Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model LS V8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It can be done, and I will do it. It's just a matter of time.

RWD is on the table, and you might be right. It might be easier to just add FWD structure. But I'm betting this will just be a matter of wiring and changing the cars config. Since they have made both FWD and RWD cars at the same time, my guess is the wiring is very similar, if not the same with a few jumpers to let it know that there isn't a front motor.

$15k for salvage Tesla
$5k for parts to fix salvage Tesla
$3k for salvage donor car with LS4 drivetrain.
-$3k for sale of front motor.
$10k max for fabrication and miscellaneous costs
$30k TOTAL

I guess I should take that bet right?

I'm guessing you have zero chance of making this work (reliably)

It can be done, and I will do it. It's just a matter of time.

RWD is on the table, and you might be right. It might be easier to just add FWD structure. But I'm betting this will just be a matter of wiring and changing the cars config. Since they have made both FWD and RWD cars at the same time, my guess is the wiring is very similar, if not the same with a few jumpers to let it know that there isn't a front motor.

$15k for salvage Tesla
$5k for parts to fix salvage Tesla
$3k for salvage donor car with LS4 drivetrain.
-$3k for sale of front motor.
$10k max for fabrication and miscellaneous costs
$30k TOTAL

I guess I should take that bet right?
$15k for salvage Tesla — HA!
$5k parts to fix salvage Tesla — HAHAHA!

A $15k salvage Tesla already has been stripped of the most valuable parts. There is no way you are going to be able to repair a salvage Tesla with only $5k parts.

Polestar 1 has two electric motors that drive the rear wheels + an ICE motor for the front.

609hp, 1000nm torque. Has true torque vectoring too.

Cramming a motor might not be that bad, but it will drive like sнit since you won't be able to properly control both at the same time from the same pedal.
Yea, polestar is Almost the perfect performance car. I think the Corvette hybrid will get it right.
That being said at the least I will have a range extender and extra power when I want it for straight line acceleration.
Getting it to handle well on hybrid mode will just be a would be nice as most of the driving will be done in EV mode.

$15k for salvage Tesla — HA!
$5k parts to fix salvage Tesla — HAHAHA!

A $15k salvage Tesla already has been stripped of the most valuable parts. There is no way you are going to be able to repair a salvage Tesla with only $5k parts.
You are so wrong. I've done it many times. Though you do have to be careful as you could pay $15k for a stripped car.
My latest is a S60 with a new battery. It's ready for the road. $8k for car, $4k for parts.

I like those guys. Stop talking about it and do it.
1619578344414.png

1619578609825.png

1619579425307.png

Attachments

• 1619578301492.png
    1619578301492.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I hope to start it in the fall. Looking for donor cars now. I'm here to see if anyone sees something I don't.
Why don't you figure out how to tow a model S at 75 mph with an F150 for some meaningful distance and let us know how that goes. If you can pull that off repeatably (10s - 100s of cycles) without it catching on fire, maybe it's worth considering thinking about the various other details that are going to be huge impediments to this being remotely practical or successful

Last edited:
This is just wrong in so many levels. :)

Like, who would like to drive a FWD car with V8? That's the stupidest thing ever invented. For any "sporty" driving you would be using the RWD electric motor.

And if the front engine is only a range extender, why make it a V8? Some 1.3L japanese four cylinder would be much more economical.

And still it's a stupid idea to have it run the front wheels. Just use it as a generator to charge the battery..

Why don't you figure out how to tow a model S at 75 mph with an F150 for some meaningful distance and let us know how that goes. If you can pull that off repeatably (10s - 100s of cycles) without it catching on fire, maybe it's worth considering thinking about the various other details that are going to be huge impediments to this being remotely practical or successful
Ye of little faith or vision. Your just trolling, but interestingly I have literally towed an Tesla with an F150 to charge it. It worked fine. Keep in mind I can always just cruise in neutral if I think it's taking too much of a toll on the system.
I've thought this through pretty well.

This is just wrong in so many levels. :)

Like, who would like to drive a FWD car with V8? That's the stupidest thing ever invented. For any "sporty" driving you would be using the RWD electric motor.

And if the front engine is only a range extender, why make it a V8? Some 1.3L japanese four cylinder would be much more economical.

And still it's a stupid idea to have it run the front wheels. Just use it as a generator to charge the battery..
Agreed on the FWD V8. It's weird. It would be better with electric on front and gas on rear like the hybrid Corvette will be. That's just too big of a project with a Tesla.
Why a V8? Why not? If I'm going to put anything in there, it may as well be fun.
Thought about a generator, but this configuration will provide additional performance and a redundant drive system. Win, win.

• Funny
Reactions: rickyjb
Part of it is eliminating range anxiety. Ultimately it's how I think a performance car, not to mention hybrid, should be configured.
How, exactly, does it "eliminate" range anxiety? I found that any Tesla with over 300 miles range eliminates range anxiety if the driver is knowledgeable and aware. Never had "anxiety" with my Model 3. All you gotta do is stop to supercharge every 200 miles or so (or longer if it's a 400 mile range Model S), about the time you'd be looking for a place to eat and hit the bathroom.

And your idea of a "performance car" is different than mine. I find that my car can leave a "performance car" in the rear view mirror just about every time, but unless I'm a crazy person who has to rev their engine and burn out across the intersection when the light turns green, there's no need. My Model S is a performance car, as is my Model 3. The idea that a powerful car must have a gas engine is ridiculous. My S has roughly 450 ft/lb of torque and a similar amount of horsepower, and it was not sold as a performance car, but a gas car with those numbers would be considered such.

Obviously you have not driven a Tesla very much.