Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2013 US -> EU conversion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know if the internal.dat is the file that has the TPMS configuration? I changed the hardware from Gen1 Baolong to Gen2 Continental and I am in process of getting required access to the files. If anybody has the file and can give the line for the Gen2 Continental configuration it will be greatly appreciated. Will factory-redeploy be required? Will just changing "tpmstype 1" to "tpmstype 3" work?

Last edited:
Hello @laurynas!
I have bought a 2017 S90D from a guy that brought over the car from the US.
Everything works fine here in Norway except the Navigation.
I use an adapter for Supercharger and did not need to do anything with the lights.
I went to tesla to ask if they can change the Navi to EU map, but they won't.
How did you do this?

P.S Love the car and don't know why anyone says you cant drive a US tesla in EU!

I have a US Spec 2016 Tesla Model S and recently moved to Germany. I was not required to retrofit anything as far as lighting since I work as a civilian for the US military. I can see the maps of Europe but cannot use navigation. I just ordered a European LTE card to get cellular connectivity. Is the only other thing I need to do is update the map region to Europe in order to get cellular service and use navigation?

I have a US Spec 2016 Tesla Model S and recently moved to Germany. I was not required to retrofit anything as far as lighting since I work as a civilian for the US military. I can see the maps of Europe but cannot use navigation. I just ordered a European LTE card to get cellular connectivity. Is the only other thing I need to do is update the map region to Europe in order to get cellular service and use navigation?
You need the European navigation database from Tesla. And they will not give you that or enable it on your car. They will not touch the car as you have breached the conditions in their warranty by bringing it from the US to Europe.
You might be able to find someone that can root/hack your car and get some of the things working.

I can help you with that.

You need the European navigation database from Tesla. And they will not give you that or enable it on your car. They will not touch the car as you have breached the conditions in their warranty by bringing it from the US to Europe.
You might be able to find someone that can root/hack your car and get some of the things working.
I was reading somewhere that since he is in Europe working for the US military, Tesla will service and support the car. I am not sure about updating the maps. Just need to show Tesla the right paper work about work.

I have received service from Tesla here in Europe, but I do have to pay for it.

Were they able to offer you service just because you are working for the US military or do you think they can offer such payed service also to others who bring a US tesla to Europe?
I did not see this question earlier. They did not ask me about being military. I believe they would service any Tesla from the US but may charge you for the work even if it is under warranty. My car is not under warranty due to a previous accident so I do not know if they would charge for work that would normally be covered by the warranty back in the US.

I have a questions regarding this topic:

- Does the US charger support 3-phase charging? My understanding is that it does, but it needs different wiring (change charge port and harness).

- If I set euvehicle to 1 without changing the charging port, will it charge? I've heard reports it won't.

I have a questions regarding this topic:

- Does the US charger support 3-phase charging? My understanding is that it does, but it needs different wiring (change charge port and harness).

- If I set euvehicle to 1 without changing the charging port, will it charge? I've heard reports it won't.

I got this replay from a guy that was trying to do just this: "You have gen1 chargers and it's a big hassle to change them. All this conversion costs over 5000 Euro pieces + many hours of labor. Anyway, it doesn't come out like an EU car. The EU port of loading does not fit, an entire aluminum fender work must be done and the wing repainted. The new regulations understand that they force you to change the lights on the back as well. The map can be made, the 4G EU module can be installed, it costs 200 Euro + installation labor. I would advise you to sell the car there and buy one here."

I got this replay from a guy that was trying to do just this: "You have gen1 chargers and it's a big hassle to change them. All this conversion costs over 5000 Euro pieces + many hours of labor. Anyway, it doesn't come out like an EU car. The EU port of loading does not fit, an entire aluminum fender work must be done and the wing repainted. The new regulations understand that they force you to change the lights on the back as well. The map can be made, the 4G EU module can be installed, it costs 200 Euro + installation labor. I would advise you to sell the car there and buy one here."

Hi LaurS, thank you for the reply. It is my understanding that my car has not Gen1 chargers, and that the charger it has support 3-phase out-of-the-box, but confirmation would be welcome. In the worst case, it shouldn't be a problem to replace the charger. I didn't know about the different body parts, and that might be a blocker. I'll check further with people in the forum that have successfully done the conversion, as there are quite a few. Hopefully I'll just need a few brackets.

.... the charger it has support 3-phase out-of-the-box, ... I'll check further with people in the forum that have successfully done the conversion, as there are quite a few....

MY US 2015 Model S P85 has only to wires from the port to a HV box that only has two high voltage relays. I would need a larger port, add another wire, replace the HV box with 3 relays, replace the charger with a three phase one, hack the system make it accept the new hardware. It is likely cheaper to buy a 20kw Chademo portable charger with 3 phase input and charge with an adaptor.

What car do you have?

MY US 2015 Model S P85 has only to wires from the port to a HV box that only has two high voltage relays. I would need a larger port, add another wire, replace the HV box with 3 relays, replace the charger with a three phase one, hack the system make it accept the new hardware. It is likely cheaper to buy a 20kw Chademo portable charger with 3 phase input and charge with an adaptor.

What car do you have?
I have a US late 2016 Model S with AP2. I've been doing some research.

It seems that I do have to change the charger, my car must have a gen3, but it would be nice to be able to find out without disassembling the car. I guess there will be some indication in the data menu once I put the car in factory mode.

It's funny: the gen2 charger is the same in EU and US (same P/N 1014963-00-L), but the wiring is different. This has been documented by @wk057 as far as I remember: there are three mini-chargers, and depending on how you connect them, you get 1-phase or 3-phase charging. I thought I had a gen2 charger, but I was wrong.

In any case, the gen3 charger is (relatively) easy to replace, as everything is in one piece (no junction box or other funny stuff). There are people that even sell the charger with the wiring harness and the charging port installed, so one just needs to find some brackets and maybe the motorized door to replace the whole thing.

I'm quit surprised to find that your 2015 car has a gen1 charger. For what I've read, the gen2 charger was introduced pretty earlier, because the gen1 was very problematic.

I'm quit surprised to find that your 2015 car has a gen1 charger. For what I've read, the gen2 charger was introduced pretty earlier, because the gen1 was very problematic.

Typo, I have a 2014 just like my signature says. But I have two 10kW chargers, I guess they work better in pairs. I am wondering if they share the load when I charge at 40A.

Do not forget about the HIGH VOLTAGE JUNCTION BOX. HV Junction Box - Cover - 2nd Generation (Remove and Replace)