Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S(2017)75D Air conditioning not working cause battery temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this happen to me on one leg of my 3600 mile road trip a couple of months ago. I thought my AC went out, but my wife started Googling while we were driving and said that the battery can steal cooling from the cabin. We stopped for lunch, threw the car on a L2 charger, and literally as soon as I plugged the car in, the air conditioner kicked on and cooled the car within 2 minutes. We ate lunch, and by the time we were finished and pulled away, everything was back to normal. The following legs had no issues.

There were zero indications on the car that it was doing it... I think it can just happen.

I did have the service center check it out, but nothing came up.

Operating as designed, and hasn't happened since.
When my AC issue happened I was recharged once at supercharging station. AC working back on normally while charging. But leaving the station, driving 15 mins later AC issue happen again. SC don't know why.

• Informative
Reactions: ahkahn
I had something like the OP described about two months ago in the UK (temperatures were high for the UK but not when compared with California or Nevada). During one afternoon, the car seemed to be blowing air that was hotter than outside. We had not been to a supercharger and I don't recall seeing any message about battery cooling priority. With the A/C on max, recirculate and the lowest fan setting, we were able to get some cooling but the car was not normal the entire day. The SC said they didn't see anything abnormal on the day concerned. I have since replaced the cabin air filter (it was very dirty) and used A/C foam cleaner to clean the A/C system. The problem has not returned, even in weather hotter than the day the problem occurred.

YES!!! It is an exact same issue.
I will let this note to SC.
Thank you.
Hope it helps - here's exactly what they did:

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 2.33.26 PM.png

Here are 2 different repairs on my 14 month old MS. Hope this helps. Resolved the issue in both occasions.
First was warm air blowing and the second was volume of cool air was low, can't lower the temp below 71 degrees.

Attachments

• D37AB973-5CD3-424D-BB44-76314F636D32.jpeg
    D37AB973-5CD3-424D-BB44-76314F636D32.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 5B24EA3F-CA5B-45DC-BD87-A84417012C62.jpeg
    5B24EA3F-CA5B-45DC-BD87-A84417012C62.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 80
Hey everyone... I have a Nov. 2017 Model S 75D and I’m in the middle of a boiling hot early Florida summer. On a day like today I’ve got the A/C cranking... it’s 90+ degrees outside and I’ve got my A/C set to LO and it’s on auto. No matter how long I wait while my car is pre-cooling parked outside or even while I’m driving, the cabin temp won’t drop below 72. I also feel like my fan speed at 11 is nothing compared to say my wife’s Ford Escape that will literally blow your eyes dry in minutes. I feel like last summer I didn’t really notice an issue, but maybe it wasn’t as hot. Does anyone else feel like their A/C is a little weak and the fan not necessarily as strong as other cars or do I maybe have an issue? Can anyone tell me what temp their air shoots out from the vents? I’m going to measure it when I get home to see what I’m getting.

Side note I just recently had the bio weapon/HEPA install done by service and I feel like it’s not making much of a difference. When I hit the button I know it cranks the fan to 11, but I don’t feel a blast... it’s just the same weak flow I’m feeling now with the A/C on LO and the fan all the way up. I know it’s basically a shortcut to outside air and fan to 11, but I guess I feel like my fan at 11 isn’t all that strong as I said above. Also... when I had the car in for this upgrade I had a newer 75D as a loaner and I felt as though I couldn’t smell any exhaust or cigarette smoke or anything from the outside, but now with my car having the HEPA filter I don’t seem to notice much of a difference in the filtering of bad smells.

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• D09C57C2-74A8-46EB-8659-C1DEBB641D15.jpeg
    D09C57C2-74A8-46EB-8659-C1DEBB641D15.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 87
I am in South Florida and my AC cranks! I have a 2015 S 85D. When I am walking out of my office, I will commonly see cabin temps in the 100-105 degree range and it is down at 73 before I get in the car (less than 3-5 mins). That being said, once it is at temp, I think that the humidity comes up and it makes it feel 'sitcky'. I have been taking it off of auto once it gets to temp and let it blow at a medium fan speed with a constant AC. I think that once at temp, the AC cycles off thus causing it to get humid in the car so it feels hotter than it is.

