Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S #166 - on eBay - in Portland, Maine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the problem with this? This persion paid $40,000 to Tesla some time ago and it's a free market. Isn't that how capitalism works?

I must agree that $138,500 is a very high price, but he's free to trade it in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, do we think that double sales taxes will have to be paid? (In some states, the tax is called a "compensating use tax" or simply "use tax" if collected by the state from the buyer rather than the seller.)

If Tesla does not have a location in Maine, it probably will not collect the Maine sales tax on the first sale. If the original buyer transfers the title without first registering it, there does not appear much chance that Maine would collect a tax. (Whether it is legally due is another question.)

New Hampshire might not have a sales tax applicable to the sale, but I do not know if there would be other complications. (Some states will not allow a nonresident to title a car there.)

Texas says that double transfers are illegal and will not be recognized, but I know of at least one instance where Texas recognized a double transfer where it took place out of state.

As to a sales tax on the second buyer, one would apply to residents of most states. There are a few states with no sales tax, such as Oregon.

Laws on collecting tax on car sales vary greatly by state. California always collects tax so if the original buyer was in CA and he sold it to a secondary buyer also in CA, then yes, there would be tax charged for each of the sales. If the CA buyer sold it to someone in AZ, AZ would NOT collect tax on the 2nd sale... Unless it was a car dealer that sold it and then they would. It's a mess but it's the way it is.

Out of curiosity, do we think that double sales taxes will have to be paid? (In some states, the tax is called a "compensating use tax" or simply "use tax" if collected by the state from the buyer rather than the seller.)

In Illinois, sales tax is paid when a vehicle is registered. So a second and third assignment, dealer-to-dealer, without registration, can result in no sales tax paid.

This is the same person who was trying to sell their reservation spot before. C'mon it makes sense. Now they're just trying to sell the physical car - which is much smarter. There might be someone out there that just can't wait and willing to pay a $40K premium to own one right now.

This is the same person who was trying to sell their reservation spot before. C'mon it makes sense. Now they're just trying to sell the physical car - which is much smarter. There might be someone out there that just can't wait and willing to pay a $40K premium to own one right now.

Yeah, but how many of them will be willing to give up "Performance" option? I mean, after all you are paying tons of extra money, but at the end you would not be able to say "This sedan beats Porsche 911 on 0-60"... :cool:

I'm kinda surprised by that. With all the supposed pent up demand and a year long wait (not to mention any premium a Signature might be worth), I'd think there'd be someone out there with more money than patience. Interesting. Even the one at darn near cost isn't getting bids. Hmm...