Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2013 US -> EU conversion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm converting my 2013 model S from US to EU. Replaced radio, changed following internal.dat parameters from
rearfog 0
euvehicle 0

to
rearfog 1
euvehicle 1

Results:
[+] Radio is working as expected
[+] Rear fog is working as expected, only need to replace LEDs as it uses left reverse lights and it's white.
[+] Spotify is working as expected.
[-] Turn signals is blinking too fast when breaks are not applied. When breaks applied, turn signals blinking as expected. Probably it is expecting more load as on US version break lights blinking together with turn signal. Any ideas of how to solve it?
[-] Navigation still doesn't work. Have a feeling that I should update following parameters:
country us
mapregion us
navtype premiumUS

Anybody with european tesla can share his internal.dat configuration?

Reactions: remyygaa
Are you using Tesla tool PC app for this? I don't have an answer for you but curious how easy it is to use
No, I'm downloading internal.dat from gateway, updating, then uploading back to gateway.
If you can ssh into MCU, there are the steps:

download configuration file
# gwxfer gw:/internal.dat /tmp/internal.dat
edit configuration file
# nano /tmp/internal.dat
upload new configuration file back to gateway
# gwxfer /tmp/internal.dat gw:/internal.dat
restart gateway
# printf "\x00"|socat - udp:gw:3500

I also recommend to create a backup of your initial configuration file.

No tesla owners from Europe?
I see following alerts when signals are on:+BC_w001_leftIndicatorFail, +BC_w002_rightIndicatorFail.
Prefix points to body control unit. Any ideas of how I could tell body control unit not to worry about brake lights when turn signal is on?

No, I'm downloading internal.dat from gateway, updating, then uploading back to gateway.
If you can ssh into MCU, there are the steps:

download configuration file
# gwxfer gw:/internal.dat /tmp/internal.dat
edit configuration file
# nano /tmp/internal.dat
upload new configuration file back to gateway
# gwxfer /tmp/internal.dat gw:/internal.dat
restart gateway
# printf "\x00"|socat - udp:gw:3500

I also recommend to create a backup of your initial configuration file.
how are you downloading this? what tool/ or item are you using to do this?

[-] Turn signals is blinking too fast when breaks are not applied. When breaks applied, turn signals blinking as expected. Probably it is expecting more load as on US version break lights blinking together with turn signal. Any ideas of how to solve it?
The "old school" method is to add a resistive load. I couldn't tell you what additional load you need, but you could figure it out from measuring the load the brake lights add and start with a resistor that matched that.

I would be curious to know if Tesla used a traditional spring steel thermal flasher setup or if it is totally electronically controlled. Based on your issue, I'd say the former.

laurynas, GeorgeCM has successfully done this conversion. If you can't reach him by PM, let me know as I have his email. nemaSoma is another option.
Thank you!

The "old school" method is to add a resistive load. I couldn't tell you what additional load you need, but you could figure it out from measuring the load the brake lights add and start with a resistor that matched that.

I would be curious to know if Tesla used a traditional spring steel thermal flasher setup or if it is totally electronically controlled. Based on your issue, I'd say the former.
I'm afraid that it will not be so simple. There are separate contacts for bakes and turn and I think that the load should be measured separately. Would be good to check differences between US and EU parts.

I'm afraid that it will not be so simple. There are separate contacts for bakes and turn and I think that the load should be measured separately. Would be good to check differences between US and EU parts.
You are correct... typo on my part. You would want to test the load of the TURNING signals, not the BRAKE signals.

I guess it wouldn't make much sense to measure the brake lamp load since it isn't tripping the thermal contact. o_O

You need to change the tail light assembly with a EU version to get the turn signals to work. 3 (or maybe all 4) parts of the tail lights are different on the EU version.
According to the media, most wrecks in Tesla's are autopilot failures that cause the Tesla to plow into things. Finding clean taillights at the Tesla salvage yard should be easy. All you have to do is find a Tesla salvage yard.

Just got my Tesla and I'm an old school programmer so not able to help you right now. Still a lot of catching up to do with Tesla programming. Hope you can help me. Got myself a Model S from the UK (nice brexit deal) and to get it approved in the Netherlands I need to swap the back for light with the fog light. Do you know if these are set by software or do I need to swap wiring and backlights? would changing the country code to NL do the trick?

Just got my Tesla and I'm an old school programmer so not able to help you right now. Still a lot of catching up to do with Tesla programming. Hope you can help me. Got myself a Model S from the UK (nice brexit deal) and to get it approved in the Netherlands I need to swap the back for light with the fog light. Do you know if these are set by software or do I need to swap wiring and backlights? would changing the country code to NL do the trick?

If you have root, just try to change gateway parameters using gwxfer (rearfog from 0 to 1) rear fog button should appear in big screen and it should work. The only issue will probably be that rear fog light will be white as rear fog is in the same place as left reverse light. Not sure how it is with UK cars.

I still have US charger. Have no time for replacement.
Bought eu tail lamps and everything is working as expected.
Summary: should buy eu radio, eu tail lamps, eu modem (only if there is 3G US modem installed).
Replace parts, change the configuration and do factory-redeploy.

Do not remember exactly what I have changed, but probably these attributes should be enough:

eulighting 1
rearfog 1
mapregion eu
euvehicle 1
otherFastChargeAllowed 1

• Informative
Reactions: LaurS and MP3Mike