linked video.

http://insideevs.com/videos-elon-mu...e-battery-cell-costs-energy-density-and-more/

Hadn't heard the 48kwh battery number for Model E before btu if they can get 200 EPA miles out of that size of pack that would be great. that number may also speak to some different styling (in comparison to Model S at least) to get the Cd way down.

I watched the video clip that this story stems from and Elon simply says that the car will be 20% smaller than the Model S. The 48kWh pack was not said and was the conclusion of the cleantechnica reporter that wrote the article. 20% of a 60kWh is 48kWh, though this is his assumption. We shall see what the actual car has when Tesla or Elon actually announces it.

I've also been projecting a 45-48kWh pack for the Model E, which should be possible if they build a very efficient platform.
I'm assuming this will be the base model though. I would anticipate that they would offer a larger pack option as well maybe in the 60kwh range. Assuming they stick with an all Al body, they have to get improved efficiency from; overall weight, Cd/body design, power electronics efficiency. The Power electronics piece shouldn't be underestimated since a small gain in efficiency is multiplied several times between discharge and regen.

I'm assuming this will be the base model though. I would anticipate that they would offer a larger pack option as well maybe in the 60kwh range. Assuming they stick with an all Al body, they have to get improved efficiency from; overall weight, Cd/body design, power electronics efficiency. The Power electronics piece shouldn't be underestimated since a small gain in efficiency is multiplied several times between discharge and regen.

If they were going to offer a 60kwh pack wouldn't they just offer the same one in the Model S ? Problem is that size would not fit and if it did or could would they not offer the same 60 kwh and 85 kwh packs from the Model S in the Model E ? I think that would be great and then offer a larger pack in the Model S that would also be used in the Model X.

If they were going to offer a 60kwh pack wouldn't they just offer the same one in the Model S ? Problem is that size would not fit and if it did or could would they not offer the same 60 kwh and 85 kwh packs from the Model S in the Model E ? I think that would be great and then offer a larger pack in the Model S that would also be used in the Model X.
I agree that would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath. The packaging and weight problems they have to solve on Model E are hard enough as it is with out trying to shoehorn the Model S/X pack format in. But who knows... Elon and Tesla have a habit of exceeding expectations.

I agree that would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath. The packaging and weight problems they have to solve on Model E are hard enough as it is with out trying to shoehorn the Model S/X pack format in. But who knows... Elon and Tesla have a habit of exceeding expectations.

I agree. My point was two fold. Why reinvent the wheel ? They already have a 60kwh pack. And we already know it more than likely won't fit in the Model E. So what is the larger pack that we can expect since it will need to be less than 60kwh UNLESS the new chemistry allows more storage in a smaller space if it is ready in time. But even if it does they will probably not be going for the newest technology in the cheapest car. What does that leave us with ? Perhaps 3 packs ? One in the frunk, one under the body and one in the trunk ?

I agree. My point was two fold. Why reinvent the wheel ? They already have a 60kwh pack. And we already know it more than likely won't fit in the Model E. So what is the larger pack that we can expect since it will need to be less than 60kwh UNLESS the new chemistry allows more storage in a smaller space if it is ready in time. But even if it does they will probably not be going for the newest technology in the cheapest car. What does that leave us with ? Perhaps 3 packs ? One in the frunk, one under the body and one in the trunk ?
I Don't know that we ever got a firm answer on this but I thought there is actually "extra" physical space in the Model S 60kwh pack (as compared to the 85kwh pack it is slightly lighter), so maybe fitting that amount of batteries into the model E pack wouldn't be as hard as we think, when combined with the increase in energy density we are assuming they will have to have for the model E pack.

I Don't know that we ever got a firm answer on this but I thought there is actually "extra" physical space in the Model S 60kwh pack (as compared to the 85kwh pack it is slightly lighter), so maybe fitting that amount of batteries into the model E pack wouldn't be as hard as we think, when combined with the increase in energy density we are assuming they will have to have for the model E pack.

That would be awesome !! Just a new skin on the old pack would be great !!