Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 100D - 175 miles at 55 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
After owning my S for 11 months I finally took the time to do a real world maximum efficiency drive. My weekly commute is about 175 miles each way. Normally I stop at least once on the drive for a drink and bio-break, but decided to tough it out for the entire drive at an agonizingly-slow rate of 55 mph. I ran the vent fan at setting 6 with AC off and temp set to LO. I have one 10-mile section of freeway which I did 75 mph on to keep from getting run over, but other than that it is 2-lane rural highways where I drove at 55 mph, 10 mph under the speed limit, and 45 mph through several small "towns."

The battery heater may have run some during the first 45 minutes of the drive as the overnight temperature was 27 F, and I had reduced regen for almost an hour.

Anyway, it was a good experiment, although quite slow and boring, so I'm not likely to repeat it any time soon. :) It's just good to have an idea of what the car is capable of under nearly ideal conditions.

Miles: 175.19
Stop Signs: 7
Stop Lights: 1
Max Speed: 75 mph
Avg Speed: 53 mph
Temp: 68 F
Energy: 34.88 kWh
Wh/mile: 199
Efficiency: 140.1%

55 mph efficiency.png

Last edited:
What service do you use to calculate your efficiency and other data?

Great job!

TeslaFi - I love being able to see all the stats.

TeslaFi seems to use ~280 Wh/mile as the rated efficiency for the Model S, which I believe to be low. Tesla uses a more realistic value of ~294 Wh/mile. This would put my experimental efficiency at ~148%.

For some reason, I read your thread title and thought you had emptied the battery on that drive and came here to complain. Guess I've been here too long. :)

Interesting experiment! From the TeslaFi output, It looks like you had some elevation change as well (net descent 2339 feet). That will improve your Wh/m also (of course that could be the sum of a bunch of ups and downs, which complicates the picture somewhat).

Bruce.

Just to split hairs about ideal, the ideal temp is higher than 68. The higher the temp the better and the difference isn't subtle. Also higher humidity is better for range (not AZ). So cruising along in typical summer weather in the east coast is best for range. Even with the air on, I do quite well when it is 90 degrees out.