TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S - 2016 or 2017?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by STLBrian, Jun 12, 2016.

1. STLBrian

STLBrian Member

Hello everyone,

Trying to lock in my insurance, license plates, etc. on my new Model S order. Silly question ... are the current orders 2016 or 2017? I thought everything was 2016 but two reputable websites: KBB and Car&Driver listed the new front end as a "2017 model". What's the official answer? And is there something on the Tesla website that verifies it?

Here are the two website links I mentioned:
    2017 Tesla Model S Updated with New Face, Increased Range on Some Models
    Tesla launches more-affordable 2017 Model S 60 and 60D variants - Kelley Blue Book

Thanks,

Brian

2. zambono

zambono Member

just type in your VIN and you will get the appropriate quote from insurance carrier, but technically they are all 2016's. Not sure how insurance companies will differentiate between the 2 though.

3. STLBrian

STLBrian Member

Zambono thank you for mentioning the VIN. I used the thread titled "Deciphering the Tesla VIN" to determine my year.

Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

The 10th digit is a 'G' which tells me my car being built in June 2016 is indeed a 2016. Looks like Car&Driver and KBB mistitled their articles. Thanks!

Brian