Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S(2017)75D Air conditioning not working cause battery temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Air-condition not working with 5 hours driving

*Driving 5 hours from Las Vegas to Los Angeles.(Battery charged 90% when departed Las Vegas)
*Air-conditioning not working while driving.(outside temp 110F)

Service center said it is normal, air-condition will stop when battery level too low or battery temperature too high.
Anybody understand air-condition not working during 5hours driving cause battery temperature too high?

[More detail problem description]
- Air-condition strength couldn't an adjustment in custom mode
: Air strength levels are same of between level 1 and 11 (only level 1 work)
: My S level 11 is too weak and the air is warm (Before happening to above issue I was compared with another S)
* Absolutely air-condition turn on*

- Inside temperature too hot(really hot!!!) : Always!!!!
*My wife and kids complaint that too hot inside the car.
: Dashboard
: Monitor screen surface
: Steering wheel
: Driver and passenger seat (it feels like turn on the seat heater with maximum strength)

- Battery cooling fan keeps running after supercharging
: It keeps running 40 to 50 min (it is exactly battery cooling fan sound cause it can be hearing while highway driving)

- While air-conditioning does not work my iPhone TESLA App showing inside temperature 73 degrees.
: I've got all sweaty whole my body. It seems like inside temperature sensor has a problem.

[Service center problem]
1. Their answer
- It is normal for working. Air-condition will stop cause battery temperature too high
(Q, with 5 hours? what is work for battery cooling fan while 5 hours driving?)
- Service center doesn't know why inside temperature display 73F in Tesla App.
(At the service center when turned off the car, the app display 90F within 2min from 73F)

This model S battery and air conditioning are normal?

Something seems wrong, the inside temp sensor is showing 73F? That isn’t hot at all. Was that up to date or was it from a while ago and you didn’t have good internet connection to the car. Do you have a login service like Teslafi to look at the history yourself?

I have heard of the Tesla AC redirected to battery, but that will cause a message on the dash.

I think Tesla has prioritized that main battery can cool itself down first even before human can get some
I think Tesla has prioritized that main battery can cool itself down first even before human can get some kind of air conditioning.
Yes, service center explained it. but my question is ' it happened 5 hours during driving from LV to LA', I was driving 5 hours with $100k model S which was not working air-conditioning.

Something seems wrong, the inside temp sensor is showing 73F? That isn’t hot at all. Was that up to date or was it from a while ago and you didn’t have good internet connection to the car. Do you have a login service like Teslafi to look at the history yourself?

I have heard of the Tesla AC redirected to battery, but that will cause a message on the dash.
Thank you to info TESLAFI.
Unfortunately, I just signed up now and it couldn't find the previous history.
I was arguing with the service center if these all my issues are normal it could happen again anytime when I drive to LV. Can you understand this? 5 hours no AC driving with outside temp 110F !!! $100K price car not working AC 5 hours are normal? anybody happened this issue?

Nope, it doesn't sound right. It was about 117 degrees in Yermo last month when I drove out to Vegas from Southern California, and the car did say reduced cooling when I left the supercharger, but the AC still blew cool air.
Yes, that is my point. I saw a lot of Tesla on the highway the same day. If my AC issue is common happening they were all sweaty. This is service center can't explain also.

Just keep complaining to the service center and they’ll eventually give it a better look see

Also your username is interesting ;)

Edit: Actually I’ve experienced something similar with my 2015, it blows warm-ish air when supercharging after a long drive in hot weather. So much so that we actually couldn’t sit in the car without sweating, it was getting hot!
Called tesla and they said to bring the car, I never did

I had this happen to me on one leg of my 3600 mile road trip a couple of months ago. I thought my AC went out, but my wife started Googling while we were driving and said that the battery can steal cooling from the cabin. We stopped for lunch, threw the car on a L2 charger, and literally as soon as I plugged the car in, the air conditioner kicked on and cooled the car within 2 minutes. We ate lunch, and by the time we were finished and pulled away, everything was back to normal. The following legs had no issues.

