Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S -> 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Model 3 owners here who used to own a Model S before.
Interesting to hear your experience of moving from an S to a 3.
Any regrets, etc.?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think it is important to mention which S you are coming from.

The Model 3 compared to a 2014 or older MS is going to better in basically every single way.

That being said, a 1-2 year old MS will be better in many ways. A lot has changed in a short period of time. It also depends on your specific needs (space, range, etc).

This: "The Model 3 compared to a 2014 or older MS is going to better in basically every single way."

I sold my 2014 Model S 85 (no D, no AP) and bought a new Performance 3. It is absolutely better in every way, except a loaded Costco cart is a little trickier to load without invading the passenger compartment. I love the performance, handling, etc., and the overall fit and finish is far better.

My wife's 2016 S 60 (software-limited 75) is also far superior to my 2014. She would not trade it for my 3 or anything else.

I recently took my 3 in to have the dash pad replaced (material bubbling) and had a 2016 Model S75D for five days. I have several opinions about the S vs 3
1. the visibility is superior in the 3
2. the handling and driving dynamics are much sportier in the 3
3. the pedal to floor experience is better in the 3D
4. the infotainment screen is better in the S, DUH!
5 the cabin space is soooo nice in the S
6 the road presence of the S is REAL.

That all being said, it is just my opinion and at the end of the day I would not trade my beautiful 3D for the loaner S. not even a straight trade. It does make me want to experience a ludicrous performance S tho.

Multiple threads on this. For me 3P wins in all areas unless you need a larger car and some minor things.

Model S 85D over the model 3P.
-Costco runs. It has double the capacity in "trunk", larger frunk as well.
-Heated steering wheel/ heated wipers
-physical steering wheel stalk for AP
-physical stalk for windshield wipers; auto is not that great and I also have ceramic coating on windshield.
-can program the steering wheel dials ie adjusting fan speed by scrolling up/down like how volume is controlled.
-passive key fob; not really needed however, sometimes 1 out of 15 or so times the phone doesnt "work" as intended
-air suspension.
-auto open/close trunk.
-emergency 7 passenger seating (jump seats).

Model 3 did fix some things in model S that some complained about like
-more cup holders
-door pocket
-lit vanity lights

Last edited:
I recently took my 3 in to have the dash pad replaced (material bubbling) and had a 2016 Model S75D for five days. I have several opinions about the S vs 3
1. the visibility is superior in the 3
2. the handling and driving dynamics are much sportier in the 3
3. the pedal to floor experience is better in the 3D
4. the infotainment screen is better in the S, DUH!
5 the cabin space is soooo nice in the S
6 the road presence of the S is REAL.

That all being said, it is just my opinion and at the end of the day I would not trade my beautiful 3D for the loaner S. not even a straight trade. It does make me want to experience a ludicrous performance S tho.

I have a 2018 Model S 75D as a loaner while my P3D is in the shop. I can say there’s just about nothing I prefer about the S over the 3. Driving dynamics are awful, doors are a mishmash of design language (or lack thereof), dash is a mess etc.

I really don’t like it at all.

Oh wait. I do like the automatic door handles. They’re cool.

I have a 2018 Model S 75D as a loaner while my P3D is in the shop. I can say there’s just about nothing I prefer about the S over the 3. Driving dynamics are awful, doors are a mishmash of design language (or lack thereof), dash is a mess etc.

I was impressed with the ride of an S that I drove, with the air suspension. Seemed firm yet compliant. Is that something you’d miss in the 3? :)

-Alex

i like that my model S is never in the shop ... there is an advantage to a 6th year of a given model design

2013 S 85 sold in 2018; 2016 X 90-still have; 2018 Model 3 rwd lr; I had a second model 3 reserved (snow country -was going to get an awd P and sell the first one.) I cancelled that order and have reserved a Model Y. This is my subjective take on it-The S is awesome-,spacious,good looking,stable and comfortable on the highway - power lift gate and pano roof were a big plus .fun to drive.. The 3 is sportier, quick and more "agile" -great fun on country roads-the ride is not as smooth as the S. Also it is smaller and fits better in my garage with the X. The trunk space is limited and for me-old fart pushing 80- it is not as easy to get into. I don't like the trunk. Both cars are rock solid north of 100. I'm sold.

I definitely like the air suspension. Good point. I wish that had been an option on the 3.
My brother and family live on a hill and their driveway is very steep so if i go in at the left angle i hit the bottom of the battery. I have to turn in the neighbor's driveway and go in on a gentle right turn. The driveway I turn around in has a S that can get in his driveway by raising the suspension no problem. That is probably the only thing I would change.

This is a fair and accurate assessment. I had a 2016 S75D that I loved. I traded it for a 2018 P3D- that I love even more. But it’s close. They each have pros and cons. You have to decide what things matter most to you. If you want softer ride as a compromise for handling get an S. If you want that enormous trunk space get an S. It’s mind blowing how large the trunk is in an S. I do miss it sometimes.

The S also has perhaps one of the most beautiful exterior looks of any car out there. The 3 looks nice too but not quite as elegant and refined. I love the lower cost, better acceleration, better range, faster charging, and handling of the 3. I also like the size better for my needs. The S is a really large car and if you don’t need it that’s not a strong advantage obviously.

See if you can get a day or two in each car. Think about what you need the car to do for your lifestyle and assess whether the two cars can meet those needs. My wife has a larger car already which meant I wasn’t having to worry as much about the size and space. That had been my only concern and it has ended up being an advantage for the 3 in my eyes.

I thought the lack of a proper dashboard was going to be a compromise for me. It turned out to not be so at all. I love the control layout of the 3 and the open space ahead of me.

The only thing that I truly miss is the heated steering wheel. Especially on a car that absolutely depends on a touchscreen. It seems that there isn’t an ideal touchscreen friendly glove out there that works for more than several months really well. Of someone has found them let me know.

Craig

Multiple threads on this. For me 3P wins in all areas unless you need a larger car and some minor things.

Model S 85D over the model 3P.
-Costco runs. It has double the capacity in "trunk", larger frunk as well.
-Heated steering wheel/ heated wipers
-physical steering wheel stalk for AP
-physical stalk for windshield wipers; auto is not that great and I also have ceramic coating on windshield.
-can program the steering wheel dials ie adjusting fan speed by scrolling up/down like how volume is controlled.
-passive key fob; not really needed however, sometimes 1 out of 15 or so times the phone doesnt "work" as intended
-air suspension.
-auto open/close trunk.
-emergency 7 passenger seating (jump seats).

Model 3 did fix some things in model S that some complained about like
-more cup holders
-door pocket
-lit vanity lights

Any Model 3 owners here who used to own a Model S before.
Interesting to hear your experience of moving from an S to a 3.
Any regrets, etc.?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
My S is a better road trip vehicle. More space, greater range, air suspension, bioweapon defense mode. The sunroof is a big plus for some too. The 3 is more fun to drive: more nimble and precise. Also smaller so easier to maneuver.

I love the door handles on the S as well.