Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model number vs Actual consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weekends ago, I attended a party and I was explaining the feature of the car the capacity of the batteries and stuff.

Then two days later, as I was driving in the "spring" like weather and I was enjoying the consumption being around 190-180, it made me wonder about the recent twitter post from Trev, on his X with a warmish day and his consumption? what was his average consumption? how does that relate to my battery capacity. If I am using 190Kwh and my battery is 90, how much range do I have?

So the question of the day is: Model number vs Actual average consumption.

Within the realm of Model X, there are models: 60D, 70D, 75D, 90D, 100D.

Considering that Telsa are identified by the following formula(which I extracted from another post in the TMC forum):
Models + Kilowatt battery rating + Dual motors/AWD + Optional Ludacris.

then.. 90 means KW and my consumption was 190Kwh.. WOO then I would had run out of battery in less than 30 minutes..!! :eek:

That obviously doesn't make sense..:rolleyes:. So help me understand how this works.. (yeah the comptuter on board calculates it but I want to know how it does it. I want to be "SmarterEveryDay".;)

A 90 battery is roughlt referencing 90 kWh. 90,000 watt hrs of capacity. It's actually usable capacity of 81.8 kWh believe...the early 90 was. Thats what I have.

Your consumption is in watt hours or wh per km.

So if you're averaging 190 wh/km and have a full battery you in theory have 430 km of usable range. 81,800 wh of energy and you're using 190 wh every km driven. 81,800 ÷ 190 = 430

After a few years though yourbattery loses capacity. Assume 3 to 5%. At 5% degradation you'd have 409 km of range at 190 whkm consumption rate.

This assumes youre driving straight through and not stopping parking or suffering vampire draw while stationary. There are other factors but that's the gyst of it.

A 90 battery is roughlt referencing 90 kWh. 90,000 watt hrs of capacity. It's actually usable capacity of 81.8 kWh believe...the early 90 was. Thats what I have.

Your consumption is in watt hours or wh per km.

So if you're averaging 190 wh/km and have a full battery you in theory have 430 km of usable range. 81,800 wh of energy and you're using 190 wh every km driven. 81,800 ÷ 190 = 430

After a few years though yourbattery loses capacity. Assume 3 to 5%. At 5% degradation you'd have 409 km of range at 190 whkm consumption rate.

This assumes youre driving straight through and not stopping parking or suffering vampire draw while stationary. There are other factors but that's the gyst of it.

THANK YOU that helps a lot. I missed on the reading of my mini-console saying wh/h.

One thing to be completely accurate missed to say at 'no elevation', or maybe implied when you said straight through.

Just for an experiment, i turned off climate for today’s morning commute, surprisingly, battery usage is at 166wh/km, mixed local and highway, outside temperature is 2C. Cheers!
B608BF12-80AE-447F-B6DB-7A010F0AE4AB.jpeg

On your 90D, in order for you to drive your rated miles you need to do 166Wh/km.

On level ground, with 15-20kph tailwind and driving at 100kph on a warm battery, you will get your rated miles in temperatures as low as 0C.

On your 90D, in order for you to drive your rated miles you need to do 166Wh/km.

On level ground, with 15-20kph tailwind and driving at 100kph on a warm battery, you will get your rated miles in temperatures as low as 0C.
can you clarify what that math comes from? I thought the epa rated ranges were largely based on about 180 wh/km consumption.

also, were all of the 90D battery versions (there were 3 of them) shipped with the same new capacity? There was talk the newer ones were better in some ways.

thanks

I believe I have the 3rd generation 90kWh, one of the very last produced as it has been discontinued last June 8th and mine was built early September, delivered Sept 29th.

I had read (don't remember where) the numbers were a rated consumption of 270Wh/mile so converted to metric that's 166Wh/km.

Last fall when I tested the realism of rated range and what it took to drive the rated range, I drove the car down to 10km rated left in the battery. I had driven 468km. Full charge back then was indeed 478km rated. My avg consumption shown by the trip meter was exactly at 166wh/km. I can't say I remember doing any more math about it, just based on observation.

That being said, I believe the magic number for rated consumption does vary depending on model and battery size.

Last edited: