Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2.0 - Next major update, wants and needs? Design?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Model S needs to keep improving to stay ahead of the crowd. One way is to keep improving Autopilot in significant ways to keep it ahead of the pack.
Add the 2nd or 3rd camera to AP and advance the software to allow AP in more situations. For my driving routes, AP is too erratic for me. Maybe some of my sensors are not working to spec?
Add a little more battery capacity. Extra battery comes with a weight penalty and how often do we actually need more range? At what point do we say "I have enough, no more range for me, please". 350? 400?, 450? miles.
If at all possible, less wind noise when driving at 75-80 mph. Standard audio system becomes a bit unpleasant to listen to at those speeds - true for any car I've owned. Not sure how much money that would cost.
More voice commands or a programmable button or two?

A friend recently asked me what I didn't like about the car. My answer was "nothing". - meaning I didn't have overly unrealistic over expectations of the features.

I'm expecting major upgrades to AP to take 2-3 yrs.

Right now, the only thing I'd ask for would be more superchargers along the major interstates and at major National Parks.

I would agree with the point the OP was making. It wasn't just about CHANGES that need to be made with the S, BUT the fact when the cheap version comes out, there WILL NEED TO BE SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES BETWEEN IT AND THE S.

Elon has already said the "Cheaper" version will be mainly NEW tech.
If the $100,000 S90 goes a little further and faster than the 3, it will be GLARINGLY obvious it doesn't offer enough of a difference compared to a $30,000 model.

My prediction for the model S to SHOW a difference:

A bigger battery will be offered at NO extra charge from what is now.
Maybe even a drop in price because giga factory will allow for cheaper batteries.
Far better interior offerings, lighting, materials, NON plastic stuff, and far better stereo system and ability to use 3rd party apps, etc.
A more elaborate sensor system for better autonomous driving... and MAYBE the model 3 will NOT have autopilot per se as an option.

Model S will come down in price, and up in features (although they will still offer a TOP TOP of the line super ludicrous version)
Even that might not be enough to justify paying $40k to $110k MORE for an S versus 3.

I don't think it NEEDS a drastic redesign like other car companies do, but the nosecone could use.... something. Even the X originally had the same nosecone, but they decided it would be best to get rid of it (though I'm not sure on the direction they took it, I'd have to actually see on in person).

LED headlights should be standard for a car that expensive.

Autopilot 2.0 hardware would also be nice by the time I'm ready to buy :smile:

An updated screen (high DPI) would also be a nice addition. A screen that size should be 2160 X 3840 (4K, or Retina in Apple speak). Again, we're paying $70k+ for this car, while most higher end laptops are being made 2x/Retina now.

I just hate to buy at the end of any cycle. I'd rather buy right after a refresh than right before. Since we never know when updates are coming, I'll probably hold off at least until AP 2.0 hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

I would agree with the point the OP was making. It wasn't just about CHANGES that need to be made with the S, BUT the fact when the cheap version comes out, there WILL NEED TO BE SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES BETWEEN IT AND THE S.

If the $100,000 S90 goes a little further and faster than the 3, it will be GLARINGLY obvious it doesn't offer enough of a difference compared to a $30,000 model.

Maybe even a drop in price because giga factory will allow for cheaper batteries.
Far better interior offerings, lighting, materials, NON plastic stuff, and far better stereo system and ability to use 3rd party apps, etc.
A more elaborate sensor system for better autonomous driving... and MAYBE the model 3 will NOT have autopilot per se as an option.

Model S will come down in price, and up in features (although they will still offer a TOP TOP of the line super ludicrous version)
Even that might not be enough to justify paying $40k to $110k MORE for an S versus 3.

Exactly. Just compare a BMW 320i to a 740i. They're worlds apart. I do love the Model S, but in terms of material quality, it seems more on par with the 3 series. That said, I'd still pay $85k for a Model S as it is right now, but I'd never put that kind of money into a gas guzzler. It's just when the M3 comes out, there will have to be something to make people still want the S vs the 3.

The competition comes online in 2017 and 2018. As a marketer, refresh comes then, not before. They can't refresh every year, and right now, they should focus on X ramp and the III. The S is the only game in town in it's segment for 2016.

My 2 cents.

I don't think it NEEDS a drastic redesign like other car companies do, but the nosecone could use.... something. Even the X originally had the same nosecone, but they decided it would be best to get rid of it (though I'm not sure on the direction they took it, I'd have to actually see on in person).

LED headlights should be standard for a car that expensive.

Autopilot 2.0 hardware would also be nice by the time I'm ready to buy :smile:

An updated screen (high DPI) would also be a nice addition. A screen that size should be 2160 X 3840 (4K, or Retina in Apple speak). Again, we're paying $70k+ for this car, while most higher end laptops are being made 2x/Retina now.

