Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 21” Wheels : Risk of theft and damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FutureShock

Best Coast Denizen
Aug 30, 2017
NorCal
Just wondering how often this comes up. Yes, I know, I know, it varies by locale. But some wheels/cars do seem to get targeted more than others.

Such info would come in handy when deciding whether or not to pony up for the 21" turbine rims, at an additional cost of $4,500. Y'know? :oops:

Oh, and in other news... all car thieves should be live-fed to rabid wolverines. Just sayin'.

Just wondering how often this comes up. Yes, I know, I know, it varies by locale. But some wheels/cars do seem to get targeted more than others.

Such info would come in handy when deciding whether or not to pony up for the 21" turbine rims, at an additional cost of $4,500. Y'know? :oops:

Oh, and in other news... all car thieves should be live-fed to rabid wolverines. Just sayin'.
not too common, but it appears that your part of the world is totally out of control. so a report like yours doesn't seem too far fetched.

The rims won't fit on any other car, so the target market for rim thieves is limited.

If you have any issues with potholes in your area, don't get the 21" rims. I learned that the hard way.
They got dented/messed up? Eek. :(

Though maybe that's due to the fact that they're paired with super-low profile tires (which is necessary, to maintain the same wheel diameter vs 19" rims paired with a somewhat taller tire).

Though maybe that's due to the fact that they're paired with super-low profile tires (which is necessary, to maintain the same wheel diameter vs 19" rims paired with a somewhat taller tire).

One reason I got the normal wheels/tires on my X. Glorious to not worry about potholes or bumps any longer after 10 years of BMW 3’s where anything would bottom out the low profile tires. The larger S and X wheels look great but tires don’t last long and do have pothole issues!

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
One reason I got the normal wheels/tires on my X. Glorious to not worry about potholes or bumps any longer after 10 years of BMW 3’s where anything would bottom out the low profile tires. The larger S and X wheels look great but tires don’t last long and do have pothole issues!
Yep. Makes me wish Tesla would offer the grey turbine wheels in 19". They'd still look good, and the taller tires would be easier to live with.

Or maybe in 20", and split the difference in terms of tire profile. That might be perfect, in fact. :cool:

Did they ever do that/consider that once upon a time, I wonder?

Destroyed four of them in four years. Two were simply dented and were replaced. Two others hit a pothole (same hole), and not only bent but shredded the tires. New rims, new tires.

You can be careful as you want, but if there's a brand-new pothole on a rainy night, it can still find you.

Destroyed four of them in four years. Two were simply dented and were replaced. Two others hit a pothole (same hole), and not only bent but shredded the tires. New rims, new tires.

You can be careful as you want, but if there's a brand-new pothole on a rainy night, it can still find you.
Awful. Who paid for the rim and tire replacements, you or Tesla? Is there even any recourse there?

Last edited:
Yep. Makes me wish Tesla would offer the grey turbine wheels in 19". They'd still look good, and the taller tires would be easier to live with.

Or maybe in 20", and split the difference in terms of tire profile. That might be perfect, in fact. :cool:

Did they ever do that/consider that once upon a time, I wonder?

I agree really like the look of the turbine wheels but I want more tire because of pot holes especially in winter when they are snow covered they can sneak up. Had a car with low profile wheels before and learned my lesson.

Me. That was expensive. And it happened a week before I traded it. I was being really careful, but still got nailed. Also ended up stranded on the side of the road just 3 km from home, for two hours, late at night.
it's not a problem that is inherent to tesla, any car that has bigger wheel and low profile tires will be prone to being damaged from road hazards. I've driven almost 50K miles in 2 teslas with 19" rims and OEM tires and I've never has any sorts of wheel issues. the moral to the story is to stay away from those low profile tires, especially if you live in an area where there are many potholes and poorly maintained roadways.

It’s not really off topic. The OP is trying to decide whether to pop for the 21’s. He expressed concerns aboit theft but we are pointing out other risks.

The 21’s are beautiful but if your area is subject to potholes (usually due to freeze-thaw cycles) then it is a pretty safe bet you will get bent rims.

I really like the look of the 21" turbine wheels and purchased them when I received my new Tesla. I have both sets now (19 and 21") but the 21" are just a better feel and look over the 19", so I use those most of the time :D. BTW, Ebay or Amazon both have them for a lower price if you're looking to purchase them.;) Remember to purchase wheel locks!!!!!