Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2017 75D wont sleep properly 1hr sleep, 15min awake repeat...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I would be very interested if anyone has any suggestions as to what is going on with my vehicle.

My Model S 2017 75D is stuck in an endless cycle of sleeping for 1 hr then waking for 15mins causing unnecessary drain of the batteries.

Maybe relevant info:
- Car is out of warranty
- Issue started ~ 4 weeks ago.
- Started about 2 weeks after MCU2 and FSD computer upgrade (related?)
- Don't have a 12V batt warning, but after speaking to Customer Service they said the 12V was waking the car. They suggested a swap for a new 12V given the age of the batt (4.5 years) which i did for £180, problem persists.
- Disabled dashcam, sentry
- Key fobs stored very far away from the car
- Tried changing password on Tesla account
- Turning off Teslamate

Thank you!

Charging the 12V battery is one of the reasons for a vehicle to wake up. Especially since Tesla are telling you this is the culprit, I would say that's the problem.
But that duty cycle seems abnormal. I've had the car for a few years and it has always slept reliably. Why would the 12v need topping up so frequently, doesn't make sense to me...

It would need frequent top-ups if it's gotten bad and loses voltage without drawing any current. I've seen it on a bad disconnected battery (son's car). I would charge it full, unplug it and monitor voltage over a few minutes. It would drop continuously.

Edit: oh, and that was a new battery that was good until it got totally discharged a few times (power leak in son's car). That was enough to kill it in a couple of months.
Your battery is almost 5 years old. It's past due in a Tesla

It would need frequent top-ups if it's gotten bad and loses voltage without drawing any current. I've seen it on a bad disconnected battery (son's car). I would charge it full, unplug it and monitor voltage over a few minutes. It would drop continuously.

Edit: oh, and that was a new battery that was good until it got totally discharged a few times (power leak in son's car). That was enough to kill it in a couple of months.
Your battery is almost 5 years old. It's past due in a Tesla
You may have misread my original text. I did get Tesla to replace the 12V only yesterday, problem still persists.

Oh! Sorry. You could have a bad new battery but that chance is slimmer.
Are you using any third party application that could be polling the car once every hour?
No worries, appreciate the suggestions. I use teslamate but tried turning it off for a few days but it is still the same I can tell based on hearing the relay clicking on and the percentage loss on the battery per day.

@Chaichai : Did you find a solution to the problem?

I have a similar issue but directly after changing from MCU1 to MCU2. The car is awake a hour and then asleep for a hour, and so on.
Tesla thinks it's my 12V but:
- changed less then 2 years ago
- Before the MCU2 upgrade the 12V worked fine ( 6 hours asleep and 2 hours awake cycle).

TeslaMate monitors the car without keeping it awake.

Had the similar issue and noticed the 15 min awake cycle on my Model S. Also monitored via Teslamate. The issue was resolved once I removed the charging cable.

If the car is fully charged yet still plugged in, I think the car still checks for a charge every few mins... just my thought.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I had a similar issue with my car and it ended up being a glitch with the Tesla Tokens and how they were stored against my Vehicle and TeslaFi accessing them.
I would do the following
1) Change Password on Tesla Account
2) Contact Service and request they remove any active tokens etc against your vehicle
3) Wait until they have advised this is completed and see if your issues are resolved.

Took around 2 hours and my "No Sleep" always on issues went away.

Somebody shared this topic with me since I have been experiencing somewhat similar issues (
Post in thread 'Battery Drain Overnight.'
Battery Drain Overnight.).In my case, the cas (2017 S75D) has never slept since the MCU2/AP3 upgrade.

I have done the “reset the password to invalidate API tokens a few times” thing a few times, but never went as far as to contact support to remove all active tokens (I thought that’s what resetting the password did). I’ll try this and report back if it worked (but at this point I am not holding my breath anymore).

xxSomebody shared this topic with me since I have been experiencing somewhat similar issues (
Post in thread 'Battery Drain Overnight.'
Battery Drain Overnight.).In my case, the cas (2017 S75D) has never slept since the MCU2/AP3 upgrade.

I have done the “reset the password to invalidate API tokens a few times” thing a few times, but never went as far as to contact support to remove all active tokens (I thought that’s what resetting the password did). I’ll try this and report back if it worked (but at this point I am not holding my breath anymore).
@fetzu what was the end result of your situation?

