Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model R (Retro)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to see the Studebaker Starliner running on a Tesla Motors platform:
studebaker-starliner-02.jpg

studebaker-starliner-03.jpg

Now this is a classic...............Imagine it was in the Paris
Car Show in 1948 (about?) as a prototype. Compared to other cars of
the day it must have looked like it came from space.....!

If electrified can you imagine the size of the frunk.

Side view LHS.jpg

Hi all,
And thanks for all the comments.

For clarification purposes, please note that the idea of this thread was not to discuss about electrifying old classics with battery packs in the trunk and / or frunk, what to talk about any merit in Tesla putting out a new model, with all of its current technology, but with a retro-styled skin. Something like what was done with the PT Cruiser... but Tesla nice.

I found this design in Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ConceptCars.info?fref=nf ) to illustrate the idea:
10593133_969514456398883_7817224323742335962_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

To me "retro" just means lack of imagination. I'd rather see a cutting edge modern design. Remember, that's what many of these classics were in their time.

I doesn't need to be because of lack of imagination... I take your point that back then, today's classics were cutting edge, but I offer for consideration that current design could benefit from looking back at those. Just an idea.

Regards,
Javier

- - - Updated - - -

I for one hadn't - but I like the idea, even if this particular design is a bit too retro for me liking...
icon-helios--tesla-powered-streamliner_100475772_l.jpg
icon-helios--tesla-powered-streamliner_100475769_l.jpg
icon-helios--tesla-powered-streamliner_100475770_l.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to see the Studebaker Starliner running on a Tesla Motors platform:
View attachment 56180
View attachment 56181
Hi there,
If you own the car, I'm sure you will find someone to do the conversion - there's threads about that elsewhere in the forum.

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Now this is a classic...............Imagine it was in the Paris
Car Show in 1948 (about?) as a prototype. Compared to other cars of
the day it must have looked like it came from space...

If electrified can you imagine the size of the frunk.

View attachment 56277

I remember seeing a comparison of the beautiful Citröen DS and Model S somewhere... Found it:2013 Tesla Model S vs 1956 Citroën DS-19

- - - Updated - - -

This is my kind of thread! I've always liked the classic car look, but completely upgraded tech inside. I think its all those James Bond films I watched with my father in between working/playing with a an old Aston Martin or Fiat Spyder.

Put me down for a classic Jag body, British racing green exterior, tan leather interior... with new Roadster sport motor and Model X tech!

The Tucker looks awesome as well.

Hi,
Whilst not on Roadster sport motor nor Model X tech, Jag is resurrecting the Type E Lightweight to complete the unfinished 18-car series: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/11030715/Jaguar-shows-off-new-lightweight-E-Type.html
jaguar-e-type-ligh_3004701b.jpg

It ain't really what I mean, but it goes to show that old car design is still very much appreciated - mix it with today's tech and Von Holzhausen's personal touch, and I bet is a winning combo.

Regards.

Last edited:
For clarification purposes, please note that the idea of this thread was not to discuss about electrifying old classics with battery packs in the trunk and / or frunk, what to talk about any merit in Tesla putting out a new model, with all of its current technology, but with a retro-styled skin.
That's pretty much what I thought you meant. I have written on a similar theme at the Tesla Motors forums.

bugatti-type-57-sc-atlantic.jpg

Man, If I Had Billions...

I'd purchase the rights to 'failed' marques such as Tucker, Studebaker, and DeLorean... Then I'd contract with Tesla Motors to provide a drivetrain for them. I'd create a Legends Series of vehicles that hearken back to designs of lore, while updating them fully to the styling themes of today. And I wouldn't care one whit how well they sold, as long as I could bring a quality product to market to showcase how awesome Tesla products can be -- and I got a few examples of them for my own personal use. Yup.

Oh, and just for the heck of it, I'd commission a Tesla Model L hyper luxury vehicle to compete with Rolls-Royce and Bentley, offering 1,000 cars per year in the $200,000 to $300,000 range, complete with all the fat-cat amenities and accoutrement the truly rich have come to expect. Then I'd use the proceeds from those sales to subsidize production of a $15,000 electric vehicle reminiscent of the Honda CR-X with four times the range of a Nissan Leaf.

