Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model R? - Top Gear small article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It stops here...
"Somebody has rendered an all-electric Tesla to battle LaFerrari and co."

I don't think we will ever see a racing class which combines engine+battery and all-battery configurations. Appreciate that Pike's Peak and other "sprint" venues, with multiple classes, are where sport EVs can take off. LaFerrari, and Ferrari in general, is more "GT", road course, or endurance oriented.

Tesla hasn't got the money, or desire, for this chase. My chips are on another OEM at some point making the choice to develop and push a racing series where battery swaps are done in ~20 seconds, rather than Formula E's car swaps, and the road races are shorter than your typical 2 hour Formula 1 race. Maybe something like Apple buying Rimac, or VW going through some total catharsis.

There still has yet to arrive a true 4-wheel torque vectoring, electric drive train. Even if powered in series with an ICE, it could still be the next distinct advantage racing sees (think of the leg up Hans Stuck and the IMSA Audis had when that (now) inferior mechanical AWD system showed up). Tesla show no signs of developing their AWD system for anything but safety. They would have to go multi-mode, to show they care. Sort of like the Acura NSX, whose fronts are electrically torqued. Acura drops the nannies for performance drivers who want to do more than drag race. But then the appeal is somewhat lost, with their engine in back.

Here's the rest of the line as interpreted by Carwow. The designs seem to cling far more to existing auto design language (with a few Tesla notes slapped on) than I would expect from the actual products. Plus they need to fix the front fascia, since I imagine the nose cone has been abandoned moving forward.

Do you see a need for a hypercar in Tesla's catalog?

As a die-hard car enthusiast, I can understand the need for a brand to have an halo car, even if the margins of profit are minimal.
If you think of a Ferrari from the 80/90 I bet one come to mind. Same with Honda (using as an example a more mainstream brand).

As for building a race pedigree for EV, right now I don't see it on the horizon. Formula E is a farce, imo.

As a die-hard car enthusiast, I can understand the need for a brand to have an halo car, even if the margins of profit are minimal.
If you think of a Ferrari from the 80/90 I bet one come to mind. Same with Honda (using as an example a more mainstream brand).

As for building a race pedigree for EV, right now I don't see it on the horizon. Formula E is a farce, imo.
No disrespect, but how can you call yourself a die-hard car enthusiast when I presented a perfectly valid way to allow people to enjoy driving their cars after many have gone autonomous, and you shoot me down?

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140
No disrespect, but how can you call yourself a die-hard car enthusiast when I presented a perfectly valid way to allow people to enjoy driving their cars after many have gone autonomous, and you shoot me down?

Things change. And like it or not, we all be driving AV sooner than we thought possible. As for your idea, I didn't "shoot it down". I only think the insurance companies (and governments) won't allow a liability on the road (a human) when finally is proven that the Autonomous is safer than not. Specially if all AV work on a grid.

As a die-hard car enthusiast and an ex co-pilot for regional rallies, I know first hand that the pursuit for thrills should be away from unaware public. That's why I defend the need to get that "fix" on some sort of track-day or closed road competition.

Things change. And like it or not, we all be driving AV sooner than we thought possible. As for your idea, I didn't "shoot it down". I only think the insurance companies (and governments) won't allow a liability on the road (a human) when finally is proven that the Autonomous is safer than not. Specially if all AV work on a grid.

As a die-hard car enthusiast and an ex co-pilot for regional rallies, I know first hand that the pursuit for thrills should be away from unaware public. That's why I defend the need to get that "fix" on some sort of track-day or closed road competition.
But my idea wont make a human a liability. If done if off peak traffic hours, it would be as safe as an av. Why would it not?

As far as this new tesla sports car you started this thread about, who would want it if you cant drive it? I sure would not.

For "killing it" on the track-day. :) Why would you want an Mclaren F1 (hey Elon!) only for road use?
Um you know that 99% of people that buy sports/super cars don't track them? Why? Because they can enjoy them on the road. For shear speed, the autobahn. But even not speeding you can accelerate fast or take corners at a high speed. Feel the power they payed for whenever they want. On top of that you can take it to the track if you want but it's not required to use it.

Let's look at the sales of the track only versions of cars: they suck. People aren't going to spend that kind of money on something they have to go to a track to use.

If someone went up to Elon and said he can no longer drive his f1 on the road, only at the track, I guarantee he would instantly sell it along with the vast majority of people that own sports/super cars.