I have a Dec 2017 Model S. I experienced this same issue, albeit I first noticed it in the first summer of ownership last year. When I first brought it into Tesla service to investigate, they identified low coolant and that seemed to fix the problem for a couple weeks. Then the issue returned. Brought it back in and the coolant was low again (sounds like a leak, right?). But they couldn't find the leak. Leveraging some UV dye and some time, they finally found a faulty evaporator. Had to replace the HVAC box.

I bring this up only because of the similarity in issue and build date and wonder if you aren't experiencing the same thing.

I have a Dec 2017 Model S. I experienced this same issue, albeit I first noticed it in the first summer of ownership last year. When I first brought it into Tesla service to investigate, they identified low coolant and that seemed to fix the problem for a couple weeks. Then the issue returned. Brought it back in and the coolant was low again (sounds like a leak, right?). But they couldn't find the leak. Leveraging some UV dye and some time, they finally found a faulty evaporator. Had to replace the HVAC box.

I bring this up only because of the similarity in issue and build date and wonder if you aren't experiencing the same thing.
Good to know... I guess I’ll just have to have them take a look and see if the coolant/refrigerant is low. I still have to say that I feel like my fan on high is pretty weak compared to other cars.

HEPA filter work done before the issue or after? If before assume they did something like leaving a rag in a vent somewhere. :(

Tesla does have a thermal test they can run with a laptop connected to the car's network. It will show temps throughout the system. Other than the (potential) poor work done on your car with the HEPA filter the most likely issue is refrigerant loss. The thermal mgmt system is robust enough to take a lot of heat out of the battery when supercharging so it should have no problem dealing with the cabin in your temps.

Still under warranty so Tesla should make it good.

HEPA filter work done before the issue or after? If before assume they did something like leaving a rag in a vent somewhere. :(

Tesla does have a thermal test they can run with a laptop connected to the car's network. It will show temps throughout the system. Other than the (potential) poor work done on your car with the HEPA filter the most likely issue is refrigerant loss. The thermal mgmt system is robust enough to take a lot of heat out of the battery when supercharging so it should have no problem dealing with the cabin in your temps.

Still under warranty so Tesla should make it good.
HEPA was done about 2 months ago when it wasn’t so damn hot. Would be messed up if they left a rag in there. I’ll just have to bring it in and have them check it out.

It’s never been changed, but in a year and a half of ownership I’m only at 14,793 miles... I doubt it’s that clogged up to cause this type of issue.
I just changed the cabin air filter in my S last weekend. It had been in the car for a year. I was amazed at the amount of debris stuck in the filter. FWIW, I do not have the HEPA/bioweapon filter.
20190525_143839.jpg

I just changed the cabin air filter in my S last weekend. It had been in the car for a year. I was amazed at the amount of debris stuck in the filter. FWIW, I do not have the HEPA/bioweapon filter.
View attachment 415556
Dang... that’s crazy. Maybe I should get it changed. I saw a YouTube video on how to change it and even though I’m super handy and have done a bunch of significant car repairs / maintenance in my life popping those trim pieces off looks like a pain in the ass. It would really suck if those clips broke or if I somehow damaged the trim piece. Thinking I’ll have service check the A/C system and replace the cabin filter while they’re at it.

Did popping off the trim cause you any headaches, or was it pretty simple? Like I said the video I watched of the dude doing it made it seem as though it was a stressful process.

Bioweapon switches to all outside air, which means the A/C has to work harder. You want to recirculate as much air as possible for maximum A/C performance.
Oh I get it... the bioweapon button cranks the fan to 11 and puts on outside air. I have my air on LO and auto which cranks the fan to 11 and puts on recirculating air... however it feels really weak. My wife’s Ford Escape will blow like a hurricane and be ice cold... my fan on 11 feels mildly breezy at best.