Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2021 excessive idle battery drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I am noticing with my 2021 Tesla Model S - last 2 months or so that the car is loosing lot of range while parked ~5-8% each day. This used to around ~1% and I started the Service request and they mentioned over the phone confirmed that the car is indeed loosing excessive range while parked and that it could be weather related (I am in CA) and always to use climate control while driving on Auto and no manual. I was anyway doing that ~90% of the time and past 3-4 days kept it completely on auto and still similar issues. Note: while driving the range is fine but after taking the net effect this is just not workable.

Any suggestions on how to go about this? I don't have any 3rd party app integrated, I turn off tesla app after I park, rest fobs are hidden away at a good distance from the car, no sentry apps. Very confused!! The rep said to reach out after a month if the problem persists but I don't see any promising signs.

Thanks!

My Model S consumes 160-200W when powered on. Suppose that it does not go to sleep then it'd consume 3.8-4.8kWh/day, which is 5-7% total battery capacity.

The easiest way to check whether the car goes to sleep is to use a monitoring service like TeslaFi (free but it has a 30 day trial) or TeslaMate (completely free, but requires a bit of work to set up). Before doing so, you might want to try doing a hard reboot of the car as it might be failing to sleep due to a bug.