I just hate to buy at the end of any cycle. I'd rather buy right after a refresh than right before. Since we never know when updates are coming, I'll probably hold off at least until AP 2.0 hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. Just compare a BMW 320i to a 740i. They're worlds apart. I do love the Model S, but in terms of material quality, it seems more on par with the 3 series. That said, I'd still pay $85k for a Model S as it is right now, but I'd never put that kind of money into a gas guzzler. It's just when the M3 comes out, there will have to be something to make people still want the S vs the 3.

I'd like a/c in the seats as well, but it's less compelling when the whole car can be pre-conditioned before one gets in. I like the front camera idea and previously suggested it be adjacent to the autopilot camera, and able to be used as a "dash cam" along with the rear camera. It's hard to be unemotional about the nosecone, so I think Tesla should offer design options like they do for wheels. The top, inside corner of the side mirrors should angle toward the car—not away—so one can see further behind the car and to the side simultaneously. Why red turn signal lights in the rear, when they are yellow on the front and side? Make them all yellow like most of the rest of the world. I certainly agree that the options should be much less expensive, considering so many other cars offer many as standard. As for the inside of the car I want more cup holders that hold more than a 12oz, round can. The adjacent ones need to be separated more. More pockets and areas for storage, such as in the doors for umbrellas, in front of the seats like the 1st gen driver's seat, and on the back of the front seats. USB ports for the rear seats. A rear window wiper would be nice too.

I'd like a/c in the seats as well, but it's less compelling when the whole car can be pre-conditioned before one gets in.

I am hopeful a/c seats will show up soon in the Model S because the engineering and design work has already been done, and Model X is shipping with a/c seats. Keeping my fingers crossed that we will at least get these seats in Model S during March at the M3 announcement.

- There is no $30k Model 3, it will be at least $35k. And you are comparing it to a tricked out version of the S at $100,000 instead of the base model which is $70k, so the difference is not so dramatic as you paint it.

- I think they will continue to "luxurify" the Model S and keep the price the same as they go along as things get cheaper for them to manufacture. This will Increase build quality and "fit and finish" which many people have stated is the main area Tesla is lacking compared to other high end vehicles. This will include all of the stuff you mentioned already (stero, plastic, materials, lighting, cup holders ;-)

- I could easily see them including Auto Pilot free on the Model S, and possibly have super charging as an Add-On for the Model 3... Those two features alone will be upwards of $3-5,000 worth of value that the S has that the 3 wont.

- Battery size will also be different on the base models of each car, so it could easily be that for the

Model 3 will be a smaller car than the S. Most likely with $35,000 as a starting point, a fully optioned 3 may even cost more than a base S.

Consumer will decide what model they will wish to purchase.

I believe that it is intended that the 3 will sell 10 times more than the more premium S model.

I for one don't think we need a major update. I like the idea of continually improving the car. Some things I think about are things that other cars I've owned have and the MS doesn't, for example:

1) Better voice control - more commands.
2) Better phone integration (Apple Car Play?)
3) Ventilated seats (soon, I bet!)
4) A Weather App
5) Upgrade existing AP w/ cameras under the mirrors, on the front and a more useful rear camera. 360 degree cameras would be great and we have the screen for it. Also the camera on the rear and side mirrors (future) should be able to see lane lines.
6) Replace rear view mirror w/ rear view camera - the rear seats block so much anyway
7) Front are rear cameras should also be DVR capable (haven't seen this on other cars but it would be cool) DVR could be an app within the car and on your phone
8) redesigned center console / cupholders.

I for one don't think we need a major update. I like the idea of continually improving the car. Some things I think about are things that other cars I've owned have and the MS doesn't, for example:

1) Better voice control - more commands.
2) Better phone integration (Apple Car Play?)
3) Ventilated seats (soon, I bet!)
4) A Weather App
5) Upgrade existing AP w/ cameras under the mirrors, on the front and a more useful rear camera. 360 degree cameras would be great and we have the screen for it. Also the camera on the rear and side mirrors (future) should be able to see lane lines.
6) Replace rear view mirror w/ rear view camera - the rear seats block so much anyway
7) Front are rear cameras should also be DVR capable (haven't seen this on other cars but it would be cool) DVR could be an app within the car and on your phone
8) redesigned center console / cupholders.

All of those things would be great, especially Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. I'm getting ready to install a head unit with both in my wife's car, and I have a feeling after getting used to that full Siri/Apple Music integration it will be missed. I'm sure Tesla would just have to write an app that that would fit right in with the current system. I'd guess they don't want to though since both Apple and Google are heading into the car space.

If the Model III and the Model S had the same feature set (display, nav, autopilot) and same range capabilities through battery choices, then I think I would probably go for the fully loaded Model III if it were cheaper. I love my S but I don't need the size.