Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2022 VIN ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im in the same boat and was assigned a VIN a few weeks ago that I rejected, I'd rather wait a few extra months than have instant depreciation. It already happened when I got my 2015 Model S on Nov 27 of the 2015 year and I was so excited for the car I didn't think about things like this. Lots of folks don't seem to care about this but it really hits hard when you go to sell the car even years down the line like I did earlier this year. No one cares that it was built at the end of the year....its one year old in everyone else's eyes the moment the new year hits.

Well something new has happened on the NHTSA site.

tesla 2022.PNG

On the topic of 2022 VINs, while looking at the last flyover, I was able to see an absolute ton of MY's being produced. If there were to be a changeover to 2022, I figured if any vehicles were likely to show an update VIN, it would be with an MY. So, I took a gander on the MY forum and found this thread. Jumping to the last page, it looks like Tesla would have to file papers with the NHTSB in order to label their vehicles to a specific year. So far, while other manufacturers have done so, Tesla has not.

Well something new has happened on the NHTSA site.

View attachment 728104

Nice catch! Logically if they submitted this form last year on 8/24 and 2021 vins started in October. Then if the timing is the same a 9/29 submission should put 2022 vins in November!

EDIT: It appears the earliest we are going to see a 2022 Vin would be ~11/29 manufacture date. According to this requirement about vin reporting: "(b) Manufacturers of vehicles subject to this part shall submit, either directly or through an agent, the unique identifier for each make and type of vehicle it manufactures at least 60 days before affixing the first VIN using the identifier. Manufacturers whose unique identifier appears in the fourth section of the VIN shall also submit the three characters of the first section that constitutes a part of their identifier."

Last edited:
Nice catch! Logically if they submitted this form last year on 8/24 and 2021 vins started in October. Then if the timing is the same a 9/29 submission should put 2022 vins in November!

EDIT: It appears the earliest we are going to see a 2022 Vin would be ~11/29 manufacture date. According to this requirement about vin reporting: "(b) Manufacturers of vehicles subject to this part shall submit, either directly or through an agent, the unique identifier for each make and type of vehicle it manufactures at least 60 days before affixing the first VIN using the identifier. Manufacturers whose unique identifier appears in the fourth section of the VIN shall also submit the three characters of the first section that constitutes a part of their identifier."
Unique model identity…. Not serial

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja

Nice find. But last year's letter was dated 08/24/2020 and 2021 manufacture dates started sometime in early October. I have a friend who's model Y was delivered on 31 Oct to the east coast. It was a 2021. I doubt if Tesla could get it to him in a week to South Florida.

I would think Tesla would do VINs by month since month/year of manufacture is labeled on the car. It would be confusing to have two cars with the same month/year label but be different year models. But that's just me. I don't know if that's how Tesla does it.

We should find out this week.

Nice find. But last year's letter was dated 08/24/2020 and 2021 manufacture dates started sometime in early October. I have a friend who's model Y was delivered on 31 Oct to the east coast. It was a 2021. I doubt if Tesla could get it to him in a week to South Florida.

I would think Tesla would do VINs by month since month/year of manufacture is labeled on the car. It would be confusing to have two cars with the same month/year label but be different year models. But that's just me. I don't know if that's how Tesla does it.

We should find out this week.

Doesn't matter, it's law. Here is the full article of the regulation (49 CFR § 565.16 - Reporting requirements.)

And since that Model Y you mentioned was an EOQ push car, it could have easily made it there in a week.

Tesla could have ignored it but I doubt it.

Doesn't matter, it's law. Here is the full article of the regulation (49 CFR § 565.16 - Reporting requirements.)

And since that Model Y you mentioned was an EOQ push car, it could have easily made it there in a week.

Tesla could have ignored it but I doubt it.
Yes, that's the way I read it, too. Oct is the beginning of a quarter, not the end. As I said, we should know soon.

Reactions: cwanja