Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2021 - Rear window distortion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3P had distortions in the windscreen, passenger and driver side. They have all been replaced 3 times, and all still have distortions. I finally gave up and tinted all of them and I am trying to live with it. I was thinking maybe I will upgrade to the S because of the better build quality but now I am rethinking that after reading this thread.... sigh...

My M3P had distortions in the windscreen, passenger and driver side. They have all been replaced 3 times, and all still have distortions. I finally gave up and tinted all of them and I am trying to live with it. I was thinking maybe I will upgrade to the S because of the better build quality but now I am rethinking that after reading this thread.... sigh...
It’s the same/worse in the new S with double-pane glass. I currently have a 2018 Model 3 loaner that has no distortion in the side windows (and just minimal in the windshield).

I, too, have a severely distorted rear hatchback glass on my brand new 2022 Model S as well. It is particularly bad at the bottom, but there is clearly visible distortion all the way top to bottom. Just took my car to the service center this morning, and they looked at it and said that it is "within spec" and they would not fix it. Seriously, Tesla?! BTW, I also have a 2020 Model Y which is also hatchback style with similar glass, and it has no distortion at all.

I've come to learn that "within spec" has become a stock reply for Tesla for service issues that they do not want to be bothered to fix. For example, my Model Y came with two 5 mm and 4 mm misaligned rear body panels (measured with my Vernier), which according to Tesla were "within spec".

Sadly, once Tesla decrees that it is within spec, there is no one else to take the matter to, to get it resolved.

I, too, have a severely distorted rear hatchback glass on my brand new 2022 Model S as well. It is particularly bad at the bottom, but there is clearly visible distortion all the way top to bottom. Just took my car to the service center this morning, and they looked at it and said that it is "within spec" and they would not fix it. Seriously, Tesla?! BTW, I also have a 2020 Model Y which is also hatchback style with similar glass, and it has no distortion at all.

I've come to learn that "within spec" has become a stock reply for Tesla for service issues that they do not want to be bothered to fix. For example, my Model Y came with two 5 mm and 4 mm misaligned rear body panels (measured with my Vernier), which according to Tesla were "within spec".

Sadly, once Tesla decrees that it is within spec, there is no one else to take the matter to, to get it resolved.

Yup. Everything you say is true. Now don’t look too closely across (diagonally) the glass on the front windshield when making a turn. You’ll enjoy lots of visible rippling/distortion in that glass, too.

• Funny
Reactions: jacie6056
Sad to report than 2024 MSLR still have the same issues. I think the angle of the rear window makes the distortion worse. My 2016 MS didn’t any any on the rear window and much less on the front. Tesla must have changed supplier to a cheaper one with poor quality control.

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpeg
    IMG_2624.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2625.jpeg
    IMG_2625.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Sad to report than 2024 MSLR still have the same issues. I think the angle of the rear window makes the distortion worse. My 2016 MS didn’t any any on the rear window and much less on the front. Tesla must have changed supplier to a cheaper one with poor quality control.
Every single refresh Model S has this, including my 2021 S Plaid and my 2022 S Plaid. That windshield ripple is on both sides, but you'll only tend to notice it diagonally from you, so the passenger will see it on your side, and vice versa. The rear window distortion at the bottom is annoying but at least you're not staring at either of these positions 100% of the time.