Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2017/17 new Front Facia Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked if you can have the car delivered without the front plate as I live in a state where it's not required. My Delivery person noted- Telsa is unable to deliver the car without it on as it was tested for safety that way. Like the front plate would make a difference in an accident.

The license plate bracket on all Model S refresh vehicles is a required part in order to meet federal bumper standards and cannot be removed by anyone associated with Tesla. We are also not allowed to advise customers on how to remove them or encourage them to do so. This violates the federal statute stating that manufacturers shall not willingly render a vehicle non-compliant.

You can remove it after delivery- Thanks to these guys for posting this on Youtube-

Reactions: acarlos1000
I checked if you can have the car delivered without the front plate as I live in a state where it's not required. My Delivery person noted- Telsa is unable to deliver the car without it on as it was tested for safety that way. Like the front plate would make a difference in an accident.

The license plate bracket on all Model S refresh vehicles is a required part in order to meet federal bumper standards and cannot be removed by anyone associated with Tesla. We are also not allowed to advise customers on how to remove them or encourage them to do so. This violates the federal statute stating that manufacturers shall not willingly render a vehicle non-compliant.

You can remove it after delivery- Thanks to these guys for posting this on Youtube-

Sorry if this was already posted.

It sounds like there is a benefit to the plate holder. IF you were to nudge up against a wall parking, the plate hits first. Without the plate, the hood hits first.

Yes, there are still many situations where the hood hits first. Like the round dent in my Bmw hood where someone backed into me with a trailer hitch.

• Informative
Reactions: newtman

I'm so glad I got my nosecone and not the refresh . . .

Reactions: JenniferQ
I'm so glad I got my nosecone and not the refresh . . .
Florida doesn't require front plates?

VA requires them, and I already got pulled over for tinting too dark (got off with a warning, I was only 10% under the limit on the front windows), I wouldn't want to risk driving without a front plate too.
With that being said, front plate on old style (what I have) vs. front plate on refresh (what's seen in the video), I'd prefer the latter.

This is nonsense. I've bought my Torx Plus bit and I'm bringing it along with a ratchet wrench. I refuse to have that ugly thing on the front of my car.

There are many states that don't require front plates and the story of crash worthiness seems far fetched at best. Knowing that many states have no front plate requirement it would seem that any testing would be done on the car in it's most vulnerable configuration. And if it were such an important safety element then why make it removable at all?

I'm calling BS.

This is nonsense. I've bought my Torx Plus bit and I'm bringing it along with a ratchet wrench. I refuse to have that ugly thing on the front of my car.

There are many states that don't require front plates and the story of crash worthiness seems far fetched at best. Knowing that many states have no front plate requirement it would seem that any testing would be done on the car in it's most vulnerable configuration. And if it were such an important safety element then why make it removable at all?

I'm calling BS.
Torx plus won't work. It's pentalobe

Torx plus won't work. It's pentalobe

No, I'm pretty sure it's a Torx Plus and not Pentalobe. Pentalobes have 5 circular scallops and look much different.

Attachments

• image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 69
  • J2ZmCuhThPJdtneB.jpg
    J2ZmCuhThPJdtneB.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 52
Don't get too worried about it. Take a look at this:

Lol, after spending way too much internet time trying to figure out what kind of tool was needed, I simply pulled the frame off around the bolts. The plastic is so pliable you don't even have to try hard. The hard part was pulling it off the 3m tape! Which still want very hard, really. I made my bf do it while I averted my eyes

Bittersweet goodbye

I don't really understand the reason for those special bolts. Seems odd they were used here

Exactly. This is pure BS. I've never bought a car where I could not easily remove (or have the dealer remove) the front plate bracket.

In fact many of the cars I bought the bracket was not even installed but was left in the trunk waiting to be installed if needed.

This is so annoying. I'm almost thinking of making this a point of me accepting the vehicle when I pick it up. PA doesn't require the front plate, so remove the bracket or I'm not accepting the vehicle. I don't believe I should be forced to mangle and modify obvious security fasteners on my new car just to remove something that my state says I don't need.

Furthermore if Tesla is saying...

then this means if I remove my front plate/bracket my car is suddenly in violation of Federal statute and is non-compliant?

Why does Tesla have cars with the bracket/plate removed in their showrooms and website then? Hmm?

This really sucks.

Last edited:
Hah! The only problem is for those of us in states that require it is we need to take it off cleanly, so we can replace it if we get a fix-it ticket.

The other problem is for someone being able to sell the car to someone who lives in another state that uses front plates.

So if I mangle my front plate bracket (color coded specific) and I try to sell my car to someone in NJ then they're going to be stuck?