You keep denying it but my idea could entirely avoid this. If the computer makes it as safe as an AV, which their is ZERO reason it wouldn't especially if done on off peak traffic time, you could buy these types of cars and FULLY enjoy them on and off the track. It would be a car enthusiasts wet dream.

By the way your talking, it seems to me like your not a car lover, just a go cart at the track lover.

I don't what this thread to became a debate between us. But let me address some of the thing you said.

Um you know that 99% of people that buy sports/super cars don't track them? Why? Because they can enjoy them on the road. For shear speed, the autobahn. But even not speeding you can accelerate fast or take corners at a high speed. Feel the power they payed for whenever they want. On top of that you can take it to the track if you want but it's not required to use it.
You do know that the autobahn are far more scarce than racing circuits, right? And believe me you won't get an half the thrill of driving (unless you consider thrill risking your and other lives) on the road as in a closed circuit. That's my opinion based on my experience. You may disagree but it won't change my mind.

Let's look at the sales of the track only versions of cars: they suck. People aren't going to spend that kind of money on something they have to go to a track to use.

If someone went up to Elon and said he can no longer drive his f1 on the road, only at the track, I guarantee he would instantly sell it along with the vast majority of people that own sports/super cars.
Well... most of the supercars (or hypercars) are hardly used anywhere, but quickly sold out. Same with the more extreme "track super cars" - think Ferrari FXX.

You keep denying it but my idea could entirely avoid this. If the computer makes it as safe as an AV, which their is ZERO reason it wouldn't especially if done on off peak traffic time, you could buy these types of cars and FULLY enjoy them on and off the track. It would be a car enthusiasts wet dream.
Again: I don't deny it as a good idea. I just don't see it happen, since we're getting more and more nannied by governments and authorities. And even if it was permitted, keep in mind that your idea requires more software and hardware development and that adds cost.

By the way your talking, it seems to me like your not a car lover, just a go cart at the track lover.
I'm all of that. And motorbikes and sailboats.

I don't what this thread to became a debate between us. But let me address some of the thing you said.

You do know that the autobahn are far more scarce than racing circuits, right? And believe me you won't get an half the thrill of driving (unless you consider thrill risking your and other lives) on the road as in a closed circuit. That's my opinion based on my experience. You may disagree but it won't change my mind.

Well... most of the supercars (or hypercars) are hardly used anywhere, but quickly sold out. Same with the more extreme "track super cars" - think Ferrari FXX.

Again: I don't deny it as a good idea. I just don't see it happen, since we're getting more and more nannied by governments and authorities. And even if it was permitted, keep in mind that your idea requires more software and hardware development and that adds cost.

I'm all of that. And motorbikes and sailboats.
I don't want this to become a debate between us as well. If we were going to do that, it should be in a thread for that purpose so ill try to make this my last post in this thread about it. If you want to respond you can, but ill leave it at that.

Your point 1:
Yes this is true but my idea could extend the track to the road. Not literally but you get what im saying. I wont argue due to you not willing to change you mind but I can floor my car without putting people in danger but ok

Your point 2:
Well that's because your thinking about the very high profile cars that car collectors look at that will gain value even if they never see a track. Look at more common types of cars you will see different results. Take the new 2016 viper acr and the gen 5 camaro z28. Just them being extremely track focused has made their sales laughable. Imagine if they were track only, both of which have no production limit. On a side note the hyper cars like the holy trinity have comparable capabilities but they are not as track focused, but you can do that when you have million dollar cars. This is not me hating on cars like the acr and the z28. I love them. I prefer them over their normal versions because I like the most extreme you can get but the majority of people don't. This is also not saying that people don't like sports cars. If you add up all the sports car's sales, especially the big ones like the camaro, mustang, challenger/charger,etc, as well as the sporty versions of cars, its a large amount of vehicles being sold. Based on a rough estimate in the past couple years, its close to a million per year. They just don't like extremely track focused cars and they sure don't like track only cars.

Your point 3:
So you like the idea but you don't see it happening. But would you like to see it happen? Because if their is enough people that want it to happen (maybe not with my exact idea but an idea similar that lets them keep driving) then it will happen. Its how democracy works. Im confident that their will be plenty. Secondly, im pretty sure the majority of the the people that want it will be more than willing the pay for it. I sure as hell would, wouldn't you? Have it standard on sports cars like the mustang and corvette(and trucks but lets not get into that) and an option on the sporty version of other cars like the ford focus rs and the ford edge sport(or any car if big enough of a demand). Im telling you man if a big enough amount of people want it, it will happen.

Your point 4:
umm.....ok, different thought process we have