But then, I have drank a whole bunch of Tesla-Flavored Kool-Aid...

The 80s weren't too bad, the mid-late 90s were horrid, that's when those 80's "aerodynamic" designs were updated to be more truly aerodynamic with no thought given to aesthetics. Look at the 1997 Ford Taurus, it's got that "half used bar of soap" look to it. there were a few really bleak years there of some pretty awful looking designs.

Thing is, aerodynamic doesn't have to look bad, Tesla has shown that (along with many other sports cars) you can still make things aerodynamic and have some sense of style!

I dunno man. Maybe it's different for those who actually lived through the 80's (I was born 1990) but to me I can't see anything resembling style in most 80's cars. They literally just look like three boxes on wheels to me. At least mid to late 90's cars had some curves in the sheet metal that had to be styled. Admitted though I'd consider everything from the late 70's to early 2000's to be part of the dark age of car design. If Tesla ever makes a retro car I hope they don't take inspiration from that era.

I dunno man. Maybe it's different for those who actually lived through the 80's (I was born 1990) but to me I can't see anything resembling style in most 80's cars. They literally just look like three boxes on wheels to me. At least mid to late 90's cars had some curves in the sheet metal that had to be styled. Admitted though I'd consider everything from the late 70's to early 2000's to be part of the dark age of car design. If Tesla ever makes a retro car I hope they don't take inspiration from that era.
The late 90s had curves, but no shape, the vehicles looked like blobs (or as I described earlier, the half-used bar of soap)
The boxy bars of the 80s were a mixed bag, the low end cars really looked low end, but the big luxury cars weren't bad (sure they don't meet today's standards, but they were impressive at the time) The one real exception I found was Mercedes, their S class from the 80s was a really good look, and could hold it's own right up until about 2000 (maybe even later), whereas they went significantly backwards in the 90s with a design that looked straight out of the 80s, and I thought looked dated before they even launched it.

Hey, the original Ford Taurus was awesome. I bought one of the very first cars off the assembly line (which was in Atlanta). For months afterwards, people would stop me at gas stations or stores or wherever I was, and say what IS this thing!? It's a FORD? Wow! and things like that. The car looks awful in that photo but back in 84-85 it was really revolutionary. And it had a *digital* speedometer.

I loved the car, absolutely loved it. Piece of crap in terms of reliability and craftsmanship quality. But I loved it nonetheless and bought a 1987-88 model when I burned out the original one. The later model was even nicer. Put a ton of miles on that one too.

Anyways, the Taurus was a great car for its time. I was a fan. Sue me. :)

Prepare to be served. :tongue:

That's pretty much what I thought you meant. I have written on a similar theme at the Tesla Motors forums.

View attachment 56506

Man, If I Had Billions...

I'd purchase the rights to 'failed' marques such as Tucker, Studebaker, and DeLorean... Then I'd contract with Tesla Motors to provide a drivetrain for them. I'd create a Legends Series of vehicles that hearken back to designs of lore, while updating them fully to the styling themes of today. And I wouldn't care one whit how well they sold, as long as I could bring a quality product to market to showcase how awesome Tesla products can be -- and I got a few examples of them for my own personal use. Yup.

Oh, and just for the heck of it, I'd commission a Tesla Model L hyper luxury vehicle to compete with Rolls-Royce and Bentley, offering 1,000 cars per year in the $200,000 to $300,000 range, complete with all the fat-cat amenities and accoutrement the truly rich have come to expect. Then I'd use the proceeds from those sales to subsidize production of a $15,000 electric vehicle reminiscent of the Honda CR-X with four times the range of a Nissan Leaf.

But then, I have drank a whole bunch of Tesla-Flavored Kool-Aid...

Owesome! Count me in if ever you do have those billions ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

To me this is more futuristic than retro, and I like it!
True ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I would have to go with the Jaguar XJ13, love the design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ13

View attachment 57379

Very nice indeed!

As the MS has hints of Aston Martin in its styling, I think it would look terrific in that AM soft metallic Sage Green like the Zagato - but maybe a little paler. Most pictures I have seen of this green, it looks softer than the above photo.

And fantastic in real life!