Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2020 Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am expecting, finally, to get my new S soon....Have not seen too many threads on the new 2020 S.....my question is: ....what are your thoughts on the new 2020 model s......have you had any issues.....charging, paint, fit or performance.....I see the threads for the battery issue and charging issues, but they are mostly related to older model s cars......so please bear with me for this thread.....just looking for 2020 information.....thanks in advance

how far out is the new S and what will be the differences?

You may already have most/all of those “new” features on the car you’re going to have delivered. The wireless phone charger is already listed on the website.

As for “new S around the corner”, I’d take any prognostications on that front with a block of salt. There’s a 2.5 year old thread just a few down from this one talking about how a refreshed S is “imminent”...

You may already have most/all of those “new” features on the car you’re going to have delivered. The wireless phone charger is already listed on the website.

As for “new S around the corner”, I’d take any prognostications on that front with a block of salt. There’s a 2.5 year old thread just a few down from this one talking about how a refreshed S is “imminent”...

Well the firmware contents gives a hint what's coming. The other pages have been speculations. And Plaid IS coming.

I’ve got my 2020 MSP for a little over a month. As a car guy, it’s truly amazing. Butter smooth, and couldn’t be happier. I haven’t had any issues in about 800 miles. My other cars are a Porsche 911 and a Nissan GT-R, and I personally think the MS is well worth the money compared to those to, price wise.

I love the air ride, steering feel, and the software functions, and not having to gas up. I agree that FSD is still it’s infancy, but I knew that going in.Still, what it can do, like cruising on the highway at 75mph and steer/brake itself, and lane change, is mind blowing. The infotainment too is one of the best designed UIs. Best daily driver I’ve had so far. I’ve had close to 15 ICE cars over the last 10 years.

As for what could be better, some of the software features need work, like the HVAC not being properly tuned for cold weather, and some of the cameras getting blinded by the sun. The LED headlights too are a little underpowered compared to my 911 and my wife’s Lexus.

This is not a car for people with a traditional car mindset for sure, like expecting BMW levels of service or delivery process, but if you level set your expectations correctly and you get a good car right out the bat (high chances you will) and don’t take every issue seen and written about in this forum as widespread, you’ll be happy.

Last edited:
2020 Q3= 2021 Q2 Tesla time. Then 3 mths later the redesigned bits to make up for the design errors and beginning 2022 HW4.5 comes out and it's obsolete. By then everyone is waiting for the new 4-motor cybertruck with 750 mile range and a promise that fsd will work by mid 2023. It's released Q2 2024 with the first actual production Roadsters made in a new Tesla factory in Mexico. Meanwhile Toyota demonstrates an FSD that works and rolls out their home Hydrogen generation plant. Oil prices tank and Emperor Trump decrees everyone must drive ICE......

I am expecting, finally, to get my new S soon....Have not seen too many threads on the new 2020 S.....my question is: ....what are your thoughts on the new 2020 model s......have you had any issues.....charging, paint, fit or performance.....I see the threads for the battery issue and charging issues, but they are mostly related to older model s cars......so please bear with me for this thread.....just looking for 2020 information.....thanks in advance
Hey. I’ve got a 2020 performance model and love it. No battery issues, no panel gaps, paint looks great with no visible flaws. Raven suspension rocks. To me it’s the perfect car. Waiting for a new update seemed risky. I don’t want a model 3 interior. I don’t want to pay extra for plaid. The performance model is plenty fast and a great deal compared to the competition. Free unlimited supercharging is a nice perk and who knows how long that will last.

Hey. I’ve got a 2020 performance model and love it. No battery issues, no panel gaps, paint looks great with no visible flaws. Raven suspension rocks. To me it’s the perfect car. Waiting for a new update seemed risky. I don’t want a model 3 interior. I don’t want to pay extra for plaid. The performance model is plenty fast and a great deal compared to the competition. Free unlimited supercharging is a nice perk and who knows how long that will last.

But slow charging compared to Model 3, outdated cooling so track mode would never come. This is what should come to a new Performance S.

2020 Q3= 2021 Q2 Tesla time. Then 3 mths later the redesigned bits to make up for the design errors and beginning 2022 HW4.5 comes out and it's obsolete. By then everyone is waiting for the new 4-motor cybertruck with 750 mile range and a promise that fsd will work by mid 2023. It's released Q2 2024 with the first actual production Roadsters made in a new Tesla factory in Mexico. Meanwhile Toyota demonstrates an FSD that works and rolls out their home Hydrogen generation plant. Oil prices tank and Emperor Trump decrees everyone must drive ICE......

They don't put that stuff in the firmware going out to cars unless it's really soon.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
yea, I must agree.....I think I will just get current.....been waiting since 22 Oct.....and I will get whatever new things they do and I feel it will be a mid-term 2020 and may have all the earlier pre-new years bugs worked out.....

Reactions: voltage
One thing about Tesla - if you like what you see today, buy it, as not all changes are good. Along with that Plaid drivetrain and maybe faster charging they may also install a Model 3 type dash. Unlike other car companies, once they announce the switch you can't order the old one anymore. You're stuck hoping there's one configured the way you want in inventory.

