Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2016 Autopilot Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tkb2

Apr 19, 2017
Germany
Hey everyone,

we just got a 2016 Model S (with Full Self-Driving Capability) for our university and I need to research a bit about the used sensors for the Autopilot.

Unluckily it is very difficult to find any reliable sources.
The owner's Manual shows an old version with only one camera. The Tesla we have has 8 cameras. The Tesla Homepage shows all cameras on a Model X (But I think it is the same for the S). They have labled same Ranges and Field of Views, but not all of them. And there are additional Information missing like resolution and framerate.

I have also found TeslaTap, but there are no information about the cameras. Only the radar transponder is mentioned.

Additionally I need some information about how the sensors are used in the different functions.
The ultrasonic sensores aren't used for the lane detection (obviously), but are the rear or side cameras used?
Are the cars in front mainly detected by the camera and verified by the radar, vise versa or do they work together?

Actually I am looking for any official documentiation (which I haven't found yet). If any of you guys knows more about it please let me know (pm?)

Thank you in advance!
Jack

Jack,

I assume you understand that the car you have has the FSD hardware, the sensor suite and processing that Tesla has determined will support FSD. You also have purchased the right to use the FSD software when it becomes available. No features that are "FSD" specific have been released yet, so a car with FSD has the same capabilities of an Autopilot 2 car (same sensors but no software license for FSD when released).

I don't believe Tesla has published the data you are asking for with specific field of view and other technical details on the sensor's capabilities.

Yeah I know. The feature has been orderd but is not active now. But I am also interested in the techniques of the enhanced Autopilot-

There is essentially no publicly available serious technical information. Experimentation has confirmed that one camera was in use initially, and now two of the front three, by covering them up. Other experiments have verified that most of the sensor information is from radar (by covering up all the cameras and observing that TACC still pretty much works). Otherwise, it is all pure speculation. Either they haven't done much yet or Tesla's secretiveness has been 100% successful (probably a bit of both ;) ).

Nobody knows for sure when or if shadow mode is really gathering training information for FSD, and on what vehicles. In fact (and incredibly!), nobody has even removed the Drive XP2 unit and looked at the circuit board, and thus we don't even know the major component counts. Some people have experienced the fan(s) coming on under the glovebox (I have not), so perhaps it is running, perhaps it is barely jogging, and perhaps it isn't even on yet.

Most engineers agree that the FSD "demo" a few months back was a toy, possibly based on NVIDIA sample code. Most agree that we have never seen a hint of the "real" Tesla Vision in any demo or leak.