Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2022 to Model Y 2022 - Should I switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. Looks, comfort, power, and the list goes on... why would you even consider it? I am sure I will get flamed for this very subjective opinion, but I think the MY is the ugliest car Tesla has ever produced. Better looking than a PT Cruiser, but just.
I have to admit that I disliked the Y looks when first released. I think it is a decent looking car now. Not as nice as the S but pretty nice car.

After owning a Y, at $67,500 base now before taxes, I don't really get the value proposition any more. We replaced our Acura RDX Advance with the Y originally. If were back in the market for a CUV, I'd buy the Acura and pocket the 18k savings.
No longer any savings (ignoring much higher fuel, and maintenance costs of the MDX). MSRP of Advanced MDX is $63K before any options, and I bet every dealer is adding at least a $5K markup so it could be a lot more expensive. Starting in 2023, you might also be able to get the $7500 fed rebate too on the Model Y, so it seems the Model Y is the far better bargain just from a cost standpoint, especially when you add in fuel cost savings. Of course, the Model Y is also a lot safer among other benefits it offers. Still, if you require an expensive gas burner, the MDX could work.

Lots of good conversations in this thread. We have a 2019 Performance Model S Raven that we’re thinking of swapping to a performance Model Y. Any comparisons between those 2? We have a 4 year old so the Y form factor works better for getting him in and out of the car but I love the S.

Just curious… are there any reports on TMC of folks trading in a raven MS or better for MYs? If not, that should tell you all you need to know.

I have a 22 Y and 20 S. They are both really nice but come on..this is not a hard decision if you can afford it. And if you can and really need the extra space just reserve a X.

Just curious… are there any reports on TMC of folks trading in a raven MS or better for MYs? If not, that should tell you all you need to know.

I have a 22 Y and 20 S. They are both really nice but come on..this is not a hard decision if you can afford it. And if you can and really need the extra space just reserve a X.
I had a new 2019 Raven S and traded it in for a Y, no regrets. Got tired of the shudder, despite replacing front half-shafts twice. I loved the S and it remains one of the most beautiful car on the road, but the Y suits our family better.

Keeping the S would be just for me as my wife was afraid to drive it.

For all-around family use our 2021 Model Y is the better vehicle and my wife and I both drive it comfortably. Yes, the S rides better and I miss the dual screens but beyond that the Y on 19s rides acceptably well, has more rear legroom, rear seats that recline, more range, and charges faster than our Raven S.

Reactions: splffgates
l
I had a new 2019 Raven S and traded it in for a Y, no regrets. Got tired of the shudder, despite replacing front half-shafts twice. I loved the S and it remains one of the most beautiful car on the road, but the Y suits our family better.

Keeping the S would be just for me as my wife was afraid to drive it.

For all-around family use our 2021 Model Y is the better vehicle and my wife and I both drive it comfortably. Yes, the S rides better and I miss the dual screens but beyond that the Y on 19s rides acceptably well, has more rear legroom, rear seats that recline, more range, and charges faster than our Raven S.
The OP is looking at a 2022 S or Y, range is greater for the S obviously but I was not aware that the 2019 were not comparable. Certainly a new Y vs an older S you’d have to go with the Y.