Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 21" Staggered - Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came across what looks like a new option to now have all season tires on the Model S 21" staggered setup. Does anyone have any experience yet with these?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 7.21.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 7.21.12 AM.png
    973.6 KB · Views: 219
While I don't yet have experience with the Pilot Sport All Season 4 tire I do have some relevant experience with what I believe to be a very similar tire.

I too saw that tire on the new Corvette and thought it might be the tire I've been looking for for use in Colorado year 'round. The problem is that, being as it's so new, there's no feedback from users. Based on previous experience with Michelin "Ultra High Performance All Season" tires I'm not going to be the guinea pig again. I even read solid reviews about those tires online but I can now tell you 100% that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is absolutely NOT a winter tire. Traction in the summer was great, the tread wear fell WELL short of the warranty (I got Discount Tire to prorate a credit on my replacement Conti tires) but the winter/cold traction was abysmal. I have had to drive 21" Pilot Sports in the winter before (didn't choose to, had to... not recommended) and that was a sketchy experience to say the least. These A/S 3+ weren't much difference. The tread pattern was slightly different to indicate maybe they were an all season tire but the compound was NOT up to snuff for colder temps. Once the temperature dove down they became hard like marbles and this created for horribly sketchy traction situations even when there wasn't a lot of snow/ice present.

After last winter I knew I wouldn't go through another winter on those tires again. Went back to the trusty old Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires that I've rocked (in previous versions) for decades now across all of our AWD sedans (Audi, mostly) and will let others do the beta testing on these new AS 4's that you've asked about. I'm closely following the feedback on those tires from people who genuinely live in four-season-climates but I doubt that even glowing reviews will make me come back given how I was burned by solid reviews previously on Michelin tires.

The only caveat is that if I drive this winter on these DWS tires and they're just as squirrely or sketchy I'll have no choice but to conclude it's the cars themselves but I doubt that's the case and it's just the compound Michelin uses for their all season tires to earn the ultra high performance descriptor.