Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2020 Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys....got my Model S vin today......can't believe it.......delivery set for Thursday......can't wait......joked with delivery and told them I can't wait for my new "red" S......he said, What?.....then I told him I was joking......but he said he had a red/white with FSD and 19" wheel somebody decided not to buy and I could have that one......mmmmm......my last 3 Lexus's have been Matador Red.....so I am going to stick with white this time......but can't wait to see it

Reactions: voltage
hey guys....got my Model S vin today......can't believe it.......delivery set for Thursday......can't wait......joked with delivery and told them I can't wait for my new "red" S......he said, What?.....then I told him I was joking......but he said he had a red/white with FSD and 19" wheel somebody decided not to buy and I could have that one......mmmmm......my last 3 Lexus's have been Matador Red.....so I am going to stick with white this time......but can't wait to see it
White is best for SoCal....Enjoy!

Unlike you, we use our sunroof all the time. Yes, we would give up the Raven benefits for a sunroof. The sunroof makes drive sto national parks incredible with fresh air flowing around you and you can also let in more light.

What do you mean by a more powerful computer? If you have FSD with a non Raven, you still get HW 3.0.

It's a shame they stopped offering the sunroof as an option.
I mean that yes you can get a non raven with a HW3.0. But the sunroof was long gone by then.

Got my car today!! The delivery was not as nice as I had hoped....I got vin on Tuesday morning and Tesla delivery center called me twice a day until today, asking if I was going to pick up.....I had requested Fri at 1300....Agreed to that time....Then they changed me to Thursday at 1500.....Then today, Tesla called ask asked it I could make it at 1600 due to detail crew was behind....No problem....So wife and I got there at 1545.....Gentleman came out and asked if we could wait few minutes while they bring car in from outside....again, no problem.....

Well at 1620, guy came back and said that they were short handed and that he was clocking out at 1630 so someone else would help us and that the car was outside if I wanted to inspect it.....So we did....Got to say the wait was worth it.....Car was in perfect condition...all panels lined up, paint was perfect so far, clean inside except for a small smudge on passenger seat and back seat, all cables and tow hook in place....Boy, what a relief after some of the others reviews I have read about delivery.....Then another person came out to finish up with us and go over any questions we may have had....

Car was charged and showed 315 miles......I looked and it appears that was close to 90%....Drove home and around for dinner and I noticed that the brake regeneration was very good....At least as good and my wife’s Model 3 before all the stupid updates that changed it...Very good pick and acceleration.....all in all, I am a happy right now with the way in which the car is performing.....

I don't know whether it is a good time to check, but I did and found that my battery capacity was was 98.02kW with only 55 miles and 73%....it is probably premature to make any assumptions yet, but I will keep monitoring this.....My model 3 has 4759 miles and calculates at 75kW

Tomorrow I will take off the front license place bracket and activate the Home-link garage door opener......this will be interesting....

I have the Goodyear Eagle tires and was wishing for the Continentals, but we will see how the run.....Maybe change out for Conti’s or Michelin.....

Now to tint windows and get PPF and ceramic coating.....

Thanks to everyone who has helped me make decisions...what a great forum for help and finding information about Tesla vehicles.....

Congrats! Many miles and smiles! Yes you have to take the service centers promises of a timely delivery with a large grain of salt. My raven was being shipped about 130 miles from a neighboring state. After a week or so I was set for a delivery on a Friday. They called and asked for me to come a couple of days early on weds. I said I couldn’t quite make that work. Let’s keep Friday. As I getting in my model S ( that I was trading in and canceled the insurance for midnight) they called and said hey we don’t have your car, it hasn’t been shipped over yet. ( why the hell did you want me to come a few days early??)Had to wait another week , cancel the new insurance, reinstate the old insurance. And when finally delivered I still had to wait over an hour from the agreed upon delivery time. I did get a Tesla hat for my trouble though

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
I am expecting, finally, to get my new S soon....Have not seen too many threads on the new 2020 S.....my question is: ....what are your thoughts on the new 2020 model s......have you had any issues.....charging, paint, fit or performance.....I see the threads for the battery issue and charging issues, but they are mostly related to older model s cars......so please bear with me for this thread.....just looking for 2020 information.....thanks in advance
You probably have your new S by now. Any issues in the drivetrain driving at very slow speeds such as freeway bumper to bumper. My 2020 does not transition to 0 mph and restart without this issue. Told by a Tesla tech this a problem with the new Raven drive train and no solution is available. Service had two vehicle in for service with this same issue when I was there. Difficult to explain but thud sound coming from the rear end and vibration like the rear engine is maybe stopping before the front.. If this was a ICE vehicle would say the rear end is going out. Also have a model and it is perfect.

