Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2022 Hold Mode Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VValleyEV

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2018
Cottonwood, AZ
I love the “Hold Mode” stopping mode in the Model 3. When enabled, the car will come to a complete stop without touching the brake, and hold in position, even if on a slope.

I am looking for confirmation that this option is available in the current “refreshed” 2022 Model S, and I don’t see it. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

I looked at the Tesla Model S owners manual on-line, and don’t see the option. Attached is the option described in the Tesla Model 3 owner’s manual:

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• B8277CA4-D720-4B09-B6A5-FAE6531BB3C8.png
    B8277CA4-D720-4B09-B6A5-FAE6531BB3C8.png
    914.5 KB · Views: 246
The refresh has it as well except it is on at all times and cant be turned off. Unless you drive around in track mode all the time.
I would love that to be true, but …

There is a section in the latest on-line Tesla Model S Manual that says it is necessary to touch the brake to put the vehicle into Hold Mode, just like with my 2018 MS 100D, and that makes me sad. Full disclosure, I am working on rationalizations to trade up to a 2022 MS, because 70 miles more range, faster, yoke steering, etc etc.

So I am not referring to the ability to put the car in Hold Mode by touching the brake, which my 2018 MS has. I am talking about the ability of the car to come to a complete stop without touching the brake, and then again without touching the brake, put itself into Hold Mode as a M3 can do.

Have you driven a post-refresh Model S? Anyone driven a 2022 Model S?

See attachment section from the current Model S On-line manual.

Attachments

• 6E01375A-ACC5-412E-9206-D6F12B3ADC10.png
    6E01375A-ACC5-412E-9206-D6F12B3ADC10.png
    585.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I was confused when I saw that in the manual as well since that's not how my 2022 S works.

You do not have to hit the brake to turn it on, once regen brings you to a complete stop it goes into Hold mode automatically. I only touch the brake when I mess up my regen distance or someone slams on the brakes in front of me.

I'm on a late 2021 software version (hasn't updated yet since I just took delivery 2 weeks ago) but I don't see anything in the release notes about this changing to the method described in the manual.

I would love that to be true, but …

There is a section in the latest on-line Tesla Model S Manual that says it is necessary to touch the brake to put the vehicle into Hold Mode, just like with my 2018 MS 100D, and that makes me sad. Full disclosure, I am working on rationalizations to trade up to a 2022 MS, because 70 miles more range, faster, yoke steering, etc etc.

So I am not referring to the ability to put the car in Hold Mode by touching the brake, which my 2018 MS has. I am talking about the ability of the car to come to a complete stop without touching the brake, and then again without touching the brake, put itself into Hold Mode as a M3 can do.

Have you driven a post-refresh Model S? Anyone driven a 2022 Model S?

See attachment section from the current Model S On-line manual.
Yes, i have a 2019 Model 3 and a Model S plaid the only difference is that on the model 3 I could turn it off.

Reactions: VValleyEV
I also have a 2022 LR MS and yes the auto hold feature is there just like on our Y however not adjustable like the Y.

Was rather disappointed when the gave me a pre-refresh X while in for service as it did not hold like I was used to on both the Y and S. Not what I would call one pedal driving if you need to use the brake pedal at every stop.

Last edited:
Thanks all of your for your responses. I pushed the support team to give me an answer.

They sent me the section of the MS manual. I said “hey I have read this, it says the MS will NOT come to a complete stop without touching the brake unless you have AP or Cruise Control enabled. Is that correct?”

A: Yes, that is correct. The car won‘t come to a complete stop without the brake unless you are using AP or Cruise..

I just sent the support person a text repeating what you have told me here, that I have multiple reports from owners that Hold Mode is absolutely active in the Refreshed MS (I think starting with Raven), no setting required, no brake touching required, and not requiring that AP or Cruise be enabled. I asked them to please sort it out and get back to me, go take a test drive in one of their cars, whatever. That I am interested in purchasing a new MS but not until I can resolve this.

I can send you a short video clip showing the hold icon coming on when I stop if you like but even then they will not acknowledge and would need to escalate it to the engineering department.

One thing to keep in mind here when asking any support line for any product is 99% of the time, the person has very little knowledge of the product and looks it up with help of their "how to answer this question bible". Your answer will only be as good as what is written in there and/or his search word/s used. They do not own the product, nor are they familiar with it. If you really want a correct answer, your best bet is this forum or at the service centre. Forum easily wins by the way. 😉

I upgraded from 2018 S, and can confirm that 2021+ absolutely comes to full stop and holds without AP. It’s very smooth and one of the best driving dynamic changes. The 2021+ also does not have a Regen Low setting, which I previously used with spouse in car to avoid motion sickness. However it’s no longer even necessary because Regen braking to full stop is very graceful. True 1 pedal driving.

Thanks all of your for your responses. I pushed the support team to give me an answer.

They sent me the section of the MS manual. I said “hey I have read this, it says the MS will NOT come to a complete stop without touching the brake unless you have AP or Cruise Control enabled. Is that correct?”

A: Yes, that is correct. The car won‘t come to a complete stop without the brake unless you are using AP or Cruise..

I just sent the support person a text repeating what you have told me here, that I have multiple reports from owners that Hold Mode is absolutely active in the Refreshed MS (I think starting with Raven), no setting required, no brake touching required, and not requiring that AP or Cruise be enabled. I asked them to please sort it out and get back to me, go take a test drive in one of their cars, whatever. That I am interested in purchasing a new MS but not until I can resolve this

If you're not going to believe people who actually own and drive the exact car you're asking about... why bother asking here at all?

If you're not going to believe people who actually own and drive the exact car you're asking about... why bother asking here at all?
So true. Especially when Tesla doesn't always give you a correct answer, or different people give you different answers or often they something is "in spec" to put you off.

My 22 shows the hold icon when stopped. I will say it doesn't seem to be as "firm" as my 3 is or my Y was.

I test drove a 2022 Model 3 before buying my Model S. I really liked the hold feature of the Model 3 and disappointed that isn't not available on my 2013 Model S. When the car gets down below 3 MPG it goes from regen to free roll and I have to apply the brake to get a full stop. I keep the creep feature turned off.

I test drove a 2022 Model 3 before buying my Model S. I really liked the hold feature of the Model 3 and disappointed that isn't not available on my 2013 Model S. When the car gets down below 3 MPG it goes from regen to free roll and I have to apply the brake to get a full stop. I keep the creep feature turned off.
Yes, that's because the 2013 Model S doesn't have permanent magnet motors. All the new S do.

• Informative
Reactions: bselby01
Agreed. I have a 2022 MSP (built c/a Aug 2022 IIRC) and it engages hold mode (and displays it on the screen behind the Yoke) once the car completely comes to a stop after taking my foot off the accelerator pedal. If I'm feathering the pedal just enough, it disengages hold mode and the parking brake light, but otherwise it remains in hold mode with the parking brake lights on until I get back on the pedal. Hold mode also engages if I'm on the brake. OP can confirm this himself by finding a '22 S near him and taking it on a test drive.