Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2017 75D wont sleep properly 1hr sleep, 15min awake repeat...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you meant 1 to 2 hours awake then it's almost exactly the same ratio of asleep/awake in the MCU2, and the 2nd pattern is preferable to allow the car to handle abrupt weathers/draining of the 12V battery.

My car tends to sleep for exactly 58 minutes before becoming awake for 14 minutes. It would be interesting to gather more information about the sleep pattern in MCU1 cars or Model 3/Y, since people have said that their cars could sleep for hours/days but neglected to mention the awake periods.

With this sleep pattern, it's supposed to last 100 days from 100% (in reality it should be more since I'd expect at lower state of charge the car would sleep for longer). Based on what you said about the car losing 1% a day with the MCU1, and the ratio of sleep/awake cycles that would seem quite normal.
Tesla agreed with me that the second pattern is not preferable because the car/ computer never sleeps for the old Model S and cause a drain of 3% or more what is unacceptable.
The first pattern has a lost of 1% a day and is the preferable pattern. The car can then go into sleep. With a software-update Tesla has solved the issue and the car now go to sleep.

charging a 12V battery is not something you do every hour. twice a day is enough if the drain consumption is low enough.

Tesla agreed with me that the second pattern is not preferable because the car/ computer never sleeps for the old Model S and cause a drain of 3% or more what is unacceptable.
The first pattern has a lost of 1% a day and is the preferable pattern. The car can then go into sleep. With a software-update Tesla has solved the issue and the car now go to sleep.

charging a 12V battery is not something you do every hour. twice a day is enough if the drain consumption is low enough.
What software version were you on and what did they update you to?

@fetzu what was the end result of your situation?

I just discovered this problem myself, my car sleeps for 54 minutes, then wakes for 19, rinse & repeat. My car is in for other service items and am trying to decide if i should have tesla replace my 12v. Would hate to do that and see the issue not resolved.
I did change the 12v battery (it did reduce the amount of battery drain slightly, but did not change the -in my case- offline/idle pattern). I went to Tesla to have the car checked and also had them do a remote diagnostic and they told me that the « US engineering team is aware of this behavior, are working on a fix but cannot provide a timeline ». (AKA as Tesla’s « We are definitely not interested in fixing this, stop annoying us and maybe wait a few years when we offer the next hardware upgrade that might or not fix that issue and add a bunch of new ones. » )

I'm still having this issue. Tesla blames Teslamate. Teslamate says it can't be them.

Am I the only one still having this problem?
It is not Teslamate that makes the car awake. That is for sure.
Rik at Tesla Service Duiven in the Netherlands had my car for a week observation to monitor the habbits of the car. I have a Model S 2015 with MCU2 just installed when I had the same problem. TeslaMate gave good insight of the issue. But of course Tesla can see even more... but has to continues monitor the car on site.
I do not know your car and even not if you have it after installation of the MCU2. However, if this is the case, maybe your Tesla service could make a call to Rik at Tesla Service Duiven in the Netherlands.

It is not Teslamate that makes the car awake. That is for sure.
Rik at Tesla Service Duiven in the Netherlands had my car for a week observation to monitor the habbits of the car. I have a Model S 2015 with MCU2 just installed when I had the same problem. TeslaMate gave good insight of the issue. But of course Tesla can see even more... but has to continues monitor the car on site.
I do not know your car and even not if you have it after installation of the MCU2. However, if this is the case, maybe your Tesla service could make a call to Rik at Tesla Service Duiven in the Netherlands.
I have a 2017 S75 with MCU2. Since monitoring via Tesla ate last year, I have always had this issue. I do not have data on before the upgrade to MCU2.

My local service center said they would monitor the situation remotely. If the fix is truly a software update to the latest version, then all I have to do is update, something I don't even need them for.

However, I am on v10 , 2021.44.6. I do not want v11 software... So if what you are saying is correct, I have to choose whether I want v10 and this problem, or v11 and not this problem. That being said, I still think the pattern of having the car awake up to 2 hours After many hours asleep, still doesn't seem right. Why is your car waking for so long?

I have a 2017 S75 with MCU2. Since monitoring via Tesla ate last year, I have always had this issue. I do not have data on before the upgrade to MCU2.

My local service center said they would monitor the situation remotely. If the fix is truly a software update to the latest version, then all I have to do is update, something I don't even need them for.

