Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2017 75D wont sleep properly 1hr sleep, 15min awake repeat...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Spent a good amount of time reviewing this with Tesla. They confirmed that 100% the issue is Teslamate poking the car. They analyzed my car state and records for a time period when I was tracking with teslamate, and when I wasn't, everything else was the same. They could specifically see on their end where I turned teslamate back on. They could also specifically tell me when the HV contacts were happening (i.e. sleep/wake cycle changing) and it was certainly longer than the 1 hour i usually see with Teslamate. The car was sleeping for long periods of time when Teslamate was off.

Since the Teslamate developer refuses to look at this issue as a possible Teslamate problem, the only options seem to be living with the cycling of online/offline and keep Teslamate running, or turn off Teslamate, and enjoy longer periods of sleep (that you can't see).

Update: Spent a good amount of time reviewing this with Tesla. They confirmed that 100% the issue is Teslamate poking the car. They analyzed my car state and records for a time period when I was tracking with teslamate, and when I wasn't, everything else was the same. They could specifically see on their end where I turned teslamate back on. They could also specifically tell me when the HV contacts were happening (i.e. sleep/wake cycle changing) and it was certainly longer than the 1 hour i usually see with Teslamate. The car was sleeping for long periods of time when Teslamate was off.

Since the Teslamate developer refuses to look at this issue as a possible Teslamate problem, the only options seem to be living with the cycling of online/offline and keep Teslamate running, or turn off Teslamate, and enjoy longer periods of sleep (that you can't see).
Thanks for the information but if it was truly caused by TeslaMate as Tesla alleges then this sleep pattern woudn't have been possible: Huge amount of wasted energy caused by undesirable sleep patterns using smart chargers .

It also doesn't take into account the awful sleep pattern when using a smart charger Huge amount of wasted energy caused by undesirable sleep patterns using smart chargers . In this case it was caused by a combination of the car keeping waking up and the charger providing no power. In this case TeslaMate couldn't have been the cause of waking up the car every 8 minutes.

I'm on holiday but will try disabling TeslaMate and query the car manually without waking it up to see if that is reproducible. Either ways, it seems that Tesla is steadfast is considering this a 3rd-party's issue.

Just as an additional datapoint:
- I had some big vampire drain related to this, disabling TeslaMate (and/or every app) did not help.
- The MCU itself showed that the car never slept more than 3700 something seconds; even though TeslaMate (and/or every app) had been deactivated for months (with continuous periods of 10 days with the car staying idle).

It’s a bit of a catch 22: you need an app to check if your car is sleeping, but (according to Tesla) the app is the reason the car is not sleeping.
I never had this issue before upgrading to MCU2; my money is on something being configured wrong during the upgrade for some car configs.

Well I will say that, technically, it may not be TeslaMate specifically... but just something to do with SOMETHING accessing the system. Even though I turned off Teslamate, reset my password, etc during the period they monitored my car for 4 days and saw deep sleep, I also completely disabled Mobile access from the car.

So Since all that off, and car slept fine, and turn some stuff on, and it doesn't, clearly SOMETHING about the api or my car's mobile access is causing the issue. My new theory is that those of us with 2017 S's that were upgraded to MCU2, have something wrong with our api stream, or something of the sort, and for things like Teslamate that don't cause "wake issues" in other cars, for our cars, for some reason, the same thing does keep are cars from deep sleep.

I am not sure we'll ever have a real answer.

I am doing some testing with TeslaFi over the next week or so to see if I get a different result then with Teslamate. So far I haven't, but there are a lot of options to adjust. I wish we could see that upgrade MCU2 users, also use Teslamate, and have normal sleep cycles. I don't think I have seen any evidence of that anywhere.

What I meant to say is that they told you your car has gotten some deep sleep, you have no way of verifying this independently.

I take everything they report with a hint of skepticism: they came up with widely different energy consumption number than those reported by their own API when they “monitored” my car for a week. And I truly would not understand why they would have “internal” API endpoints that reported some data and “public” API endpoints would somehow misreport the same data.

I think all we can do and just suck it and accept that our cars never sleep and are slowly killing the MCU, the 12v and possibly the HV battery with completely unnecessary cycles. Maybe the MCU3 upgrade will fix all of that :throwhandsintheair:…

What I meant to say is that they told you your car has gotten some deep sleep, you have no way of verifying this independently.
They (a specific mobile tech i have had work on my car before), communicated to me the exact times he saw the car reconnecting hv battery, down to the minute. It seems unlikely he would provide that level of detail as a straight up lie.

