Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 100D accelaration time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct....even 3.6/3.7. I’d bet some of the old DU 100D owners can’t wait for a small DU issue and replacement.. lol.

Meh - I love the power of the cars and it was a determining factor in my purchase. Truth be told though - once you've done it and done it and done it I don't see the true advantage to carrying the potential around like I used to. There is a diminishing value to the capability with the length of ownership of the car in my case. I do not find myself jamming it to the floor at every opportunity as I did when I first got the car. The overall performance, comfort, and quiet is much more valuable to me now that I have a year of ownership under my belt. If they are giving away extra performance I certainly won't turn it down, but I'm not dying to shave .4 off the 0-60 times any more. They are all plenty fast.

Reactions: sauce
Meh - I love the power of the cars and it was a determining factor in my purchase. Truth be told though - once you've done it and done it and done it I don't see the true advantage to carrying the potential around like I used to. There is a diminishing value to the capability with the length of ownership of the car in my case. I do not find myself jamming it to the floor at every opportunity as I did when I first got the car. The overall performance, comfort, and quiet is much more valuable to me now that I have a year of ownership under my belt. If they are giving away extra performance I certainly won't turn it down, but I'm not dying to shave .4 off the 0-60 times any more. They are all plenty fast.

Agreed. I said ‘some’ 100D owners lol.
What I wouldn’t give for extra sound insulation.
..sigh...

Totally agree with this.

With that being said, I'll try and get a measurement on my 90D with DU00 from Dashboard, see where it lands. Theoretically should be identical to the new DU 100D but I have my doubts.

Yeah - I wasn't trying to pick on you - just making a personal observation. I was one of the "some" not so long ago - I had a fit for the uncork when it came out 6 months ago or so for a .1 gain... Priorities change I guess...

No worries :)

I remember my 2016 90D at 0-100kmh 4.3 sec and at the time I was in heaven. It seemed to have a more spirited off the line thrust than even the new 100D loaner at 3.8s I tried last month. Almost as if the initial off the line torque of the 90D was faster but drops off quicker than the 100? The 100D seems like it takes a half second to really pull...whereas the 90 didn’t. And the 100 really shines I’d say at 40-100km/h (25-60mph).

But yes over time I agree, mashing the peddle becomes more the exception...not the rule :)

These new drive unit quarter mile times subtract the rollout. Would love some more runs from the S100D crowd...

upload_2018-6-4_12-56-19.png

Here is one of those runs put up against my S75D, although I am on a lower SoC...

upload_2018-6-4_13-15-25.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GaryW
I feel like between the 2.5s claimed P100D acceleration and the 100D acceleration of 4.1s there is quite a gap. Wonder if some people looking to buy a 75 will stretch a bit more for a 100D if the 100D delivered better acceleration.

I also have a feeling that the 75 will be discontinued within months so perhaps the 100D acceleration will remain the same but there could be a newer 130D or whatever new top spec battery capacity that will be faster than the current D. They will likely spruce p the Model S offerings by the time they start P/D Model 3 deliveries.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I feel like between the 2.5s claimed P100D acceleration and the 100D acceleration of 4.1s there is quite a gap. Wonder if some people looking to buy a 75 will stretch a bit more for a 100D if the 100D delivered better acceleration.

I also have a feeling that the 75 will be discontinued within months so perhaps the 100D acceleration will remain the same but there could be a newer 130D or whatever new top spec battery capacity that will be faster than the current D. They will likely spruce p the Model S offerings by the time they start P/D Model 3 deliveries.
I have a S75D (december 2017) and my father a S100D (October 2017).
To be totally frank, I do not feel much difference between both. I may well be that the 100D is 0,2-0,3s quicker on those 0-100 but honestly, that is super hard to say without measuring it.
As others have said, the acceleration is really plenty fast and honestly, I think almost no one really need anything quicker than those crazy sub 4,5s for 0-100.
Where acceleration does make a difference is above 80-100km/h. Because there, the acceleration is much less strong and if the 100D really have a edge at those higher speed, it may make a difference for highway driving, especially in Germany.
But I must admit that, even when my S75D was started to be power limited, I had no problem following a 7 Serie on the highway from 180 to 227km/h (the max speed of my car according to Waze).

What's the "Brake hold" feature? Sorry for this noob question, but my 90D is configured in french and I'm not sure about the translation of this.

While stopped, press the brake pedal firmly to the floor. An H will appear on the dash and you are in "brake hold" mode. The brakes will remain active after removing your foot from the pedal. The brakes will be released when you either press the accelerator pedal or press the brake pedal again.

While stopped, press the brake pedal firmly to the floor. An H will appear on the dash and you are in "brake hold" mode. The brakes will remain active after removing your foot from the pedal. The brakes will be released when you either press the accelerator pedal or press the brake pedal again.

OK that's what I thought but I misunderstood the rest of the message then. I thought it was a feature allowing you to put full throttle then remove the "brake hold".

So basically, you engage the "brake hold", then when you're ready you put your right foot all the way down on the acceleration pedal.

What's weird is I thought holding both pedals was actually working. o_O