However, I am on v10 , 2021.44.6. I do not want v11 software... So if what you are saying is correct, I have to choose whether I want v10 and this problem, or v11 and not this problem. That being said, I still think the pattern of having the car awake up to 2 hours After many hours asleep, still doesn't seem right. Why is your car waking for so long?
I do not know (exact) why the car has that sleep sequence (8 hours sleep, 2 hours awake). What I do know is that with the powermanagement of the earlier Model S and X, the car awakes 2 times a day for charging the 12V battery. Depending on the drain it will take some time. But to charge the 12V, the computer (MCU) has to wake up to that, so other processes are starting also.

WIth the newer Tesla's (model 3 introduction) The power management team did think better of how to setup the architecture. With the MCU2 (newer hardware) in an older power architecture, there will be some complications.

Tesla responded and is blaming Teslamate. Exact response...

"After review of full system logs we found the vehicle was being pinged by a 3rd party App (CarAPI) in order to retrieve vitals from your vehicle. This is normal behavior of the 3rd party App, and Tesla does not recommend the use of them. During the time you had the 3rd party app disconnected, we did not see any abnormal keep awakes. Vehicle was operating as designed."

Not sure what else I can do at this point. If I don't use Teslamate, I have no way to know if it truly is sleeping correctly or not. If I do use Teslamate, it could apparently be the cause of the issue itself.

Reactions: Smileysam

"After review of full system logs we found the vehicle was being pinged by a 3rd party App (CarAPI) in order to retrieve vitals from your vehicle. This is normal behavior of the 3rd party App, and Tesla does not recommend the use of them. During the time you had the 3rd party app disconnected, we did not see any abnormal keep awakes. Vehicle was operating as designed."

Not sure what else I can do at this point. If I don't use Teslamate, I have no way to know if it truly is sleeping correctly or not. If I do use Teslamate, it could apparently be the cause of the issue itself.
Well with a logging like: Car constantly cycles sleep and wake. · Issue #2556 · adriankumpf/teslamate

It is easy to prove that Teslamate does not wake the car. If Teslamate could awake the car, it would never sleep.

Tesla service personnels don't really have any insights into how the car behaves since the vast majority of them don't have access to/the technical know-how to understand the car's firmware's sources. I wouldn't take what they say as the truth.

Reading between the lines, it seems that they just wanted to tell you off rather than doing the right thing and escalate to the engineering team.

If they have access to the firmware's sources then with a bit of digging it'll be quite easy to find out the reason why the car does what it does.

The sleeping pattern in the screenshot that someone posted in Car constantly cycles sleep and wake. · Issue #2556 · adriankumpf/teslamate was exactly the same as my car does (and yours too). You can find a bit more details on this issue in my thread where I analysed the power consumption here Huge amount of wasted energy caused by undesirable sleep patterns using smart chargers .

Well with a logging like: Car constantly cycles sleep and wake. · Issue #2556 · adriankumpf/teslamate

It is easy to prove that Teslamate does not wake the car. If Teslamate could awake the car, it would never sleep.

Tesla service personnels don't really have any insights into how the car behaves since the vast majority of them don't have access to/the technical know-how to understand the car's firmware's sources. I wouldn't take what they say as the truth.

Reading between the lines, it seems that they just wanted to tell you off rather than doing the right thing and escalate to the engineering team.

If they have access to the firmware's sources then with a bit of digging it'll be quite easy to find out the reason why the car does what it does.

The sleeping pattern in the screenshot that someone posted in Car constantly cycles sleep and wake. · Issue #2556 · adriankumpf/teslamate was exactly the same as my car does (and yours too). You can find a bit more details on this issue in my thread where I analysed the power consumption here Huge amount of wasted energy caused by undesirable sleep patterns using smart chargers .

Thanks, ya, I am the one that posted that.

I also read that thread on your issue, thanks. I am not so sure your car being awake so long like that is desired. I feel like plenty of owners with similar configurations as us (2017 S75) have their car sleep for long periods of time and only wake a little each day to charge the 12v.

Thanks, ya, I am the one that posted that.

I also read that thread on your issue, thanks. I am not so sure your car being awake so long like that is desired. I feel like plenty of owners with similar configurations as us (2017 S75) have their car sleep for long periods of time and only wake a little each day to charge the 12v.
I see.

The sleep pattern is certainly not desirable, but we don't have enough data to conclude whether it is expected. I created that thread in order to collect more data rather than seeking a solution. At the end of the day, the car'd consume ~6Wh on average with this sleep pattern, which is quite acceptable.

