Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2021 - Rear window distortion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery on Dec 10th, distortion is very evident but only in the bottom ~1" of my rear glass. SA I brought my checklist items to brushed it off. (Well, he brushed off everything except what turned out to be a harder adhesive that I thought was scratched paint.) I've had a number of hatchbacks with curved glass, so maybe I've got a higher tolerance...

Took delivery on Dec 10th, distortion is very evident but only in the bottom ~1" of my rear glass. SA I brought my checklist items to brushed it off. (Well, he brushed off everything except what turned out to be a harder adhesive that I thought was scratched paint.) I've had a number of hatchbacks with curved glass, so maybe I've got a higher tolerance...
How about all the other glass? Some reports of windshield and side glass distortion is all over these forums too.

Reactions: jebinc
How about all the other glass? Some reports of windshield and side glass distortion is all over these forums too.
All the side glass has distortion. It’s not like the rear glass where it’s really obvious, but the easiest way to see is if you look out at a tall building while stopped through the side windows and move your head around while looking at said building, you’ll see that distortion. It gives my wife a bit of a headache.

Now, since my new S is in the shop for the 400th time, she’s enjoying our 2017 Model S 75D loaner because the single-pane glass has no distortion at all on any of it!

As for the windshield, if you’re particularly sensitive you may notice some distortion on the passenger side when sitting in the driver’s seat, and vice versa when sitting in the passenger seat and looking across at the driver’s side windshield. It manifests as a slight “rippling wave” effect about 80% of the way down the windshield, running laterally. I tend to notice it only when going round a corner and looking across the car. Most won’t notice it.

A few of us (myself included) had localized distortion in a smaller, specific area that was out of spec, and thus had the windshield replaced.

Reactions: paulchou and jebinc
My drivers side window glass has distortion nearest the triangle piece as well.

I have not checked the passenger side yet.

Windshield is also distorted but only near the bottom 1” or so.
I have the same distortion on my driver side window near the triangle.

That makes for a distorted rear window, distorted front windshield, and distorted driver window. It’s like driving inside a fun house.

Is anyone having any luck getting these fixed? During my service appointment I got the standard Tesla “within spec” brush off.

I have the same distortion on my driver side window near the triangle.

That makes for a distorted rear window, distorted front windshield, and distorted driver window. It’s like driving inside a fun house.

Is anyone having any luck getting these fixed? During my service appointment I got the standard Tesla “within spec” brush off.

There's no fix, don't waste your time (sadly).

• Informative
Reactions: glide
Interesting, do you foresee any fix ever, or is this just literally the luck of the draw for 0.0002%?

I don't think there is a 0.0002% chance of distortion-free windows. I just can't say I'm ever 100% certain of anything, that's all. But... given I've not seen a new Model S distortion free, I'm going to go with near certainty this is just the manufacturing process for now. Maybe Tesla one day will care, but so far - not the case.

Reactions: jacie6056
I just took delivery on 2/23/22 and I do have the rear glass distortion in the bottom 1-2" of my windshield. I was going to take my car to get tinted this week with service appointment in 2 weeks to fix myriad of issues at delivery. I was going to hold of tinting in case they decide to replace the rear glass - but now after reading this forum I may just go through with the tint. Maybe it'll help?

I just took delivery on 2/23/22 and I do have the rear glass distortion in the bottom 1-2" of my windshield. I was going to take my car to get tinted this week with service appointment in 2 weeks to fix myriad of issues at delivery. I was going to hold of tinting in case they decide to replace the rear glass - but now after reading this forum I may just go through with the tint. Maybe it'll help?
Tint doesn’t help. All rear glass is like this, though.

All the side glass has distortion. It’s not like the rear glass where it’s really obvious, but the easiest way to see is if you look out at a tall building while stopped through the side windows and move your head around while looking at said building, you’ll see that distortion. It gives my wife a bit of a headache.

Now, since my new S is in the shop for the 400th time, she’s enjoying our 2017 Model S 75D loaner because the single-pane glass has no distortion at all on any of it!

As for the windshield, if you’re particularly sensitive you may notice some distortion on the passenger side when sitting in the driver’s seat, and vice versa when sitting in the passenger seat and looking across at the driver’s side windshield. It manifests as a slight “rippling wave” effect about 80% of the way down the windshield, running laterally. I tend to notice it only when going round a corner and looking across the car. Most won’t notice it.

A few of us (myself included) had localized distortion in a smaller, specific area that was out of spec, and thus had the windshield replaced.
Good description of the front windshield "rippling wave" - I thought I was the only one who have noticed it. Of course SA said it was "within spec" when I took it in last week.