There were zero indications on the car that it was doing it... I think it can just happen.

I did have the service center check it out, but nothing came up.

Operating as designed, and hasn't happened since.

2017 S75D AC issues here too.

Symptom: HVAC struggled to cool cabin air. No issues with fan control.

Frequency: Twice, ~6 months apart. Oddly enough, both after the car was parked & plugged in for a few days (airport).

Diagnostic Problem: Each time it happened I called into Tesla so they could pull logs. The first time the situation resolved itself the next day and the SC reported upon followup this was a known issue and they were working on a firmware patch. The second time the same thing happened (issue resolved itself after ~24hrs) but I noted the AC seemed to struggle to keep up with Houston's heat. Made an appointment with SC for manual inspection.

Further observation of the car prior to the SC appointment revealed if the AC was switched on via the app to pre-cool the car, the cooling fans would be on FULL blast (think Supercharger level!) just to cool from ~100 to ~77. Certainly not normal and did not match up to my experience the prior summer where you would hear the fans operating, but not at that level.

SC Diagnostic: the valve (or whatever the thing is called) regulating outside air (HOT) vs using inside cabin air (COOL) was partially faulty. Faulty component was replaced. Specifically asked if the logs showed any issues with battery temperature, SC reported they did not. The system appears to be working normally now.

Further comments: I've noted when I pre-cool and start driving, the outside temperature gauge will shoot up by ~10 degrees and then slowly start to come back down. This only seems to happen when I do pre-cooling. Unsure if this is normal or not.

Did th SC check your car or just said it is normal? Ask them to do a thermal test if it happens again.

You should check yours of if the vents on the front of the car is opening normally. They should open in hot weather when the AC is on.
I asked center why inside temperature display 73 F when AC not working. They said ' Service center not using Tesla app, so they don't know why'. However, the center didn't check up the thermal test cause their diagnosis statement only described my AC issued problem is normal happening. I complain about what center did it, the center just connect the computer and nothing found that is all. I am so mad at now to center.

2017 S75D AC issues here too.

Symptom: HVAC struggled to cool cabin air. No issues with fan control.

Frequency: Twice, ~6 months apart. Oddly enough, both after the car was parked & plugged in for a few days (airport).

Diagnostic Problem: Each time it happened I called into Tesla so they could pull logs. The first time the situation resolved itself the next day and the SC reported upon followup this was a known issue and they were working on a firmware patch. The second time the same thing happened (issue resolved itself after ~24hrs) but I noted the AC seemed to struggle to keep up with Houston's heat. Made an appointment with SC for manual inspection.

Further observation of the car prior to the SC appointment revealed if the AC was switched on via the app to pre-cool the car, the cooling fans would be on FULL blast (think Supercharger level!) just to cool from ~100 to ~77. Certainly not normal and did not match up to my experience the prior summer where you would hear the fans operating, but not at that level.

SC Diagnostic: the valve (or whatever the thing is called) regulating outside air (HOT) vs using inside cabin air (COOL) was partially faulty. Faulty component was replaced. Specifically asked if the logs showed any issues with battery temperature, SC reported they did not. The system appears to be working normally now.

Further comments: I've noted when I pre-cool and start driving, the outside temperature gauge will shoot up by ~10 degrees and then slowly start to come back down. This only seems to happen when I do pre-cooling. Unsure if this is normal or not.
YES!!! It is an exact same issue.
I will let this note to SC.
Thank you.

Just keep complaining to the service center and they’ll eventually give it a better look see

Also your username is interesting ;)

Edit: Actually I’ve experienced something similar with my 2015, it blows warm-ish air when supercharging after a long drive in hot weather. So much so that we actually couldn’t sit in the car without sweating, it was getting hot!
Called tesla and they said to bring the car, I never did
You have a good SC.
This locates SC, not recommend.
PS: the name is my company name. JML Trading.
Thanks.