Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2017 - Behind Back Seat Open Panels - Quality Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's going on here?

2017-03-05 11_24_39-tesla back seat panels2.jpg (JPEG-Grafik, 711 × 772 Pixel).png

You know, there is an easy way that's been known for decades to avoid all this in the future for anyone who is concerned:

just don't buy a car built on a Friday! :p

(Having pulled apart an even worse BMW interior, this definitely falls into the "first world problems" category!)

Reactions: Max*
You know, there is an easy way that's been known for decades to avoid all this in the future for anyone who is concerned:

just don't buy a car built on a Friday! :p

The problem is it always seems to be Friday in Fremont. :)

If this was the only problem with my car I'd be fine, but it's just the tip of the poor quality iceberg. It's symbolic of the lack of care Tesla has in assembling these cars and the lack of interest on Tesla's part in fixing problems like this.

If you fold down the back seats, you can see carpet panels above where the wheels are..

I notice that basically every Model S has these panels that seem to have "manufacturer issues".

They are open or have a huge gap... and you see inside into the electrical.

Most Tesla salesman are completely unaware of this issue..

Most service reps have no clue this exists..

I notice this on my vehicle and also on showroom Model S vehicles..

I emailed Customer Service in Fremont, and they say this is "within their tolerance".

I don't think this is "normal".

Maybe normal for Tesla's fault tolerance... but not for a vehicle of this caliber or even half the price..

Very disappointing that Tesla's service reps don't have the resources to fix this.. and they let vehicles out w/ this kind of shoddy workmanship.

Is this Tesla's "normal"?

@#$@#

View attachment 217106 View attachment 217107

Is this problem being addressed now that Tesla HQ is involved with fixing your car?

Is this problem being addressed now that Tesla HQ is involved with fixing your car?

They say it's a "manufacturing design" issue that can't be "fixed".

They were able to make it fit slightly better with some pulling and tugging.. but it's just not designed well.

You'll notice in all the new cars.. they are like this.. UNFORTUNATELY.

Disclaimer: From what I have seen in the local showrooms.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Well, considering I posted a picture above showing that mine doesn't have this issue, I take it you are only interested in seeing cases that support your agenda.

I believe you said yours was a 2016.

I don't know about the build specs on the '16's, but from what I can tell, all the 2017's seem to have this issue.

Why do I assume this?
1. The service manager admitted it's a Tesla build issue
2. The new cars I inspected all had the same problem.
3. The service techs said it's within their quality tolerance
* If that's true, that's a very generous tolerance standard

NOT GOOD!

• Informative
Reactions: MS16 and davidc18
My P100 has a gap. And to say the least I am absolutely becoming more and more disappointed with Tesla. When they deliver car with these kinds of QC issues. And for them to say its "Within their quality tolerance" that's BS. I could give less than 3 Ssssssss that you can't see it while the car is under normal use. It's still annoying that you even know it there. Which causes you to look at it over and over.... Whenever we return home I'm gonna take my P100 in for this and once again this squeaking noise that come's from the pano roof when you open it.

• Informative
Reactions: MS16 and davidc18
My P100 has a gap. And to say the least I am absolutely becoming more and more disappointed with Tesla. When they deliver car with these kinds of QC issues. And for them to say its "Within their quality tolerance" that's BS. I could give less than 3 Ssssssss that you can't see it while the car is under normal use. It's still annoying that you even know it there. Which causes you to look at it over and over.... Whenever we return home I'm gonna take my P100 in for this and once again this squeaking noise that come's from the pano roof when you open it.

I totally agree...

It's like they use that line to "get out of jail free..."

....... "it's within Tesla's Tolerance Standards".... H@#$@# S@#$#

RAISE THE STANDARDS!