Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2022 New Taillight Will NOT Retrofit - Just Confirmed Today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whats stopping you from getting a new quarter panel ;). Also until EPC updates with new quarter panel part probably best to take it with a grain of salt.

Sucks that we can't get CCS1 charging without the retrofit.

Its not the new quarter panel, its the wiring inside of the quarter panel :(
I thought for sure that would be the case. It’s also likely true for headlights.

One way to confirm is looking if something is a new Rev on an existing Part number vs a new Part number in the Parts Catalogue. New Rev indicates backward compatible (replaces all previous revisions). New Part numbers are only compatible with specific build dates, Models or VINs.

I REALLY doubt the quarter panel is new. If they changed anything with the stamping they would have changed the lift gate and gotten rid of the rear appliqué trim altogether. Think.

The wiring may be different. That doesn’t mean someone can’t come up with some sort of adapter to make it work. I remember some vendor made an adapter to retrofit the 2016 LED into the nosecone cars

Reactions: nilesborg
Tail lights are OK but they aren't even animated, so not as tempting to retrofit even if that was possible. If the headlights are vastly superior, I'd be more interested in that.
Yes. I'm eagerly waiting on new headlight info. If compatible, I'll probably do it before next winter. If not... just add it to the list of upgrades to enjoy by the time I'm car shopping again.

Correct you are, it is the EVhub unit. Does seem pretty much the same physical size as the Tesla one though. Still think the Tesla CCS1 unit will fit the S.

Pretty sure the redesign was to make the door opening big enough for the European models that have dedicated CCS inlets which would not work on the existing design/size. One design across the world makes more economic sense. Just need to change the black plug insert section for US or Europe now that there is more room available like on the 3 and Y.

This does not surprise me. When images started popping up, I mentioned that the stamping and even the trunk might be different. Got laughed out of the room.

That said, I am not a huge fan on the taillights. I, like others, really wonder if the headlights are. But I imagine they are not going to be able to.