Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2014 battery cell failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model S that is 8 years and 6 weeks old. It only has 56k miles on it. Two weeks ago I was driving on the freeway and suddenly the car shuts down abruptly and display shows error message and says pull over. I almost got rear ended by two vehicles behind me because the car just lost power. I was scared to death because I had my kid in the car with me and am very fearful of this happening again in another Tesla. I had the car towed and Tesla service said there is a faulty cell and remanufactured battery will be over $14k to replace. I’m just so shocked that my car was only 6 weeks out of warranty and there was no warning at all when car just completely shut down on the freeway. With only so little mileage I am very hesitant in purchasing another Tesla or spending all this money to get this fixed. Plus I’ve taken my car in 10 times in the last 15 months for random services due to countless issues with my Tesla including MCU being replaced and navigation not working amongst many other issues. Any advice if I should spend the $14k which comes with a 4 year warranty or just try to sell it for cheap? I don’t live anywhere close to the companies that can just replace the faulty cell, so that’s not an option.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I have a model S that is 8 years and 6 weeks old. It only has 56k miles on it. Two weeks ago I was driving on the freeway and suddenly the car shuts down abruptly and display shows error message and says pull over. I almost got rear ended by two vehicles behind me because the car just lost power. I was scared to death because I had my kid in the car with me and am very fearful of this happening again in another Tesla. I had the car towed and Tesla service said there is a faulty cell and remanufactured battery will be over $14k to replace. I’m just so shocked that my car was only 6 weeks out of warranty and there was no warning at all when car just completely shut down on the freeway. With only so little mileage I am very hesitant in purchasing another Tesla or spending all this money to get this fixed. Plus I’ve taken my car in 10 times in the last 15 months for random services due to countless issues with my Tesla including MCU being replaced and navigation not working amongst many other issues. Any advice if I should spend the $14k which comes with a 4 year warranty or just try to sell it for cheap? I don’t live anywhere close to the companies that can just replace the faulty cell, so that’s not an option.
This is rare. Replace the battery. They are great cars. After you replace the battery, then decide. You will get a lot more.with it fixed. Personally I would keep it.

It’s actually not that small of an island considering daily commutes and that’s only an average of 7k miles per year.
I appreciate your feedback!
Sorry to hear that, it's very low mileage for such an old car, but warranty says it clearly. If you used ie SMT tool, you might probably find the faulty cell sooner but who knows... Such very little use is not very "healthy" as potential faults will occur with lower probability..

Reactions: aerodyne
The same thing happened to me (2013 S 85) w/ ~86k miles - just got the dreaded "pull over now" warning and just kaput in the middle of the road. I was torn between shipping to NC for 057 Tech's replacement / monitoring service but ultimately decided to go with Tesla putting the reman battery in (since they're giving me a loaner for the ~3-4wks I'll need to wait - saves me costs of shipping my car to / from 057, renting a car, and paying for gas in the meantime).

So maybe they say these battery failures are rare and only happen to a small percentage, but: when it's your car, it's 100%. I'm planning on selling it in 3yrs (before the reman battery warranty ends) because I am NOT interested in taking the chance of a battery crap out again. If I didn't love the driving experience / charger network SO much, I'd probably go with a different manufacturer. I'll still drive an S, but only one with warranty time left. In my book, Teslas are great until ANYthing goes wrong - the cost and process of repair is awful.

But I'd say replace the battery now, and sell that thing in 3yrs!

Reactions: aerodyne
What did you decide to do here. I have a 2012 signature series P85. It has 178,000 miles. I had the first main battery replaced (under warranty) at 100,000 miles and I just had the second one go out at 178,000. They are quoting $21,000 to replace. Any thoughts? Gruber is 4-6 months out. Is it even worth replacing?

The same thing happened to me (2013 S 85) w/ ~86k miles - just got the dreaded "pull over now" warning and just kaput in the middle of the road. I was torn between shipping to NC for 057 Tech's replacement / monitoring service but ultimately decided to go with Tesla putting the reman battery in (since they're giving me a loaner for the ~3-4wks I'll need to wait - saves me costs of shipping my car to / from 057, renting a car, and paying for gas in the meantime).

So maybe they say these battery failures are rare and only happen to a small percentage, but: when it's your car, it's 100%. I'm planning on selling it in 3yrs (before the reman battery warranty ends) because I am NOT interested in taking the chance of a battery crap out again. If I didn't love the driving experience / charger network SO much, I'd probably go with a different manufacturer. I'll still drive an S, but only one with warranty time left. In my book, Teslas are great until ANYthing goes wrong - the cost and process of repair is awful.

But I'd say replace the battery now, and sell that thing in 3yrs!
Thank you for the response to this thread. I’m dealing with the same thing and we feel exactly the same about the brand.

@lunamerin

So what did you end up doing. I’m in the same situation. I’d like to see what others decided.

This is rare. Replace the battery. They are great cars. After you replace the battery, then decide. You will get a lot more.with it fixed. Personally I would keep it.
My 2014 Model S85 needs another battery pack replacement.
1st battery pack lasted 5 years & approx 60K miles.
The refurbished pack Tesla installed lasted another 4 years & 35K miles.

Attachments

• cee9c2adbfa8638d834d5d02e06fc8e8_0.jpeg
    cee9c2adbfa8638d834d5d02e06fc8e8_0.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 37