Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2021 - Rear window distortion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didnt see a thread on the rear glass. On my 21 LR model S, if i look out the rear window, the bottom portion of the glass results in a distortion when viewing out (like loooking through a glass cup).

Not really clear if if this is normal, but it does cause the view to be confusing when viewing out the rear. Woudl like to know if this is normal or not. I have never owned a car in my life where the glass doesnt look natural (completely understanding how they laminated the glass however).

Didnt see a thread on the rear glass. On my 21 LR model S, if i look out the rear window, the bottom portion of the glass results in a distortion when viewing out (like loooking through a glass cup).

Not really clear if if this is normal, but it does cause the view to be confusing when viewing out the rear. Woudl like to know if this is normal or not. I have never owned a car in my life where the glass doesnt look natural (completely understanding how they laminated the glass however).
In both of my Teslas (2018 Model 3, 2021 Model S Refresh) everything through the rear window looks "distorted". Things look flatter and wider than normal. I've gotten used to it, but it does look weird. I don't know if it's the same with all Teslas or not.

Normal.

HA - I'm glad there' a thread about this. I just now returned from the SC here in the Phoenix area for exactly that same reason. So I had opened a ticket for the corners of my front windshield being distorted when you look out of it. As well, the rear bottom 1/3 of the back is REALLY distorted and ripply when you look out of it. Almost like you're looking through heat waves.

So I wanted to take it in to show them so they could order the glass ASAP. 2 gents came out and could totally see the front and rear distortion. They had already put in an order for a new front windshield. When I asked about the rear, they said that all the S LR and Plaid's they've seen HAD THE SAME ISSUE!. Even ones that were set up for delivery. In fact, he told me that mine was one of the mildest ones he's seen. He said that even the replacement glass that's coming in has the same issue. They replaced one recently and it was worse than what the guy had. So, he said he's putting it in the notes and it will be recorded as an issue and as far as he knows once they get enough complaints about this to create a "bulletin" they usually do something about it. But for now, there's no fix as their all the same. The guys were really nice and addressed my other issues so I have no reason to think they were feeding me a line.

So bottom line folks, if you have this issue, report it in the app ASAP.

Ridiculous that this is even a thing in 100k+ cars. Like laughable.

It may be normal for Tesla, but I've owned about 15 cars in my lifetime of all flavors and have never seen this. Ever. I've never
even heard of it as an issue. How can it be normal when you can't even look through it properly?

Oh, are you're asking me whether it should be acceptable for a car this price (or any car) to have visible glass distortion? In that case, - an emphatic NO. But don't get me started on what should be acceptable for a car of this price. Mine goes back in to Tesla tomorrow for a myriad of issues, including (but not limited to) a replacement high-voltage battery. I already had my windshield replaced for localized distortion right in my line of sight.

As for the rear window, it's normal in that every refresh Model S has this. You tend to tune it out, but it's bogus for Tesla to have this problem with their glass. If it's not funhouse mirror distortion in the side windows or the localized distortion many of us have with the windshield, - it really makes you wonder where the quality control is.

Bottom line, - unlike localized distortion in the windshield which does vary from windshield to windshield, the rears are all like that, and as much as it stinks to have to say it, - you just need to get used to it/deal with it.

Reactions: Marcust99
Oh, are you're asking me whether it should be acceptable for a car this price (or any car) to have visible glass distortion? In that case, - an emphatic NO. But don't get me started on what should be acceptable for a car of this price. Mine goes back in to Tesla tomorrow for a myriad of issues, including (but not limited to) a replacement high-voltage battery. I already had my windshield replaced for localized distortion right in my line of sight.

As for the rear window, it's normal in that every refresh Model S has this. You tend to tune it out, but it's bogus for Tesla to have this problem with their glass. If it's not funhouse mirror distortion in the side windows or the localized distortion many of us have with the windshield, - it really makes you wonder where the quality control is.

Bottom line, - unlike localized distortion in the windshield which does vary from windshield to windshield, the rears are all like that, and as much as it stinks to have to say it, - you just need to get used to it/deal with it.
Thanks for the input. I can get used to it, but again this is the MOST expensive car i have ever purchased, and these quirks are unbelievable (my model s was deliveried with mostly every panel/door misaligned which was later fixed by the SC).

Even my brand new F150 (picked up in July) and hell even my new Jayco RV had better fit and finish and less quirks than this tesla. WTF!! an RV which is built and know to be crap is better than this tesla LOL!... EDIT: my F150 is the first american car i have purchased since my 2006 Chrysler 300C!.. To be honest i am literally so impressed by this F150 that it embarrasses most of my past car and even rivalling our old 09 Lexus IS-F.

Still love the car, but my god. Its funny how i see so many folks on these forums just brush it off and accept it. On ANY other forums, things like these are completely unacceptable and complained to death and escalated.. I know thats how it was with our 2018 Odyessy Touring (that car was the WORST honda ever).

This seems incredible to me, and as someone who usually gets mentally stuck with small rattles or window distortions (I've seen one on Model Y during a test drive, I wasn't sure if that was me hallucinating)

Looks like Tesla's are just not for me :(

This seems incredible to me, and as someone who usually gets mentally stuck with small rattles or window distortions (I've seen one on Model Y during a test drive, I wasn't sure if that was me hallucinating)

Looks like Tesla's are just not for me :(

I wouldn't let that dissuade you. Not like you're staring out the back window the whole time or anything.

Reactions: croman
I don't have the ability to tune things out (there was 1 bad pixel in an NBA camera they used for some games, I couldn't watch those games, it wasn't even my TV, it was the camera they used, and it ruined games for me).

I also hear that ALL windows in Model S does this; how is that a thing in a $100k car?

I would probably see past it in a 20k car (even my 20k cars don't have distorted windows), but a Model S LR??

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I don't have the ability to tune things out (there was 1 bad pixel in an NBA camera they used for some games, I couldn't watch those games, it wasn't even my TV, it was the camera they used, and it ruined games for me).

I also hear that ALL windows in Model S does this; how is that a thing in a $100k car?

I would probably see past it in a 20k car (even my 20k cars don't have distorted windows), but a Model S LR??

It costs extra to warp the glass so lovingly in one spot on the rear window. Don't forget, Tesla has been PERFECTING distortion over many years, using their special glass-manufacturing process.

Go to 1:52 for the "Glass Distortion" test. It's actually the saddest thing that they even have this test, and yet don't notice all the distortion on these glass panes.

• Funny
Reactions: kazamm and jebinc
It costs extra to warp the glass so lovingly in one spot on the rear window. Don't forget, Tesla has been PERFECTING distortion over many years, using their special glass-manufacturing process.

Go to 1:52 for the "Glass Distortion" test. It's actually the saddest thing that they even have this test, and yet don't notice all the distortion on these glass panes.

This is embarrassing. I despise Elon, but I do know Tesla employs really good engineers - and this is embarrassing for them.

I only use my backup camera. Been doing that for over 5 years. View out the back is uselessly small even if it's not distorted. Rearview camera gives awesome live view. No issues.

I usually use my main screen for map etc, so prefer not to use the rear camera unless I'm specifically using it for reversing or for looking at something closer behind me etc.