You probably have your new S by now. Any issues in the drivetrain driving at very slow speeds such as freeway bumper to bumper. My 2020 does not transition to 0 mph and restart without this issue. Told by a Tesla tech this a problem with the new Raven drive train and no solution is available. Service had two vehicle in for service with this same issue when I was there. Difficult to explain but thud sound coming from the rear end and vibration like the rear engine is maybe stopping before the front.. If this was a ICE vehicle would say the rear end is going out. Also have a model and it is perfect.

I have had very few issues at all...One being the air suspension error shows a note that the air suspension will not operate and raise or lower the car.....this has happened 2-3 times...last time was 3 weeks ago.....

as for the “thud”.....I have no issue slowing from speed to 0mph.....once stopped, when I start off, I sometimes feels a small bump (could be a thud).....the more I think about it, it is a small thud sound......does not happen all the time, but it only happens when I start off really slow and and take foot off accelerator to stop......its like when you have the creep mode on......you press brake to stop.....with hold mode on, I just take for off peddle and feel this thud.....going in for the air suspension Tuesday and I will ask them about it....

what exactly did you tell service center about your issue.....I want to tell them the same thing to make sure we are talking apples and oranges......will keep you update here after I talk to them....

I am not sure if there is anything wrong with the sir suspension now because have not had any issues with raising or lowering...

Overall I am very pleased with this car.....just wish I could have gotten the range increase......I have been told it is a hardware upgrade and will cost but no one knows the price yet....

I’m surprised that none of the new owners have commented on rattles. That’s been an issue for all model years. Considering that, for the most part, body hardware hasn’t changed (I know suspension changes were made), I’d be curious as to what’s been done to prevent them...assuming they’re actually gone. For me this has been the biggest issue.

Last edited:
I’m surprised that none of the new owners have commented on rattles. That’s been an issue for all model years. Considering that, for the most part, body hardware hasn’t changed (I know suspension changes were made), I’d be curious as to what’s been done to prevent them...assuming they’re actually gone. For me this has been the biggest issue.
mine was a 17 Jan 20 build....I have not experienced any rattles or squeaks so far....seems to be pretty solid....I have only 1850 miles, but have been on a trip tp Yum, Az and back with no issues.....

@r1200gs4ok - "as for the “thud”.....I have no issue slowing from speed to 0mph.....once stopped, when I start off, I sometimes feels a small bump (could be a thud).....the more I think about it, it is a small thud sound......does not happen all the time, but it only happens when I start off really slow and and take foot off accelerator to stop......its like when you have the creep mode on......you press brake to stop.....with hold mode on, I just take for off peddle and feel this thud.....going in for the air suspension Tuesday and I will ask them about it...."

October 2019 build, performance version. Same very minor thud/pop from a stop. I only hear this when "stop" mode is engaged. I am pretty sure this is a very small delay in the car releasing the parking brake. Car slows to a stop and the parking brake is engaged to hold the car imobile (only with stop mode on). Press on the accelerator and the motors start applying torque a split second before the parking brake releases. When the brakes do release there is a minor pop and a barely perceptible lurch felt in the drivetrain. I never hear of feel this unless the stop mode is engaged. This sensation is consistent and has never been really noticeable to passengers. It's only that I know when I begin to depress the accelerator pedal that makes it noticeable.

@r1200gs4ok - "as for the “thud”.....I have no issue slowing from speed to 0mph.....once stopped, when I start off, I sometimes feels a small bump (could be a thud).....the more I think about it, it is a small thud sound......does not happen all the time, but it only happens when I start off really slow and and take foot off accelerator to stop......its like when you have the creep mode on......you press brake to stop.....with hold mode on, I just take for off peddle and feel this thud.....going in for the air suspension Tuesday and I will ask them about it...."

October 2019 build, performance version. Same very minor thud/pop from a stop. I only hear this when "stop" mode is engaged. I am pretty sure this is a very small delay in the car releasing the parking brake. Car slows to a stop and the parking brake is engaged to hold the car imobile (only with stop mode on). Press on the accelerator and the motors start applying torque a split second before the parking brake releases. When the brakes do release there is a minor pop and a barely perceptible lurch felt in the drivetrain. I never hear of feel this unless the stop mode is engaged. This sensation is consistent and has never been really noticeable to passengers. It's only that I know when I begin to depress the accelerator pedal that makes it noticeable.
boy ....thats nice to know...thanks....