Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2017 rolling and won't stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, so I've purchased Model S 2017 reg recently and 1 thing that bugs me: it doesn't come to full stop(regen braking?) like it will creep at 1mile and can ever roll backwards if its even a very slight slope, unless i manually apply full brake. It will freely roll either way, when parking on my steep(ish) driveway until Hill hold applied.
Creep mode is off.
Weather conditions are mild, battery less then 75% on regular basis.
Any ideas why it happens? Thanks😊

Solution
This is the normal functionality of the Model S and Model X up until when the 'Raven' models were introduced. Temperature conditions and SOC does not alter this behavior.

The difference of the earlier Model S/X vehicles versus newer goes back to the characteristic of the induction motors being used. Tesla then went to a permanent magnet motor first used in the Model 3/Y. The later 'Raven' Model S/X has a combination of one permanent magnet and one induction motor. It's the characteristics of the permanent magnet motor that allows coming to a complete stop without the need to touch the brake to engage Hold mode.
This is the normal functionality of the Model S and Model X up until when the 'Raven' models were introduced. Temperature conditions and SOC does not alter this behavior.

The difference of the earlier Model S/X vehicles versus newer goes back to the characteristic of the induction motors being used. Tesla then went to a permanent magnet motor first used in the Model 3/Y. The later 'Raven' Model S/X has a combination of one permanent magnet and one induction motor. It's the characteristics of the permanent magnet motor that allows coming to a complete stop without the need to touch the brake to engage Hold mode.

Upvote 0
Solution

That makes so much sense! Thank you! As I was comparing to our 2021 model 3 and couldn't figure if its normal in older cars or some fault is there.. I appreciate your input!
With induction motors they presumably would have to provide power in reverse to come to a stop without brakes.
That would be nice. I'm getting the hang of extra breaking and avoiding the dreadful roll with the wall/fence right in front of me... its just a little odd and annoying after driving Model 3.
It doesn't stop and I'm not brave and wealthy enough to test if it will apply emergency brakes 2 inches from the object in front/back, which probably not, with the speed under 3mph...

Upvote 0
It doesn't stop and I'm not brave and wealthy enough to test if it will apply emergency brakes 2 inches from the object in front/back, which probably not, with the speed under 3mph...
Don't try it. It won't stop.

With induction motors they presumably would have to provide power in reverse to come to a stop without brakes.

It takes more than just providing power in reverse, as that would make the car then move in reverse direction. To bring it to a full stop you need to be constantly jittering between force in one direction and then the other. Would both pull decent power to hold it, plus you might feel this slight vibration type of sensation.

Upvote 0
One could test with a large cardboard box without risk.

I’m not certain but with computer controls on the electric motors it would seem easy to have a motor drive in reverse to stop the vehicle from slowest speeds and then cease when at zero velocity, at which the parking brake is applied automatically. No need to use the motors to hold position, just to stop.

Upvote 0