I also completely disabled Mobile access from the car.
This seems to be a key detail. It's a little late now but if the car keeps waking up every hour with only the Tesla mobile app connected then the system as a whole has a problem which Tesla is not acknowledging.
I am doing some testing with TeslaFi over the next week or so to see if I get a different result then with Teslamate. So far I haven't, but there are a lot of options to adjust. I wish we could see that upgrade MCU2 users, also use Teslamate, and have normal sleep cycles. I don't think I have seen any evidence of that anywhere.
If you're inclined then a quick way without potentially introducing many unknowns inherent to a new monitoring system (TeslaFi) is to use GitHub - tdorssers/TeslaPy: A Python module to use the Tesla Motors Owner API . With a simple query using cli.py (without using the -w option to wake up the car), it could keep the car awake but it will not wake it up. For example, this could be run in a Bash shell:
Bash:
while true; do python cli.py -e "your_email" -m; sleep 60; done
Letting the script run for an hour or so it'd be clear whether the car is waking up by itself (or at least something else not related to TeslaMate).

This seems to be a key detail. It's a little late now but if the car keeps waking up every hour with only the Tesla mobile app connected then the system as a whole has a problem which Tesla is not acknowledging.
I agree. I am hoping that with TeslaMate, and everything else off, but mobile access on, the issue still occurs and then i would be able to bring that to Tesla hopefully for a fix.

Next time I am gonna be leavingb my car for 4 days or so, I plan to turn off Teslamate and everything else, change password, etc, and leave the car. Then after a few days, I'll turn on mobile access from the car but still leave Teslamate, etc off. than after another day or so, I will actually log in to the Tesla app, and again, leave things as is.

Then I'll open a ticket with Tesla and ask them again to review logs for those days, and see what we find.

Reactions: vanhtu1987
How did this turn out?
I myself have a Model S 2017 with the MCU upgraded since last month.

Teslamate has been logging my car since I have it and since the MCU upgrade it started to have sleeping issues.
It sleeps exactly 57 minutes and wakes up for 15 minutes or something.
Since the upgrade I had 3 software updates and no change in behaviour.
EC2E27B8-05C7-467C-90F9-ADDFCCCB9F41.jpeg

I tried changing my password and it didn’t help.

Then I tried changing my password again and left Teslamate or any other app out.
One of the differences I notice, is that the iOS widget on my screen, which also states when it had a last update, gives my a larger time than >1 hour 20 minutes ago (which was always the maximum period I saw in my widget). I’ve seen 3 hours and 30 minutes ago.
DB2ABA78-7D06-4964-981E-8F1DADBE8F37.jpeg

Based on that I can assume the car does sleep better somehow.
I still do see that my car keeps connected to my home WiFi (through my router status).

On the other hand, as soon as I use the API, even when it’s not Teslamate, but for example the Home Assistant integration, the 1 hour cycle is back again.

So I don’t know yet if this configuration just is really sensitive for an API call to wake up the car, or it is normal, or something else is still actively using the API token, or…

Last edited:
As I've indicated in the past in this thread, My Experience with these issues have been that you need to
a) Change your Tesla Account Password
b) Contact Service to request they cancel/remove any API's associated with your Account for 3rd Party Apps.
c) Change your Tesla Account Password Again.

Item c) probably isn't required, but just another step I did that resolved my issues.

This process normally takes Tesla around 1-2 hours to complete.
When this is done you should see that the vehicle goes to sleep over the next couple of days without issue and Vampire Drain etc disappears.

After this you can re-add your 3rd Party Apps one at a time with the API's and see how things go.

As I've indicated in the past in this thread, My Experience with these issues have been that you need to
a) Change your Tesla Account Password
b) Contact Service to request they cancel/remove any API's associated with your Account for 3rd Party Apps.
c) Change your Tesla Account Password Again.

Item c) probably isn't required, but just another step I did that resolved my issues.

This process normally takes Tesla around 1-2 hours to complete.
When this is done you should see that the vehicle goes to sleep over the next couple of days without issue and Vampire Drain etc disappears.

After this you can re-add your 3rd Party Apps one at a time with the API's and see how things go.
Tried this months ago, made no difference

Reactions: sb1089
I've contacted Tesla account support after resetting my password. They cannot find the cause of my car which isn't sleeping whilst I asked i they can remove the tokens.
Account support contacted my local SC to investigate it further.
So maybe it's a hardware fault. Anyway, next week my appointment is due so maybe I'll know more.

• Informative
Reactions: fetzu and Droschke
Well I averages around 50Wh (in the summer time)
Given a tariff of 0,35 per kWh, it is 0,05Wh*24hrs*365days = 438kWh -> 153 euros annually , which are spent without doing anything with the car.

It’s not a that big of deal, but if we can throw less energy away, I wouldn’t really mind.

Well I averages around 50Wh (in the summer time)
Given a tariff of 0,35 per kWh, it is 0,05Wh*24hrs*365days = 438kWh -> 153 euros annually , which are spent without doing anything with the car.

It’s not a that big of deal, but if we can throw less energy away, I wouldn’t really mind.
I'd expect that most of us would have access to cheap night rates, the 20 quid figure assumes a 7.5p/kWh night rate, but I take your point that everyone's circumstance might differ.

It's quite a bit higher than an average ICE's energy consumption on standby, which seems to be 1-1.5W.