I just discovered this problem myself, my car sleeps for 54 minutes, then wakes for 19, rinse & repeat. My car is in for other service items and am trying to decide if i should have tesla replace my 12v. Would hate to do that and see the issue not resolved.

@fetzu what was the end result of your situation?

I just discovered this problem myself, my car sleeps for 54 minutes, then wakes for 19, rinse & repeat. My car is in for other service items and am trying to decide if i should have tesla replace my 12v. Would hate to do that and see the issue not resolved.
My car has a similar sleep pattern (58 mins asleep, 14 mins awake then rinse and repeat).

My 2017 S 75D has had its 12V battery replaced a few months ago. I've only been monitoring with TeslaMate recently so am not sure if this is a new behaviour. It has a MCU2 upgrade a few months ago before TeslaMate was installed.

With this sleep pattern, the car drains 30W/h on average so it'd last about 100 days. Annually it would consume 263kWh, at 5p/kWh it equates to ~13 quid/year so I'm not too worried.

No one has mentioned if their car has any accessories attached, but mine has 2 dash cams recording 24/7. I have tried briefly disconnecting them to see if the sleep pattern changes but if the car takes a long time to detect a change in the vampire drain then it wouldn't have been visible.

The average dash cam consumes 0.5A @ 5V so 2 of them running at the same time would consume 5W already so I'd assume that the car has a base consumption of about 25W.

My car has a similar sleep pattern (58 mins asleep, 14 mins awake then rinse and repeat).

My 2017 S 75D has had its 12V battery replaced a few months ago. I've only been monitoring with TeslaMate recently so am not sure if this is a new behaviour. It has a MCU2 upgrade a few months ago before TeslaMate was installed.

With this sleep pattern, the car drains 30W/h on average so it'd last about 100 days. Annually it would consume 263kWh, at 5p/kWh it equates to ~13 quid/year so I'm not too worried.

No one has mentioned if their car has any accessories attached, but mine has 2 dash cams recording 24/7. I have tried briefly disconnecting them to see if the sleep pattern changes but if the car takes a long time to detect a change in the vampire drain then it wouldn't have been visible.

The average dash cam consumes 0.5A @ 5V so 2 of them running at the same time would consume 5W already so I'd assume that the car has a base consumption of about 25W.
I had the same problem after installation of the MCU2.
With MCU 1: The car sleeps about 6 to 8 hours and then wakes up to charge the 12V battery. usage 1% a day in sleep
With MCU 2: The car wakes up nearly every our. Usage 3% or more in a day sleep

Tesla did research the problem after sending Teslamate screenshots. The software update recently improved the usage of the car. The car uses now about 1 to 2% a day. At first they thought it was a 12V accu problem. After installing a new one, it was clear that it was not the issue.

Good sleep patron:
1647692721214.png

Bad sleep patron:
1647692795318.png

Reactions: Droschke
Awake for how long? The diagram is so blurry. My car is asleep around 14 hours and awake 8-9 hours continuously. My 12V battery is new and 9 hours awake just for charging seems awfully long.
With MCU1 the cycle was: 6 to 8 hours sleep and 1 to 2 awake
With MCU2 the cycle was: 1 hour sleep and 15 minutes to 2 hour awake.

Do other's (applications) have access to your Tesla?
Activate two-factor- authentication and reset your password. Try again what your car does.

With MCU1 the cycle was: 6 to 8 hours sleep and 1 to 2 awake
With MCU2 the cycle was: 1 hour sleep and 15 minutes to 2 hour awake.

Do other's (applications) have access to your Tesla?
Activate two-factor- authentication and reset your password. Try again what your car does.
If you meant 1 to 2 hours awake then it's almost exactly the same ratio of asleep/awake in the MCU2, and the 2nd pattern is preferable to allow the car to handle abrupt weathers/draining of the 12V battery.

My car tends to sleep for exactly 58 minutes before becoming awake for 14 minutes. It would be interesting to gather more information about the sleep pattern in MCU1 cars or Model 3/Y, since people have said that their cars could sleep for hours/days but neglected to mention the awake periods.

With this sleep pattern, it's supposed to last 100 days from 100% (in reality it should be more since I'd expect at lower state of charge the car would sleep for longer). Based on what you said about the car losing 1% a day with the MCU1, and the ratio of sleep/awake cycles that would seem quite normal.