Does your car have the MCU2 by any chance?.

I see.

The sleep pattern is certainly not desirable, but we don't have enough data to conclude whether it is expected. I created that thread in order to collect more data rather than seeking a solution. At the end of the day, the car'd consume ~6Wh on average with this sleep pattern, which is quite acceptable.

Does your car have the MCU2 by any chance?.
Yes, has MCU2 and I have no data on prior to that.

I did some more digging and wrote a query for teslamate. This might help you get a better look of when you're issue started and how often it occurs. For me, it basically confirms that it has never slept or gone offline properly for more than 2 hours. and often not more than 1 hour.

SELECT *
FROM states
where car_id =1 and (state ='asleep' or state = 'offline') and
(DATE_PART('day', end_date::timestamp - start_date::timestamp) * 24 +
DATE_PART('hour', end_date::timestamp - start_date::timestamp)) * 60 +
DATE_PART('minute', end_date::timestamp - start_date::timestamp) >= 180
ORDER BY 1

Change the 180 and the >= to whatever you are comfortable with to get the results you want. You probably don't need the order by 1 either.

The pattern is readily seen on the Overview page too :) , here is mine:

1648673861311.png

What is more interesting to me personally is the energy costs:
1648673910379.png

A consumption of 30W/h is quite common, anything higher was the car waking up by manual events such as being unlocked. It works out to be 0.72kWh/day which is 1% of the battery.

Many people said that their car consume 1% of the battery on average per day. It would be interesting to see similar data, as I do expect later model 3 & Y (at least from 2021) to be more efficient but it otherwise seems normal.

Car's sleep pattern might also improve as its battery becomes lower than 20%, as it's where many of its power saving tricks come into play, but I don't have recent data for this.

• Helpful
Reactions: Maurice1
The point of the SQL query is to allow you to get instant historical data on events that meet a threshold (i.e. where offline or alseep for more than an hour...more than 2...etc.), then you can try and figure out maybe what you and the car were doing that day that allowed it to sleep longer? I found an unexplained offline for 5 hours in november, i am wondering now if maybe it was less than 20%? Interesting thought, I will let it get below that and then check for data.

My wife's Y looks nothing like my S, it sleeps for Hours on end.

The real question is.... is the pattern we are seeing with our S normal, and just most people don't care/know and that's the end of the story. Or are there in fact people with an S, who have longer sleep patterns, and just haven't chimed in?

I have yet to see anyone post a model S MCU2 with a longer sleep pattern than what I am seeing.

I found an unexplained offline for 5 hours in november, i am wondering now if maybe it was less than 20%?
You can change the range of the data being displayed near the top-right corner of any page in Grafana. I've only started using it since the past few months and rarely let it get below 20% SoC so I don't have any data on this.

I concur about the Model 3 & Y being better sleepers. If you have TeslaMate monitoring the MY then could you check what the vampire drain looks like?.

You can change the range of the data being displayed near the top-right corner of any page in Grafana.
Yes, but you'll still be browsing. The SQL query will give you specific results instead of having to look at the graph through different date periods.

To be clear, in the query you don't adjust Start_date and end_date, leave that exactly as is.
You only adjust car_id to something other than 1 if you have more than 1 tesla, and adjust the "180" to the number of minutes you want to have the results show for. 180 meaning only show results of sleep/offline for periods that were more than 3 hours.

Yes, but you'll still be browsing. The SQL query will give you specific results instead of having to look at the graph through different date periods.

To be clear, in the query you don't adjust Start_date and end_date, leave that exactly as is.
You only adjust car_id to something other than 1 if you have more than 1 tesla, and adjust the "180" to the number of minutes you want to have the results show for. 180 meaning only show results of sleep/offline for periods that were more than 3 hours.
Yes, I've tried the query, it'd be quite helpful for someone having a lot of historical data.

It isn't able to discern instances where data wasn't available (in my case it was when I stopped my VM for the PC's maintenance for a few hours), but it correctly detected that period where the car supposedly was asleep for nearly 3 hours. If you ever powered off your server then it's worth double checking whether that 5 hours of sleep period was valid :) .

To be honest, I'll be very happy if the car could keep its current sleep pattern all the time. My other thread gives details about an issue with much worse sleep pattern that is quite easily reproducible too. I wonder if you also have that issue?.