Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 3G connectivity in south-eastern Europe (Bulgaria in particular)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, everyone,

My question is does Tesla Model S currently have 3G connectivity in south-easter Europe? I am particurarly interested in Bugaria.

My plan is to get a second-hard MS (probably from the Netherlands), but I couldn't find any info if the car 3G conectivity will work in Bulgaria. I found a post saying there is no internet in Serbia, but what about Bulgaria?

It will be a big deal for me, if 3G is not working here.

I thought about that, but I wasn't sure if I can have it powered on all the time? Don't know if the USB port is always on for example, or any other ways to have power?
Because I would need to be able to check the status of the car whenever I want, preheat it in the winter, etc.

You can always install a permanent 3G/4G wifi mobile AP in the car with your choice of Internet Provider.
The snag with this is that the car will switch away from WiFi to cellular data as soon as the car is moving. Another possibility is to swap the SIM for your own one but this means accessing the MCU and obviously, you then have to pay any cellular charges.

However, as Bulgaria is part of the EU and roaming is free within the EU, you should get data connectivity in Bulgaria, using the Tesla supplied SIM (from Telefonica).

@.jg. the question is if the model is compatible with local flavor of 3G (there were several "intermediate" weirdo standards across Eastern Europe, not sure about Bulgaria).
Regarding SIM, it should be accessible behind the cubby (under LCD). See the service manuals linked couple of days back.

@.jg. the question is if the model is compatible with local flavor of 3G (there were several "intermediate" weirdo standards across Eastern Europe, not sure about Bulgaria).
A quick check online suggests that Bulgarian cellular providers use the same 2G and 3G standards and frequencies used in the UK and France: 2G 900, 3G 900/2100. On that basis, it seems likely that a European supplied Tesla will get 3G service in Bulgaria (where there is adequate coverage).