Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2021 refresh tire / wheel size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the original arachnids work on the refresh LR?

I have ordered a refresh LR to replace my nearly 8 year old Model S P85. I received pretty much all the referral bonuses including the Elon-signed wall charger and the silver Arachnid Wheels. The latter are on my P85 at this point, I was planning to switch back to the original 19" wheels before selling my P85 but may rethink that if they won't be the right fitment for the new car. Was hoping to powder coat them black or gray (white car on order), they're in great shape except for one small area of curb rash which I'll get fixed.

For those that are interested, here's the Wheels and Tires page from the owner's manual...

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 5.43.24 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash
Good find in the manual.

I like to split the difference and run 20" aftermarket rims for a nice balance of looks vs ride comfort. When plugging those numbers from the manual into this tire size calculator, I suspect any new designs from T-Sportline will be the following to keep things equal:

• Front: 9.5" x 20" rims (with perhaps a slightly more aggressive offset), wrapped in 255/40R20 rubber
• Rear: 10.5" x 20" rims (with perhaps a slightly more aggressive offset), wrapped in 285/35R20 rubber

Looks like the Perilli P Zero high performance all season tires are an option in both those sizes already. Nice. Now just waiting to see what T-Sportline comes out with for the refreshed model.

What's the estimated weight on those? The price seems high compared to something similar like the Vorsteiner V-FF 103.

Our 20x10.5 SV104 weight 21.1lb.

91636677-D00B-484F-8321-8C2EB257601A.jpeg

—————————

Signature wheels are all fully forged.

Vorestiner V-FF 103 are flow form ( cast face with rolled barrel)

Apple to apple comparison:

Signature SV104 ( retail: $1375 each) vs Vorestiner VNF 501 ( retail: $1895 each)

Reactions: scrapps
I thought the penalty was in the aero, not in the wheel size? I.e. if 20" has worse aero than 21", then mileage will decrease even if wheel size decreases.

If its not the aero, what causes such a decrease?

Arachnid and SV801 like above both had open-spoke designs, and neither of them is design for best aero.

Smaller wheel = better aero. The easiest way to think of is that air has to travel about 4% longer distance on the 21" than the 20". That's why you would see better efficiency with a smaller wheel.