Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model LS V8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How, exactly, does it "eliminate" range anxiety? I found that any Tesla with over 300 miles range eliminates range anxiety if the driver is knowledgeable and aware. Never had "anxiety" with my Model 3. All you gotta do is stop to supercharge every 200 miles or so (or longer if it's a 400 mile range Model S), about the time you'd be looking for a place to eat and hit the bathroom.

And your idea of a "performance car" is different than mine. I find that my car can leave a "performance car" in the rear view mirror just about every time, but unless I'm a crazy person who has to rev their engine and burn out across the intersection when the light turns green, there's no need. My Model S is a performance car, as is my Model 3. The idea that a powerful car must have a gas engine is ridiculous. My S has roughly 450 ft/lb of torque and a similar amount of horsepower, and it was not sold as a performance car, but a gas car with those numbers would be considered such.

Obviously you have not driven a Tesla very much.
Thanx for the laugh. I've owned a 60, 85, P85, P85d, P90DL, 85D. Do I really need to go on?

Bottom line is road trips suck in a Tesla. You can argue it all you want, but getting to a supercharger and charging takes at least 10 times as long as gassing up.

I'm still not sure I completely understand what the OP is looking to do. If the plan is to take a Tesla shell and drop in a V8 powertrain (like what Rich Rebuilds is doing) then why use a Tesla at all? It could be any car and I am sure you'd get better performance out it it.

If the plan is to use a gas engine as a generator to power either the batteries or motors, a smaller/lighter engine would probably make more sense.