Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model LS V8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the idea, kind of a reverse take on the normal hybrid performance car (ICE to the rear, electric in the front). Packaging does seem like it would be a tough challenge - Rich's LS3 is a tight squeeze longitudinally, so a transverse LS4 will need some serious work. Assuming the battery coolant system needs to stay, a second system for the ICE?

I am going to swap the front motor of a salvage Model S with an LS4 V8 engine, space permitting. I see many advantages to such a build, what do you think? What would it be worth when done? I look forward to your thoughts.

I personally wouldn't pay anything for such car, unless you were Picasso, in which case I wouldn't care more what it is you did. Thinking of it as an investment unless you are famous is a stretch.

Love the idea, kind of a reverse take on the normal hybrid performance car (ICE to the rear, electric in the front). Packaging does seem like it would be a tough challenge - Rich's LS3 is a tight squeeze longitudinally, so a transverse LS4 will need some serious work. Assuming the battery coolant system needs to stay, a second system for the ICE?
Thanx! Yes a rear wheel ICE with front electric would be ideal, but very hard to accomplish with any existing platform. I was wondering if Chevy is planning this with the corvette. That would be the perfect sports car in my opinion.

Yes, space is an issue here. My estimates says it will work, but I really need a tape measure on an LS4 to be sure. I will undoubtedly have to relocate coolant pumps and AC compressor. I plan to keep the systems separate, except for maybe the 12v system.

What do you think it would be worth?

I am going to swap the front motor of a salvage Model S with an LS4 V8 engine, space permitting. I see many advantages to such a build, what do you think? What would it be worth when done? I look forward to your thoughts.
Not much. I gave up my gas burners in 2002. I drove RAV4EV for years, then bought almost first Model S available to public. No more stopping at gas stations, no more oil changes, no tune ups or valve adjustments, no more oil drips on garage floor. I don't see ANY advantages to such a hybrid bastard. Nor even it it's full gas. Don't see why you'd do it. You have electric at your house. Do you have a gas pump there? Probably not.

But as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it might sell for somewhat less than you're putting into it as is the usual for these things. I wouldn't pay for a gas engine in a Tesla body.

I think the motors will work well together, and
a should be very quick.
You are wrong. The motors have totally different acceleration characteristics, and will NOT work well together. Not even close.

To say that "traction control, autopilot, and cruise control will be a challenge" is an understatement. It will be virtually impossible to get the two systems to work together without totally rewriting the entire software.

You are wrong. The motors have totally different acceleration characteristics, and will NOT work well together. Not even close.

To say that "traction control, autopilot, and cruise control will be a challenge" is an understatement. It will be virtually impossible to get the two systems to work together without totally rewriting the entire software.
You don't have any confidence problems do you? You and I are both speculating here, but I believe you are wrong. Granted there will have to be some calibration with the throttle, but I believe the both systems will see this as nothing more than accelerating down a steep hill, and react accordingly. Our a steep hill in recharge mode.

If you have anything besides speculation to back up your point, I would love to hear it.

Not much. I gave up my gas burners in 2002. I drove RAV4EV for years, then bought almost first Model S available to public. No more stopping at gas stations, no more oil changes, no tune ups or valve adjustments, no more oil drips on garage floor. I don't see ANY advantages to such a hybrid bastard. Nor even it it's full gas. Don't see why you'd do it. You have electric at your house. Do you have a gas pump there? Probably not.

But as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it might sell for somewhat less than you're putting into it as is the usual for these things. I wouldn't pay for a gas engine in a Tesla body.
You wouldn't, but others might! I personally think this configuration is how you win over the market. No range anxiety. Sounds good. Will run on electric most of the time. People can modify the gas engine for more power. If someone was actually making a hybrid like this, I might buy it and have some fun with that.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
What do you think it would be worth?
Honestly, I think this would be like a lot of project cars in that it might not be easy to find a buyer, but if you can get some pretty insane performance numbers out of it, there's always a market for that.

Shooting from the hip, but I think the more commercial hybridization process would be the other direction - I can imagine a Porsche owner being interested in dropping a Hyper9 / small drive unit into the front.

I'm never going back to ICE, so I loathe this idea :)

BUT... instead of putting combustion back in for $30k just to get more range, why not frankenstein a second battery to the car and keep it electric? You'd be the world's first 800 mile range electric vehicle owner. It'd probably be cheaper to do (although admittedly I haven't a clue). I thought I read a Tesla battery pack can be had for around $7,500.

• Love
Reactions: DavidB
I'm never going back to ICE, so I loathe this idea :)

BUT... instead of putting combustion back in for $30k just to get more range, why not frankenstein a second battery to the car and keep it electric? You'd be the world's first 800 mile range electric vehicle owner. It'd probably be cheaper to do (although admittedly I haven't a clue). I thought I read a Tesla battery pack can be had for around $7,500.
A 100kwh pack for 7,500? Can you post the link to where you read that?
Also op is talking about a 60d but even if it were a 100d there’s no way he’s getting 800 miles out of the 2 packs.

It will probably be worth a little less than the unmolested 60D you start with.
It will probably be worth junk because the cost to reverse the damage would be higher than the value of the car.

However, don't underestimate the idiot who is so bad at money that they would consider a third hand 60D, molested by some 3rd party to be a one-off, without any factory support or warranty.