Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 19" - anyone got Continental or Bridgestone tyres?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is time to replace the tyres on my S70D. Currently I have GoodYear and I know Tesla currently sell Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (quoted me $1587 + $249 for alignment). Been shopping around and reading comparisons and from local places I can get:

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 for $1500
Continental ContiSportContact 5 for $1420
Bridgestone Potenza S001 for $1244 (after $100 cash back for buying 4)

All are 245/45 R19 102Y rating. Prices are fitted but without alignment - quoting about $75 for alignment.

The Continental seems to have good reviews overseas (including some USA Model S owners) and is said to be one of the quietest. Just wondering with any Australian owners have tried either the Continental or Bridgestone tyres and have any feedback? Also is there anything tricky about wheel alignment on an S that justifies Tesla changing $249?

It is time to replace the tyres on my S70D. Currently I have GoodYear and I know Tesla currently sell Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (quoted me $1587 + $249 for alignment). Been shopping around and reading comparisons and from local places I can get:

All are 245/45 R19 102Y rating. Prices are fitted but without alignment - quoting about $75 for alignment.

The Continental seems to have good reviews overseas (including some USA Model S owners) and is said to be one of the quietest. Just wondering with any Australian owners have tried either the Continental or Bridgestone tyres and have any feedback? Also is there anything tricky about wheel alignment on an S that justifies Tesla changing $249?
Other than the factory Goodyears, I've used Michelin 245/45R19 PRIMACY 3 ST - very good and quiet.
Dunno what the price is now but paid $1360 for 4 at JAX Browns Plains a few years ago.
BTW they last a bit over 60,000 km with a heavy foot in a rear wheel drive Tesla.

Jax in Essendon Vic wouldn’t do the alignment on my 2015 model S, they said couldn’t get to the things they needed to without removing some covers they were unsure about how to approach it.
I have the Bridgestone Potenza, they seem fine, only done few hundred kms.

Other than the factory Goodyears, I've used Michelin 245/45R19 PRIMACY 3 ST - very good and quiet.
Dunno what the price is now but paid $1360 for 4 at JAX Browns Plains a few years ago.
BTW they last a bit over 60,000 km with a heavy foot in a rear wheel drive Tesla.

I second Ray on this, the Michelin Primacy 3 has served me well, currently trying out the Primacy 4s, a touch more expensive but in stock when I needed them.

@TezzaB I have the Continental ContiSportContact 5 on my S75D now. I've done almost 30,000kms on them and they're holding up well. Slightly worse energy efficiency at first but stabilised now. No real difference in noise vs Michelin.

Got mine through K-Mart Tyre & Auto/MyCar as they have the "Tyre Care Plan" https://www.ktas.com.au/benefits/tyre-care-plan/ at no additional charge and they price match.
  • 30 day satisfaction guarantee
  • 12 month Road Hazard Warranty
  • Free puncture repair
  • Free rotation and balance every 6 months
For me this was awesome - I've already used it after getting a nail in my front right tyre. In and out no cost.

Shane.

Last edited:

I had the Bridgestones on a set of 21s. They were great, but it's a bit hard to compare any tyres when switching between 19s and 21s. I had both sets, with Primacy 3 ST on the 19s.
The handling was superb with the Bridgestones, and not too noisy. Hard to know what to attribute to the tyres and what is just a result of the larger rims.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
I am not keen on Michelin so will probably go with either the Continental or Bridgestone.
Shane - I will give KTAS a call and see if they will match the price I have for the Conti's as I agree the hazard warranty is worth a bit. Had it on previous car and got a free puncture repair out of it one time and reduced cost on replacement another time as it couldn't be patched.
Brenda - CostCo is a bit too far from where I am but thanks for the suggestion.

Hope you enjoyed the new tyres, whatever you got.

Just to add some info: Bridgestone Select (Donnellans) in Balwyn are excellent with Teslas. They know about jackpoints, jack mode, camber changes with suspension heights, how to remove the rear cover to do alignments...

I recently had them put Bridgestone S007As (the successor to the S001) and they are surprisingly good. Coming from multiple sets of Michelin Primacy 3s since new. Obviously the S007As are more like the Michelin Pilot Sport (more performance oriented) so they handle much better than the Primacy's, but I was expecting maybe a tad more noise or harshness. Nope. Quieter than the Primacy (or at least even if I'm just loving the new rubber). Identical ride quality too but more lively which can be interesting mid-slide.

So glad I switched to Bridgestone because they are always buy 3 get 4, and there was no trade off! Maybe they'll wear faster.

Have you replaced the TYRES? and which tyre? Please update the feedback. Thanks