Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 100D - Full charge - 300 miles - should be 335?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just received my 2017 100D Model S and loving it so far. I've noticed that when I plug into my home tesla charger (240v) that fully charged only goes to 300 miles. I know the car is advertised to get 335 miles. I've double-checked to make sure it is set to charge to 100% and I can certainly understand a small margin of error, but is this a common issue? I understand the car is a few years old, but only 35K miles on it. More curious than anything.

Thank you!

The range display is the result of a mathematical calculation. There is no known way to measure the energy in a Li-Ion battery. They keep track of what is put in and what is taken out. The calculation is known to drift over time. Do not charge to 100% on a regular basis. A car sitting at 100% is damaging to the battery.

If you need it for a trip, start the trip within an hour or two of reaching 100%. If you don't need the range, charge to 80% or 90%.

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
you can check the actual kwh in your battery using ScanMyTesla or TMSpy.
your battery has normal degradation - it is based on a multitude of factors: stress on the battery (time spent at extreme high/low state of charge, supercharging, as well as a time component.) Being 4 years old, regardless of miles, there will be degradation.
300 miles range is pretty good, all things considered

Reactions: AMPd and aerodyne
I have a 2017 MX and 2018 Model 3. Both cars' batteries went down about 8% to 10% from the original range. So 330 down to 300 in 3 years seem about right to me. My friends who go Model 3 AWD all around 2018 seen the same thing. Full range went down from 310 to about 280.

Hi,

Just received my 2017 100D Model S and loving it so far. I've noticed that when I plug into my home tesla charger (240v) that fully charged only goes to 300 miles. I know the car is advertised to get 335 miles. I've double-checked to make sure it is set to charge to 100% and I can certainly understand a small margin of error, but is this a common issue? I understand the car is a few years old, but only 35K miles on it. More curious than anything.

Thank you!

Welcome to the club!

The number displayed of "100% capacity" when you're not at 100% is an educated guess by the battery management system. If you watch it over the course of charging it may bounce around a range of 2-3% top to bottom; my car (early 2016 90D) will show between 269 and 275 as the guessed 100% capacity as it is charging. As it gets closer to 100% the bouncing the guess gets more stable... I believe my car new had a range of 288 miles; I guess I should consider myself lucky my car has the range it does given the early 90 battery reputation for degrading.

I sometimes will set the car to charge to 100% and actually charge well into the high 90s but I can't remember the last time I actually charged it to 100% -- the last % or two take forever to get to. Basically they don't exist and are only there to game the EPA ratings.

It has been my experience that there are 2 critical metrics to the car's battery capacity -- the first is the furthest supercharger I can get to with a mostly full battery and the other is how long does it take to charge from between 10%ish and 20%ish to 60%ish (Ie how long does it take to get to the next supercharger where the car is "mostly empty with a buffer against unexpected snafus like a detour or traffic jam". In my case, getting 120 miles on a nearly drained battery takes 15-25 minutes.

Neither metric is much affected by that 5-15% loss of range, btw. Tesla did severely reduce supercharging on some batteries, and that is both invisible unless you're supercharging and has a serious impact on your ability to use the car to go long distances.

Others will suggest setting the batter to percent only...

Just purchaded a 2017 S100D myself.
260 estimated miles at 87% charge. Haven’t gone to 100% yet as I have been told that it is not recommended for daily use to be at that level unless you are going on a long trip.
I would guess I will be around 300 miles at 100%.
I have been told the the higher percentage of battery degradation takes place in the first year and then drops off after that.

260 estimated miles at 87% charge. Haven’t gone to 100% yet as I have been told that it is not recommended for daily use to be at that level unless you are going on a long trip.
I have been told the the higher percentage of battery degradation takes place in the first year and then drops off after that.
You can tell what the est. range would be by using the app and slide the slider up to 100%.

That's 298 miles at 100%.

Is more than 10% degradation in this time frame normal for the 100 batteries. My P85DL has had 7% degradation after 6 years and 125K miles.