Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2018 P100D vs new LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am seeking the opinion of the forum regarding my lease termination. I have a 2018 P100D with about 29,000 miles on it. Black on black with black arachnid staggered 21" wheels. (Wheels purchased aftermarket, and not part of the lease) The lease is up in early February 2022. The buyout price is around $66,000. Car is in great condition. I drive it daily. It is my third Model S. I had the P85+, then P90D previously, so I am very familiar with Tesla. Each car has been better than the previous one. Wife is driving her second Model X. I put a deposit down for a new LR Model S several months ago. Price of $100K. I recently looked at the Tesla website and cars like mine are listed for $90k +. I know that they probably have some type of warranty from Tesla, so I could not get that much privately. In any case, is the new model that much better than the old? The interior looks much nicer, which has always been something that has bothered me a bit. If I purchase it, and then sold immediately, do I have to pay tax and license, or does the new owner? Tesla knows that there is a big delta between the lease buyout price, and what they can sell it for. They will not give any additional money as credit for a new vehicle. I would consider doing the Plaid which is available now, if they were more flexible. They said they no longer allow lease termination sales directly to a third party, such as CarMax. I really cannot think of a strong reason not to buy the car. Anything I am not thinking of? Thanks in advance.

Your current car is worth considerably more than the payout, in all likelihood, so buying it outright now is a no-brainer. Even if you do decide to sell it or trade it in on a new Model S when that one finally arrives (which could be months away).

I made the mistake of selling my 2020 Model S LR back in June when I ordered my refreshed Model S. At the time, my EDD was in October, so no big deal, but I still haven't gotten my car, and am really kicking myself for selling my old MS so early in the process. Good luck!

Reactions: bllydia
Thank you. I guess I'm just worried that I am overlooking something. First Tesla had a guaranteed buy back and others were leases, so I have never had to risk unanticipated circumstances of owning after warranty.