Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model LS V8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After someone stole the engine from my Tesla, I realized it's not really needed and the ride is nice and quiet. Putting one back there is not worth the effort.
Keep in mind, I'm with you. But being tethered to a charger sucks when you need to cover 400 miles in a day. If the laws and automakers favored this kind of configuration, electric cars would be adopted much quicker by the general public.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
Honestly, I think this would be like a lot of project cars in that it might not be easy to find a buyer, but if you can get some pretty insane performance numbers out of it, there's always a market for that.

Shooting from the hip, but I think the more commercial hybridization process would be the other direction - I can imagine a Porsche owner being interested in dropping a Hyper9 / small drive unit into the front.
The problem with that is the batteries. But probably a market there. I want a car that runs on electric 90 percent of the time, but has the option of gas for range and power.

It will probably be worth junk because the cost to reverse the damage would be higher than the value of the car.

However, don't underestimate the idiot who is so bad at money that they would consider a third hand 60D, molested by some 3rd party to be a one-off, without any factory support or warranty.
Why so angry and negative? My guess is you've never worked on or fixed your own car. I don't need service or a warranty. I can fix most problems in the time it takes someone to drive their car down to and from the shop.

A 100kwh pack for 7,500? Can you post the link to where you read that?
Also op is talking about a 60d but even if it were a 100d there’s no way he’s getting 800 miles out of the 2 packs.

This was really just conjecture... I don't know any concrete numbers. Googling this again, the first results I see are quoting more like $16k, but here are some sources more in the $7k range:

Tesla Puts Price on Model 3 Battery Module Replacement Around $5000-$7000 (although Elon says *modules*, not pack... unsure what that means)

And here's a 75kWh for $13,500 right from the Tesla invoice:

Still... if the OP's going to spend $30k modifying the car, my vote (if I had one) would be to double up on the electric range. I think *that* would get you a car with added resale value. I find it hard to believe that anyone interested in purchasing a Tesla would pay *more* for one that someone modified back into a hybrid.

That said, I'm betting the 4680 battery packs are going to really rock the boat (or crossing fingers at least). Probably every Tesla on the market will see larger depreciation once those hit the market, especially a heavily modded one.

This was really just conjecture... I don't know any concrete numbers. Googling this again, the first results I see are quoting more like $16k, but here are some sources more in the $7k range:

Tesla Puts Price on Model 3 Battery Module Replacement Around $5000-$7000 (although Elon says *modules*, not pack... unsure what that means)

Still... if the OP's going to spend $30k modifying the car, my vote (if I had one) would be to double up on the electric range. I think *that* would get you a car with added resale value. I find it hard to believe that anyone interested in purchasing a Tesla would pay *more* for one that someone modified back into a hybrid.

That said, I'm betting the 4680 battery packs are going to really rock the boat (or crossing fingers at least). Probably every Tesla on the market will see larger depreciation once those hit the market, especially a heavily modded one.
Oh no doubt. I would vote for that as well. I’m sure that would be simpler as well.

Keep in mind, I'm with you. But being tethered to a charger sucks when you need to cover 400 miles in a day. If the laws and automakers favored this kind of configuration, electric cars would be adopted much quicker by the general public.
I've traveled 1,000 miles in a day in my Model S 85 several times. 400 miles in a day is easy.

Reactions: Big Earl and gavine
Seems like a pretty bad idea to me. Have the complexities of both the gas and electric system in a chassis not meant for it. What does this give you? If you have the money and time, why not just buy a longer range Tesla (eg. LR 2021 Model S) or perhaps buy/rent another gas car for the times you need to travel long distance without stopping.

I expect my TOTAL cost to be $30k including the cost of the salvage Tesla.

This project will allow me to tune a tesla to my liking. Who knows, maybe I can even make it faster and quicker than a stock Tesla! Again, I'm guessing someone will be willing to pay $40k for that. BTW the guys on the LS forum love the idea. Not one naysayers yet.

Yeah, I just can’t see how this all adds up and makes sense.

It’s taking all the bad parts of each propulsion method and combining them into a single, complicated, 6,000-something pound car.

I understand the “because I can” answer to the “why?” question, but the additional presumption/expectation of creating something valuable and making money off of it just doesn't pass the sniff test for me. You’re looking to create something awesomely complicated to answer a question nobody asked. The only value created will be novelty, and you’ve gotta find that one in a million buyer with more money than sense if that's your main selling point.

I remember hearing what back when of a "Cadillac Eldorado Twin-Star", which was a caddy with their "Northstar" traverse-mounted V8 in the front as well as in the rear. This was sounded easy to pull off, as it was just adding another engine to the trunk, but they ran into difficulties getting the engines to sync up, getting ABS to work correctly, and other little things - and this was with the same single-OEM parts.

Whereas this dual-power Tesla sounds like a fun project to tackle from the outset, you would have to root the car and muck around with so many different settings in order to get it to play nice with an unconnected secondary power source, you'd likely never be able to apply any new software updates down the road. That, as well as being unable to find a shop that would work on it would severely impact any added value the car might have. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I would love to see someone actually pull something like this off and show it at car show or cars & coffee, etc... but make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. It has to be a labor of love, not for money, and will very much likely require continual tuning and tweaking to keep it running, so it can never be far from whoever originally does the work (which I will assume would be the OP).

I expect my TOTAL cost to be $30k including the cost of the salvage Tesla.

This project will allow me to tune a tesla to my liking. Who knows, maybe I can even make it faster and quicker than a stock Tesla! Again, I'm guessing someone will be willing to pay $40k for that. BTW the guys on the LS forum love the idea. Not one naysayers yet.
How do you intend on "tune-ing" a Tesla?

Above and beyond the fact that an LS4, a Trans, and a Diff wont fit, just straight up its not going to fit... if you can get it to fit you'll encounter such issues as:

Weight distribution, an LS4 + transmission weighs more than the front unit that comes in D variants
Say you do get it in, you'll need a way to free hub the front like an AWD truck so your rear motor isnt pushing your v8 around
Cabin noise. You're going to put side pipes and their associated resonance inside a literal tin can. Enjoy that

I don't have enough time to list the ways that trying to get tesla's firm&software to interact with a foreign engine wouldn't work.

All in, I'd bet you 30k you CANT do it for 30k. What do I think its worth? Nothing because it would be incredibly unserviceable, there are maybe a handful of people outside of Tesla who are capable of doing what you're asking to do. I'd be a slave to whoever built or helped build it.

Your post was fun to think about, but you keep coming back to fight the nay-sayers and all I see when you respond to a post is "i dont actually understand teslas inner workings, but thats ok i have 30k and a dream." Good luck I guess.

If you've rebuilt multiple salvaged Teslas and you have the fab skills and equipment required for something of this magnitude then go for it. The only "money" I see you making on it is in marketing for your brand if you have a shop, when you show it off working. If you do it right, there's a handful of rich people that are into this kind of stuff. When I was in Dubai a while back I saw a 2 door Range rover that said Ranger Stormer on it at the mall. I was fairly certain they didn't make a 2 door. Turns out it was a complete custom job by WCC and the Prince there bought it for a friend of his.