Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2012-2016 OEM 19" Rim and Tire. Brand New

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
This is a brand new Tesla Model S 19" rim with Michelin tire. Brand new. Just the one. It was entirely wrapped in plastic until yesterday, when I unwrapped it to take these pictures. I bought this with the intention of using it as a spare.
No TPMS.
I am in West Los Angeles, and not willing to ship. That is too much effort.
$200.00

Attachments

• IMG_8631.pdf
    35.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8630.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8629.pdf
    40.5 KB · Views: 55
Looking at the pictures you posted, looks like your tire was made on the 39th week of 2014. The last 4 numbers of the DOT on the outside of the tire is the datestamp. First 2 digits are the week, and last two digits are the year. So the tire is getting kinda old. From what I've heard, 7 years is about the life span of a typical tire. Good luck with your sale.

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9
It would likely be good for emergency use but the tire should be replaced if it was going to be used for anything other than a short term emergency. Just a point of information even though I see this doesn’t have tire pressure monitoring, older Tesla TPMS sensors don’t work on the current generation Model S because I think they switched frequencies in 2015 or 2016. 7 years is beyond the typical life or a tire when many most manufacturers say to replace tires even with no wear at 6 years. Tires may not have dry rot but tires can fail internally with no outside sign of issues. I have a 2006 Lincoln Mark LT pickup with virtually no miles (only regular exercise miles) that has been stored in a climate controlled garage, I replaced all the original, like new tires because they were unsafe due to age. Tire tread compounds also tend not to be very good in wet traction situations because of age degradation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
The rubber looks 100% pristine, shiny even (without touching it) and I can't imagine that there is any significant degradation given that it was wrapped tightly in plastic and no air exposure this entire time. It certainly can be used as a spare, which was my original intention. If the tire needs to be replaced, so be it.

The rubber looks 100% pristine, shiny even (without touching it) and I can't imagine that there is any significant degradation given that it was wrapped tightly in plastic and no air exposure this entire time. It certainly can be used as a spare, which was my original intention. If the tire needs to be replaced, so be it.

Yes, I concur that your tire is very likely fine, especially since it was stored well. But it should be put in service soon so as to get the life out of it.

My main interest is the rim. The rear tire on my car cracked through the sidewall and the tread while driving on the freeway last week. The crack was completely through. There was no apparent puncture and nothing was struck that I was aware of. The tire was 5 1/2 years old with 28k miles on it. The discussion of the tires aging out before wearing out seems to be valid. My offer is $125 for the tire and rim. I'm in Southern California and would pick it up this weekend if there is interest. Thanks.