This is a sample of one, but still a valid data point. Do not for one second have any reservation regarding your car. I took delivery of a 2020 MS Performance in early November (October build). Unless you are driving a Tesla currently you will not believe just how much better your driving experience is going to be. Delivery (Springfield, NJ) was excellent. Paperwork and introduction to the car's features was professional and not rushed. The car is not perfect, but I forget about any minor shortcomings every time I press the accelerator pedal. Sorry ACCELERATOR!!! PEDAL. No need to bother with ludicrous + mode, plain old ludicrous is simply awe inducing. The negatives? The paint isn't up to luxury car standards (you have to look hard to find the flaws, but they are there), some of the panel gaps (although straight) would look marginal on a Corolla, the range is significantly reduced in the cold, there is wind noise at highway speeds (not at all intrusive but somewhat in contrast to the total silence up to 50 mph), and there is a shortage of storage space in the cabin. The positives? Love the interior look and the fact that there is an instrument cluster in the traditional position in front of the steering wheel, the seats just happen to fit me perfectly, the suspension and steering (both adjustable, are excellent), the 17" display and the easy to use interface, OTA updates, the range on a charge (adequate even with the 25% reduction below freezing), and the performance (instantaneous and mind boggling). I have had no issues in just over 2,000 miles. I make excuses to drive this car. Do not second guess your decision. Do not postpone hoping for the "update/refresh" . Do not deprive yourself of what this car offers. It's just so much fun.

This is a sample of one, but still a valid data point. Do not for one second have any reservation regarding your car. I took delivery of a 2020 MS Performance in early November (October build). Unless you are driving a Tesla currently you will not believe just how much better your driving experience is going to be. Delivery (Springfield, NJ) was excellent. Paperwork and introduction to the car's features was professional and not rushed. The car is not perfect, but I forget about any minor shortcomings every time I press the accelerator pedal. Sorry ACCELERATOR!!! PEDAL. No need to bother with ludicrous + mode, plain old ludicrous is simply awe inducing. The negatives? The paint isn't up to luxury car standards (you have to look hard to find the flaws, but they are there), some of the panel gaps (although straight) would look marginal on a Corolla, the range is significantly reduced in the cold, there is wind noise at highway speeds (not at all intrusive but somewhat in contrast to the total silence up to 50 mph), and there is a shortage of storage space in the cabin. The positives? Love the interior look and the fact that there is an instrument cluster in the traditional position in front of the steering wheel, the seats just happen to fit me perfectly, the suspension and steering (both adjustable, are excellent), the 17" display and the easy to use interface, OTA updates, the range on a charge (adequate even with the 25% reduction below freezing), and the performance (instantaneous and mind boggling). I have had no issues in just over 2,000 miles. I make excuses to drive this car. Do not second guess your decision. Do not postpone hoping for the "update/refresh" . Do not deprive yourself of what this car offers. It's just so much fun.
I am convinced....I have a Model 3 that belongs to my wife....she gets mad when I drive it.....I have Lexus GS350 and love it but I want the Model S.....I don't think that waiting for the plaid is in my best interest....I don''t want to spend another 20K and wait......So I will just stick with my order the was it is now and push them for a vin number and delivery date....I'm getting white/white with FSD and 19" wheels....Just can't wait to get it.....Driving the M3 is just plain fun.....wife told me today that unwell be running more of her errands when I get my MS......she's probably right....

Exterior won't change. Interior may change. Probably not for the better if they go along the lines of the M3. Unless you want absolute maximum performance, which there's absolutely no "need" for, then the current Model S is great. The new "Plaid" will probably cost $50,000 more and for what? 3 motors and a 0-60 time of 2.1 seconds instead of 2.4 seconds. Either one will give you a headache! I'll take the current S and 2.4 0-60 MPH, with a fully integrated center screen, a gauge panel screen (which I love) for $50,000 less all day long!!

Insurance cost to insure the Plaid version will likely add significantly to the overall cost of ownership as well. I guess the Plaid will also have some "boy racer" fender flares and vents on it, so for those that want a $100,000 to $150,000 car that looks like it has a bunch of aftermarket tack on additions to it (based on photos of the Plaid cars tested), then to each their own. I personally like the plaid, but reality says I would stick with the more elegant looking standard exterior we currently have. Same reason I didn't upgrade from the Stingray Corvette to the Z06 or ZR1. Those two looked too boy racer to me and for my taste. MS Plaid falls along the same lines.

You can get a wireless charger at any electronics shop, or online for $20. Don't need a new $150,000 car. New charger, lose the center gauge cluster, lose integration of the 17" screen for a slapped on one dangling out from the dash. For non-performance Models, exterior will be what we have now. You'll just get the revised interior, for better or worse!

2020 MS Performance built in Nov 2019 and delivered in November 2019.

I have the noise, vibration, and harshness on hard acceleration from the front of the car that’s been reported on tons of MS throughout their history and my car was delivered with a few paint defects that they will address but it’s up to me to get to the body shop. I do feel like Tesla will fix these issues eventually but it puts a burden on me to be running back and forth to service or a body shop. I’m busy and don’t want to have to deal with stuff like this.

Driving the car is amazing. The suspension is perfect. The sound system is good and Spotify actually works now. I love the room (hatchback) compared to our Model 3. The seats are seriously comfortable (I have the old seats). Autopilot takes away the parts of driving that suck.

I ordered with FSD and have some remorse there.

Some days I think I should have saved the money and got a long range without FSD but most days I’m glad I just went all-in.