Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2013 MCU upgrade pro and cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2013 model S that the chip eMMC and LTE have been upgraded (less than a year). Recently, the screen has bubble. I was quoted $834 (tax included) to replace the screen versus to upgrade the entire infotainment/MCU. I was told I will be losing the premium connectivity and FM. However, after reading many posts I was under the impression that connectivity will remain free but I will no longer have AM/FM/XM radio (not a big deal for me). The upgrade cost $ 1650 (tax included).

Question: Do any members here have upgraded their 2013 ? Any pro and cons will be much appreciated. Most importantly, can you confirm if the free premium connectivity will stay free ? Is it really worth it to upgrade ? I am trying to avoid replacing the infotainment in piecemeal and avoid incompatibility of old car with new software.

Connectivity should remain free. I had free premium connectivity with MCU1 and it remained after upgrading to MCU2.

With as bad as MCU1 has gotten (exclusive of failures) MCU2 is pretty key. Since you have a sunk cost of $834 for just the screen, another $800 seems like a no brainer. It should also make the easier to sell when it's time to move on.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Connectivity should remain free. I had free premium connectivity with MCU1 and it remained after upgrading to MCU2.

With as bad as MCU1 has gotten (exclusive of failures) MCU2 is pretty key. Since you have a sunk cost of $834 for just the screen, another $800 seems like a no brainer. It should also make the easier to sell when it's time to move on.
Thanks. My service center manager stated otherwise. He said that connectivity could remain free but there is no guarantee it will continue once you upgrade the MCU. He pointed to this article

1622725158650.png

Last edited:
Thanks. My service center manager stated otherwise. He said that connectivity could remain free but there is no guarantee it will continue once you upgrade the MCU. He pointed to this article

Interesting - I suspect the clause you’ve underlined relates to the upcoming decommissioning of 3G? Ie if you have a 3G-equipped car and need the LTE retrofit to retain connectivity, that’s on you.

Just another data point but my premium connectivity also remained after the MCU2 upgrade. I don’t think I’ve seen a single report where it didn’t.

Reactions: Russell
Interesting - I suspect the clause you’ve underlined relates to the upcoming decommissioning of 3G? Ie if you have a 3G-equipped car and need the LTE retrofit to retain connectivity, that’s on you.

Just another data point but my premium connectivity also remained after the MCU2 upgrade. I don’t think I’ve seen a single report where it didn’t.
service managers are idiots rude liers,,, they probably don't even own a T

• Disagree
Reactions: HovFTW and JimmyB
Great attitude
yes I have the power of positive thinking. That SC at this point is almost unbelievable to me except its happing to me. The negative disconcern, lies...towards there customers myself inpaticular is the worse attitude imaginable. Like I said never in my life have I come across this shady business. I have owned a company had contracts with USC, been in the auto industry in every level bought sold repaired. never came across a situation where its almost impossible to talk to management. Before you had a Tesla it was a ICE car did that company whichever one it was, Ford, Toyota, VW have phone # to call for whatever division sales, service, parts dept.corporate...of coarse they did with people's names. I know I'm not the only one with this issue or simular issues with TSC's

I have 2013 model S that the chip eMMC and LTE have been upgraded (less than a year). Recently, the screen has bubble. I was quoted $834 (tax included) to replace the screen versus to upgrade the entire infotainment/MCU. I was told I will be losing the premium connectivity and FM. However, after reading many posts I was under the impression that connectivity will remain free but I will no longer have AM/FM/XM radio (not a big deal for me). The upgrade cost $ 1650 (tax included).

Question: Do any members here have upgraded their 2013 ? Any pro and cons will be much appreciated. Most importantly, can you confirm if the free premium connectivity will stay free ? Is it really worth it to upgrade ? I am trying to avoid replacing the infotainment in piecemeal and avoid incompatibility of old car with new software.

I have a 2013 85 P and upgraded to the version 2 screen back in May $2,200. Since then I have doubled by charging time from 40-50 minutes at a subercharger to over 2 hours.
Just tonight the computer said 1 hour to charge. I added 147mi and it took 2 hours and 10 minutes!

I have a 2013 85 P and upgraded to the version 2 screen and radio/CME back in May $2,200.
Yes the free premium connectivity will continue.
But since then, I have doubled by charging time from 40-50 minutes at a subercharger to over 2 hours.
Just tonight the computer said 1 hour to charge. I added 147mi and it took 2 hours and 10 minutes!
It’s not worth it!

Attachments

• 9BE84BC8-003E-4740-B693-608DBC140A9B.jpeg
    9BE84BC8-003E-4740-B693-608DBC140A9B.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 7E0C30BC-E75D-4C80-9408-B38273EC3916.jpeg
    7E0C30BC-E75D-4C80-9408-B38273EC3916.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 01D59249-D96A-439C-A44E-A8BE313D161F.jpeg
    01D59249-D96A-439C-A44E-A8BE313D161F.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 162
I have a 2013 85 P and upgraded to the version 2 screen back in May $2,200. Since then I have doubled by charging time from 40-50 minutes at a subercharger to over 2 hours.

I have a 2013 85 P and upgraded to the version 2 screen and radio/CME back in May $2,200.
Yes the free premium connectivity will continue.
But since then, I have doubled by charging time from 40-50 minutes at a subercharger to over 2 hours.
It’s not worth it!
Has nothing to do with MCU2. Also only noobs charge to 100 % and then complain about how long it took them to do so.

Reactions: Brando and Jaymc5
Hey guys. Please help lol. Got call today from service. I can have chip replaced for free but still mcu1 or can upgrade all new screens new mcu for 1500. Is it worth it tho since I have pre AP 2013 model s. So basically il get netflix an faster screen for 1500. Thats about it thought correct? Has anyone else upgraded with an older model? Do u feel it was worth the $

Hey guys. Please help lol. Got call today from service. I can have chip replaced for free but still mcu1 or can upgrade all new screens new mcu for 1500. Is it worth it tho since I have pre AP 2013 model s. So basically il get netflix an faster screen for 1500. Thats about it thought correct? Has anyone else upgraded with an older model? Do u feel it was worth the $
Totally worth the price. You will feel like you got a new car. Screen will be 60 fps vs 30 right now plus faster navigation route calculations and etc. (games, youtube, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ coming soon, working internet browser and future proofing since you will have modern MCU). If you have money to spend go for it!

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
3G is going to be discontinued in February so its going to cost you $200 to upgrade to LTE, its only a $1300 MCU upgrade, if that helps

Update to 3G Services
I did not know 3g was gonna be out in feb. that does help alot thank you, my biggest hold off was that the heat quit working in april so I know thats gonna cost me prob 3,000 come sept when I need to get it fixed. The AC still works great but. Ok thanks. Im prob gonn do it